Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acceptable wait time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Acceptable wait time

edited February 2013 in Providers

This is a general question...

What do you believe is an acceptable wait time to resolve a customer support ticket?

Say for example, your services comes with a control panel (Direct Admin for example). The provider has installed such a panel, but it is not the version you had hoped it would be. And so you inquire if it is at all possible they install the new version and the answer given is, yes they can and will.

How long do you believe is an acceptable wait time to resolve this issue? Or generally speaking, any issue in which the hosting provider has agreed to make good on something?

Comments

• Under 3 hours on a weekday. Under 12 hours for a weekend, if they work.

• couple of hours at most

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2013

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4269/ticket-reponse-times
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6251/what-ticket-response-time-do-you-expect

Just putting some previous posts out there.

Personally, I'd say that most providers try to answer support tickets ASAP, but at the LEB market I wouldn't be surprised if it took 12 hours per each response for it to be solved. (Obviously that's the max. It depends on weekday/weekend etc.)

• I'll NOT name the provider in question. We're still new to their services and in good faith we're willing to accept that perhaps with all their promotions, they maybe a little more busier than usual.

It happens with the best of them and so we kind of expect it a little when the issue is not mission critical.

Here is a current time-line though for reference

Friday, February 1st, 2013 (14:46) - Direct Admin installed
    Friday, February 1st, 2013 (16:30) - We inquired if newer version could be provided
    Friday, February 1st, 2013 (16:32) - QUOTE -- I can re-install it with the newest setup.
    Friday, February 1st, 2013 (16:44) - Thanked in advance & said we're looking forward to it

Friday, February 1st, 2013 (21:06) - NEW / Different support agent follows up giving us the license number and client ID number. Claims we can do this ourselves.

Friday, February 1st, 2013 (22:38) - We reply saying that is not possible without the log-in credentials for Direct Admin as they are the legal owner of the software & only they can download the copy we require.

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 (02:16) - Tells us there are 4 options to choose from. And ask us which one would we like and how would we like to proceed.

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 (03:15) - We thanks them again in advance and reply with our choice

There has been no further communication.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited February 2013

It's because they probably don't work on Saturday afternoon and Sunday.. I was thinking you've been waiting for days and days.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

With the license and customer ID you can install yourself. There is no need to download anything separately or access some customer area at DA, DA will install and ask you for license.
    http://www.directadmin.com/installguide.html
    It depends what kind of service you have with them. If fully managed, OK, the response time and stuff is really lousy, if unmanaged, they were kind enough to help you so far.
    This is something like semi-managed from what i understand.
    The whole business with managed is not clear enough, they need to specify what is considered ok to do and what is extra.

• The provider is "Semi Managed" and claims to offer support 24/7

No, we are unable to obtain the needed version without being a customer of Direct Admin.

I guess normally such request, at least historically for us, are normally answered quickly & resolved quickly. We've gotten spoiled. LoL

So I guess we'll continue to respectfully wait our turn

• @gubbyte said: hi joe

??

Adam, please, or if you prefer Socially Uncensored or SU. I think you maybe confusing me with someone else or perhaps I fail to understand the "joe" term in this community.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@Socially_Uncensored said: No, we are unable to obtain the needed version without being a customer of Direct Admin.

Are you sure? It's hard to believe as I use last known DA version installed by myself with license number and client ID number provided by host (Dediserv).

From what you posted it doesn't look like they really ignore you so give them some time - it's weekend and even support department maybe work a bit less active as it doesn't seems urgent matter.

edit. it's 1.42.1 not 1.42.2 (beta?)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I would say if your paying for management, check the terms of the management agreement it really depends what that covers.

12 hours during mon-fri is a bit much but it may be that they have not really understood the nature of the issue and perhaps it is not something covered with the paid management you have so they did not give it priority.

The problem with 'Semi-managed' services is that it could mean anything from:

We will assist you within 12 hours with anything to do with base software available via standard repositories for your OS.

or

We will configure anything listed in our management agreement and fully support it with a response time of 1 hour but this does not apply to third party scripts and software not listed in our support options.

or

We will assist with any issues outside of your specific OS, e.g. network and load issues as well as basic advice and support with no set response time.

Any one of those would qualify as semi managed it really depends what your paying for and with all of them it could be strictly between 9 - 5 mon - fri

That said I think your doing the fair thing by not judging them by this one thing alone.

• @Sprint I really have not figured out how to "quote" people here yet. I'm use to communities with quote buttons or links or a quote bb code of some kind.

