Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Addiction
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Addiction

thagoatthagoat Member
edited March 2016 in General

Golly, it's bad. I have a Kimsufi KS-1 and a few (sub 100 visitors per day) websites. I also have a HostUs vps for my mail server. Which is probably good SOP.

Here's where it gets darker... I also have a NodeServ VPS (for 2 years now) that hosts nothing.
I bought a yearly box from Yoctobox for Shadowsocks because it's unmetered. I ran a tor node on it for 2 months, now I never use it.

I have 2 boxes from EthernetServers (1 LA, 1 Buffalo) just for the 6 TB of bandwidth they offer, And they idle.

Ashamedly I have a Crissic box that I upgraded 1 week before they sold to QuadraNet. That box isn't even powered on =)

And finally, today I bought a NAT box from i-83 just because I never used a NAT box and wanted to run a SOCKS proxy on it.

Please don't tell my wife!

Comments

• JacobJacob Member

You just have to convince your other half into buying a few VPS's then you won't feel guilty :)

^^ that is ofcourse easier said than done.

Thanked by 2thagoat ATHK
  • My addiction is so much worse.

Every vps I buy is some kind of loss-leader 'deal' I jump on, because of 'loss aversion' syndrome.

It's kind of in control now.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • You should just pick up some dedis and then you can run your own NAT VPS's with plenty of bandwidth and storage :)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@mikeyur said:
    You should just pick up SOME dedis and then you can run your own NAT VPS's with plenty of bandwidth and storage :)

corrected to make it clearer to OP what matters... ;-)

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • @Falzo said:
    corrected to make it clearer to OP what matters... ;-)

You can't just have 1 dedi.. where's the fun in that? You need like.. at least a half dozen.

cries over credit card statements

• @mikeyur said:

I hope I don't reach that stage.... But that is hoping against hope, considering the ever increasing credit card bills since I joined LET

• @Junkless said:
    I hope I don't reach that stage....

You scale up, then scale right down. I've been killing off a ton of VPS's that I barely used - running a couple things or small sites, and migrating them over to my boxes at Delimiter, some big OVH boxes, and my colo boxes.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@mikeyur said:

you work for delimiter, that way you probably got those dedis rackwise for free, don't ya? ;-)

• @Falzo said:
    you work for delimiter, that way you probably got those dedis rackwise for free, don't ya? ;-)

There are perks :)

• cassacassa Member

I don't even know how many servers I have

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@cassa said:
    I don't even know how many servers I have

This.. I'm actually unsure right now..

• Oh I am not alone...

Thanked by 1rahoolm
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

No idea also.

• sinsin Member

I'm SO addicted to buying VPSes and cheap dedicated servers...I could probably fit all my websites on a single dedicated or 2 decent VPSes but instead I just keep buying and buying and buying.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

I have a similar problem and the worst part is that I forgot that I even have the servers active resulting in me paying for something I don't even know I have. But it's so exciting.. :D Among others, I remember running two minecraft servers for a year that noone used and I didn't even know they were up...

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • blackblack Member

I lost count too.

• DETioDETio Member

I lost count too, most are idle now.

• No idea.

• Best money advice I read this year: "Never buy on discount/deals. Instead when you need something, buy it the moment you need it".

Of course, I am not following it. :D

Thanked by 2vimalware Frecyboy
  • I have quite a few NAT VPSes lol, 2 nodes with dedicated IP, costs me like $3+/mth

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • What? No shared web hosting?

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • Me too + cheap domain that I never use. Just let them expiring till the end of period

• mikeyur said: There are perks :)

Any job openings ? ;)

Thanked by 2thagoat mike0000
  • @SilentFarter said:
    What? No shared web hosting?

Lol I just got opened an account with afreecloud.com. So there you have it...

• info_hashinfo_hash Member
    edited March 2016

deadbeef said: Best money advice I read this year: "Never buy on discount/deals. Instead when you need something, buy it the moment you need it".

This is probably true.

If you rent vps/servers that you "might need" some day and let them idle, after a while you've spent a lot of money, money you could have used to buy a a really good vps/dedi from a reputable company when (and if!) you need it to host that project that might need hosting some of these days!

(Yet another capitalist scam but it makes good money to providers who are able to oversell like crazy knowing that most VPSes will stay idle.)

In that view IPv4 exhaustion sounds like a joke. How many of those IPv4 are idling VPSes? ;-)

There's a way out though: don't renew all VPSes you don't use - even that small kidechire box that's idling for more than a year; Just keep what you need, and don't buy even if it's cheap: if you don't use it, even 5$ a year is too expensive!

• Nice Thread. Good to know there are many like me. But to make myself happy, I offer my friends free website hosting ;)