Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vzfree script... Does it and similar still work
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vzfree script... Does it and similar still work

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited February 2013 in General

I remember in 2011 using vzfree quite a bit on SolusVM platform to catch RAM and swap type issues from providers.

Does anyone know if vzfree still is relative and useful or if it has been replaced with another more accurate tool?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I don't believe it works with CentOS 6 but I was using it on CentOS 5 last year.

• Hmmm, for .32 I think the memory showed is the real memory used, and that's all.

For a way to know if your provider is making you swap, I don't know. But sometimes I have an almost empty container, and it starts to swap. For me this is an obvious symptom.

• In my experience vzfree works unless you have vswap

• @yomero said: Hmmm, for .32 I think the memory showed is the real memory used, and that's all.

For a way to know if your provider is making you swap, I don't know. But sometimes I have an almost empty container, and it starts to swap. For me this is an obvious symptom.

What are you talking about? On openvz the swap sits in real ram. Also linux tends to use some swap if it's there due to the 'swapiness' parameter.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said: What are you talking about?

I think they mean a script to check how much RAM they are actually allowed. Not a "fake" huge number in burst.

Regards

• @Corey said: What are you talking about? On openvz the swap sits in real ram. Also linux tends to use some swap if it's there due to the 'swapiness' parameter.

So, if my container has 20 of 128 MB used, and I see like 50MB of swap used, is normal?
    It must have swappiness 100 ¬_¬
    Also, the vswap is not always in RAM (My personal experience in Proxmox). Most of the time it moves the swap to the real swap...

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited February 2013

@yomero said: So, if my container has 20 of 128 MB used, and I see like 50MB of swap used, is normal?

It must have swappiness 100 ¬_¬
    Also, the vswap is not always in RAM (My personal experience in Proxmox). Most of the time it moves the swap to the real swap...

Yes its normal.. and no the only reason vswap will be in swap is if the WHOLE node is swapping.

• I didn't said that
    And no, for me isn't normal.