Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi vs Online.net, which to keep?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi vs Online.net, which to keep?

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited March 2016 in Help

I've got a SC Gen2 ($6.53/month) and a KS-1 ($6.00/month) that I use for offsite backups, not sure if I need both of them so I'm wondering which I should keep.

KS-1 Pros:

Better CPU (Atom N2800)

Cheaper (by $0.53/month)

Faster disk speed (99MB/s vs 69MB/s)

KS-1 Cons:

Slower port (100Mbps vs 1Gbps)

Client Area is harder to navigate

Slower support

No automatic billing option

Price I'm being charged is more than the advertised price

SC Gen2 Pros:

Faster port (916Mbps according to Speedtest)

Only device with Online.net (I have a lot of VPSs already with OVH)
I paid a higher setup fee

Better client area

Automatic billing

Faster support

SC Gen2 Cons:

Worse CPU (VIA Nano U2250)

Slower disk speed

More expensive

Monthly price is in Euro so price can raise and drop between invoices

So which would you keep? Based on the pros/cons and your personal experience with both? Thanks! :)

Online vs Kimsufi
  1. Which would you keep if you could only pick one?115 votes
    1. Online.net SC Gen2
      51.30%
    2. Kimsufi KS-1
      48.70%

Comments

• gigabit port sounds better for backups, do you have a large disk on online.net?

• FalzoFalzo Member

I'd probably go with the online box, 100Mbps has always kept me from ordering a kimsufi, esp. for backups. that kills at least your better disk-speed...
    location diversification is a plus on backup strategy, but cpu speed is only a criteria if you practically notice the difference somehow (e.g. encryption or such things)
    leaves the argument of price which doesn't seem that much to worry about if you spare one of both at all.

• I just got rid of a bunch of Online.net boxes, still have a couple of the 2 Eur specials though. Network has been iffy for me, whereas OVH has been consistent.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@linuxthefish said:
    gigabit port sounds better for backups, do you have a large disk on online.net?

Both disks are 500GB. My home network is only 50Mbps (up and down) but I have plenty of servers that take advantage of the 1Gbps port.

@Falzo said:
    I'd probably go with the online box, 100Mbps has always kept me from ordering a kimsufi, esp. for backups. that kills at least your better disk-speed...
    location diversification is a plus on backup strategy, but cpu speed is only a criteria if you practically notice the difference somehow (e.g. encryption or such things)
    leaves the argument of price which doesn't seem that much to worry about if you spare one of both at all.

Good points. I don't use the CPU too much (it's plenty for rsync and the basic tasks I have it perform for chk2.net) so that's a plus. I feel that the faster NIC is more important than a faster CPU but maybe I'm not using it to it's fullest potential or maybe I can use it for other things besides file storage in the future.

I guess for the "here and now" the SC Gen2 is my best bet but overall value I'm not sure which is why I present this topic. :)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

OVH has a rather stable and robust network. I haven't experienced any downtime in ages.
    If you can live with 100Mbit, and you don't want to pay exorbitant 'paypal surcharge' on Online.Net, go with OVH / Kimsufi.

• Also if with kimsufi price different on the website, you can always ask if they can adjust it for you. I have heard of them doing it before.

@mikeyur said:
    I just got rid of a bunch of Online.net boxes, still have a couple of the 2 Eur specials though. Network has been iffy for me, whereas OVH has been consistent.

Good point, I should put some additional network monitoring on both. So far my Online.net server shows 2 minutes of downtime since I started monitoring it last month, while my OVH box shows 11 minutes of downtime for the same period.

@K4Y5 said:
    OVH has a rather stable and robust network. I haven't experienced any downtime in ages.
    If you can live with 100Mbit, and you don't want to pay exorbitant 'paypal surcharge' on Online.Net, go with OVH / Kimsufi.

Luckily the Paypal fee isn't a concern for me since I don't pay with Paypal. :)

@andreblue said:
    Also if with kimsufi price different on the website, you can always ask if they can adjust it for you. I have heard of them doing it before.

I've opened a ticket but so far I haven't heard anything. I'm willing to pay the extra $1/month if I have to, but an explanation from them would be nice.

• @KuJoe said:
    Good point, I should put some additional network monitoring on both. So far my Online.net server shows 2 minutes of downtime since I started monitoring it last month, while my OVH box shows 11 minutes of downtime for the same period.

I've had nearly 100% uptime with both, but OVH will give me a consistent 100Mbps port speed. Online.net is tough to tell whether it's going to be a 20mbps or 400mbps day. I may just be on a switch full of folks maxing out their connects though.

I also find that OVH routes to NA (where the majority of my gear is) are much better than Online.net - extremely evident during peak hours.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2016

The big question is: is your Kimsufi in France or Canada?

