Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxies - HTTP / SOCKS - what to use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxies - HTTP / SOCKS - what to use?

jeromezajeromeza Member
edited March 2016 in General

Sometimes i'm behind rather restrictive networks. Given that, i'd at times not like to be restricted - so I figured I should set up a small VPS based proxy to get around this.

Now some questions:

a) Would you do an HTTP/S proxy or a SOCKS based proxy? Why would you pick the one over the other)

b) What proxy software would you make use of? Privoxy, Squid, .... ?

Thanks,

Comments

• foxezfoxez Member

I would just setup a vpn OpenVPN or softether, port 443 tcp will most likely work :)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • My work PC is behind a rather restrictive firewall. Honestly, Shadowsocks is awesome for this purpose. You can run it on a cheap nat vps ($3 per year) and the client is ludicrously light on resources. Also multiple users can connect simultaneously to the same server instance, unlike OpenVPN.

• Why would shadowsocks be better than ssh -ND?

• thagoat said: Also multiple users can connect simultaneously to the same server instance, unlike OpenVPN.

There's no problem with multiple users on single OpenVPN instance.

• softether with private or public server would be enough as long as you need no access into the network behind firewall, to quick bypass the network firewall i use ssh with dynamic socks just to browse and download blocked page/file. It's quick and easy to use.

• eKoeKo Member
    edited March 2016

socks should be better i guess!

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I am using a SSH tunnel to one of my VPS with tunneled port forwarding to a polipo proxy instance. Quite easy and realible for occasional websurfing on public wifi etc. Various LES VPS are doing a good job as private proxy.
    On MS Windows I am using Proxy Switcher to easy switch proxy and to automatically start a batch file which does the putty plink magic behind the scenes.
    To redirect all traffic a real VPN like OpenVPN would be better of course.