But to answer your question and view-point,

To my knowledge for our requirements we need custombuild 2.0

To install this we need Direct Admin 1.42.2 (minimum)

We currently have Direct Admin 1.42.1 with no option to update to 1.42.2

The above needs to be done by the licensed owner of Direct Admin ;)

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited February 2013

@Socially_Uncensored said: really have not figured out how to "quote" people here yet.

Highlight the words you'd like to quote with your cursor & click the quote tooltip.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: NEW / Different support agent follows up giving us the license number and client ID number. Claims we can do this ourselves.

He would be absolutely correct, if DirectAdmin's support article is up to date.

From their article at http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29

cd /usr/local/directadmin
    wget --no-check-certificate -O update.tar.gz 'https://www.directadmin.com/cgi-bin/daupdate?redirect=ok&uid=123&lid=1234'
    tar xvzf update.tar.gz
    ./directadmin p
    cd scripts
    ./update.sh
    /etc/init.d/directadmin restart

Where 123 and 1234 are your Client ID and License ID, respectively. Note that if you are running FreeBSD, you might need to add a \ before the ? character in the wget line, and use /usr/local/etc/rc.d/directadmin restart. If there are errrors extracting the update.tar.gz file, then run:

head -n 1 update.tar.gz
  • @AnthonySmith

I believe we're a little spoiled and generally use to getting things done quicker. This is not poor reflection upon our provider, but rather ourselves.

So yes, it's likely they maybe busy with more higher priorities than ourselves.

Our provider quotes this on their web page

" All packages are "Semi Managed" which means we'll offer help with common tasks and provide suggestions based on our expertise."

I would imagine updating Direct Admin, which we're paying for through them, would be a "common task". And as they seemingly have agreed to do it (twice by 2 different support agents), it would be a fair easement that they agree with that view-point. :)

But as said, I'll continue to wait. It is most likely that they are busy at the moment and we're not a top priority for the time being.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: Our provider quotes this on their web page

You do realise that by quoting that anyone will know who's the provider you're talking about?

• @BK_ said: Highlight the words you'd like to quote with your cursor & click the quote tooltip.

Thank you very much. You have been most helpful.

@BK_ said: He would be absolutely correct, if DirectAdmin's support article is up to date.

To my understanding Direct Admin Custom Build 2.0

http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=44743

Requires 1.42.2 which can only be downloaded from the client side and not remotely. That is to say, I can remotely download custom build 2.0, but the installed version I have does not currently valid the requirements (we're on 1.42.1 with no update path).

• I assume its buffalo vps, but just get the license info and client Id from them

• @Kenshin said: You do realise that by quoting that anyone will know who's the provider you're talking about?

Unlikely. I did a Google search just now and turned up several hundred providers. About 10 of them I found here on Low End Box.

People are welcome to speculate, but I'll neither confirm or deny.

• Now we said his name 3 times, does that make him appear?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Now we said his name 3 times, does that make him appear?

Who is CVPS Chris ?

• @Socially_Uncensored said: Who is CVPS Chris ?

The owner of ChicagoVPS

• The reason why we want 1.42.2 is so that we can use custom build 2.0

Our desired requirement are

Apache 2.4.3
    php 5.4 (current if possible)
    mySQL 5.5 (5.6 if possible)

And we'd like to have that all running though Direct Admin for easier management. While we could and have in the past done it without a control panel, time being a limited factor sometimes... A simple point and click is helpful.

Custom build 2.0 provides this. :)

• @gsrdgrdghd said: The owner of ChicagoVPS

I would really hate for you to bother the wrong individual.

• php 5.4 (current if possible)
    mySQL 5.5 (5.6 if possible)

you are the edgiest

• @Socially_Uncensored said: Unlikely. I did a Google search just now and turned up several hundred providers. About 10 of them I found here on Low End Box.

Did you try searching the entire sentence as a complete phrase? In other words, with a " at the front and back. Result has only 2 providers.

• @gubbyte said: you are the edgiest

Not really....

php 5.3 reaches end of life March 2013 (next month). It was released in 2009.
    http://php.net/archive/2012.php#id2012-12-20-1

php 5.4 has been stable for a while now. A lot of hosting providers who offer 5.4 as default. Php 5.5 is currently in beta and once it reaches stable and can support Direct Admin, we'll update to that as well.

MySQL 5.5 has been out for a few years now. So has technically 5.6, but it's not mainstream yet it.

Apache 2.4.3 is the most current stable version.

I guess we prefer current over legacy.