Sidenote: I consider the Euro payments at Online a pro instead of a con -- the exchange rate is very advantageous for Americans right now and it's extremely unlikely that's going to change any time soon.

edited March 2016

@Dylan said:
    The big question is: is your Kimsufi in France or Canada?

Sidenote: I consider the Euro payments at Online a pro instead of a con -- the exchange rate is very advantageous for Americans right now and it's extremely unlikely that's going to change any time soon.

My Kimsufi is in France. I just wish I knew how much I was going to pay each month. :)

• since both are in france i would keep the online.net box because it has 1Gbps

• BochiBochi Member

@KuJoe said:
    My Kimsufi is in France. I just wish I knew how much I was going to pay each month. :)

Practiacally you do, it's 4.99€ each month. :P
    But yes, I understand your point in terms of the exchange rate - same thing here for Europeans paying in US$.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

That KS-1 is practically an albino dragon - often heard of, rarely seen in the wild. I'd be tempted to keep it just because they're so hard to get :-)

• @raindog308 said:
    That KS-1 is practically an albino dragon - often heard of, rarely seen in the wild. I'd be tempted to keep it just because they're so hard to get :-)

yeah.."albino dragon" .. as you can find normal dragons in every other park or hillside !

Thanked by 1raindog308

@raindog308 said:

They tend to release new stock between that golden hour of the wife and kid going to work/school and before I had to go to bed. :) I'd probably have to wait a week for new stock and then wait 2-3 days for them to provision the server for me but if I were in a rush I would just pay more to get a better server until I can grab a KS-1.

KuJoe said: They tend to release new stock between that golden hour of the wife and kid going to work/school and before I had to go to bed. :) I'd probably have to wait a week for new stock and then wait 2-3 days for them to provision the server for me but if I were in a rush I would just pay more to get a better server until I can grab a KS-1.

I still remember setting my alarm to get up at 2am to grab a BuyVM before @Francisco 's stock was exhausted.

I've never waited a single second of my life in line for a concert, a movie, or a new iPhone, but I've gotten up in the middle of the night to get a 128mb VPS. What does that say about me? :-)

• @raindog308 said:

that you're awesome ?

sdglhm said: that you're awesome ?

I was thinking more "pathetic" :-)

@raindog308 I've ordered services for friends/coworkers who didn't want to stay up all night before, one of the perks to working the night shift. :)

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited March 2016

I would tell you to keep OVH

Online CEO is an lunatic

I find OVH network is generally good and reliable and the HDD has good speeds (I take it as good thing) and cheap

• @Junkless said:
    yeah.."albino dragon" .. as you can find normal dragons in every other park or hillside !

You used to but people kept shooting at them so they're seldom seen now.

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy doghouch
  • Keeping my ks1, spent too much effort to catch one. That U2250 can't even run a thing!

Wow! Before the poll shows KS-1 in the lead by a lot, then the SC Gen2 jumped to first with a sizable lead, now they're almost evenly split. :)

@david_W said:
    Keeping my ks1, spent too much effort to catch one. That U2250 can't even run a thing!

It can run quite a lot. So far I've thrown a lot at it an the CPU is never the bottleneck for me.

• I have both.

160Gb vs 500gb . 1 gbit/s vs 100 mbit/s

Kimsufi is more expensive, however shows consistent speeds.

Support: both are meh and they always do everything the french way.

Hardware failure was recovered @ovh in 15 minutes vs 2 days on online.

• HeKazHeKaz Member

@jaakka said:

Am I the only one in the world to expect pretty much no support at all beside hardware/network failure for a 7$/month dedicated?!?

Why do people complain so much about OVH/Online support. They sell hardware+electricity+cold+connectivity, not software support ffs. If hardware+electricity+cold+connectivity is not what is broken, then they don't care obviously.

@jaakka said:
    I have both.

160Gb vs 500gb . 1 gbit/s vs 100 mbit/s

Kimsufi is more expensive, however shows consistent speeds.

Hardware failure was recovered ovh in 15 minutes vs 2 days on online.

Kimsufi is cheaper by $0.53. Good to know about the hardware failure response times though. :)

@HeKaz said:
    Why do people complain so much about OVH/Online support. They sell hardware+electricity+cold+connectivity, not software support ffs. If hardware+electricity+cold+connectivity is not what is broken, then they don't care obviously.

I don't see any complaints in this thread except that Kimsufi hasn't fixed my billing issue which I fully expect them to care about.

• TionTion Member

Can the SC Gen2 even handle 1 Gbps?

@Tion said:
    Can the SC Gen2 even handle 1 Gbps?

As I stated in my first post, yes it can. :)

• So I have always heard about a 200 Mbit/s port at online.net and better network ports not being available without a proper $$$ upgrade. Is this acctually not the case anymore? So do all their servers come with a shared 1 Gbit/s port and 200 Mbit/s is just the promised peak speed? Too bad they still wont offer PayPal :/ Otherwhise I'd been with them before long...