Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serveraxis Miami is offline - Inception Hosting affected - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Serveraxis Miami is offline - Inception Hosting affected

Comments

• @mikeyur

Whoops, made the assumption because when I click the VPS Hosting link on the bottom of the page, it linked me to https://inceptionhosting.com/ :)

• Sad things.

This time the situation took me by surprise, because apparently I don't have the backups for all my data on my instance.

So, to be honest, I am in the hopes to get my data back before getting a new server (HVM instance).

And a big thank you to Anthony, as always, because he is keeping us, informed about these issues.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@FlamesRunner said:
    Has anyone requested migration already?

There has been a few requests from the shared hosting clients as well.

@FlamesRunner said:
    Side note: AnthonySmith, are you planning to in the near future start assigning IPv6 addresses to cPanel accounts?

Soon (tm)

@mikeyur said:
    If I'm not mistaken I think mikho was running that.

If you send in a ticket, I will answer it.

@FlamesRunner said:
    mikeyur

Whoops, made the assumption because when I click the VPS Hosting link on the bottom of the page, it linked me to https://inceptionhosting.com/ :).

The payment for the shared hosting has also been sent to Inception. This issue was also the starting point to seperate the two.
    Btw, I don't see any harm in sending the parent company some clients if I couldn't offer the product? ;) ;)

• As a current Miami customer, I'm happy to wait out the downtime if servers are expected to be restored (or otherwise recreated) in Florida, since I needed servers in that location.

But if that end game is unknown, should I just request a transfer to Dallas?

• I got one random reply to a ticket which I am certain was not intended for me with some out of context text saying that "the van is having mechanical issues", like a accidental paste.

>

That was about a month ago, I thought nothing of it as it was not relevant, and the ticket was related to an IPv6 issue, putting 2 and 2 together now.... could be a volumedrive style effort.

>

Miami to Chicago in a van, 25 - 30 hours drive?

I'm slow. What is this actually implying?

@hostnoob said:

Server Axis also has a Chicago presence.

@rpollestad said:
    As a current Miami customer, I'm happy to wait out the downtime if servers are expected to be restored (or otherwise recreated) in Florida, since I needed servers in that location.

But if that end game is unknown, should I just request a transfer to Dallas?

I don't know if Ant got a reply while sleeping but from the email sent out I wouldn't expect a Miami location, at least not with Server Axis.

• @hostnoob said:

They could be up and moving but not telling anyone, aka I am sure that's what volume drive did...

• lbftlbft Member

Clouvider said: Since they weren't Cogent singlehomed it seems pretty weird.

I was under the impression that the Miami location was pure Cogent, and that everything else was only in Chicago.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@Francisco said:
    rental vans are governed

Ah, but if they were discussing mechanical issues they more likely own it. In which case they could go 80+. Still a 17+ hour drive though if they had two people taking turns. Then again, if they were having issues, that's quite a drive for an older or high mileage vehicle.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

shovenose said: Ah, but if they were discussing mechanical issues they more likely own it. In which case they could go 80+. Still a 17+ hour drive though if they had two people taking turns. Then again, if they were having issues, that's quite a drive for an older or high mileage vehicle.

It has been 48 hours now since they went down, the road trip theory is out the window I think.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

AnthonySmith said: It has been 48 hours now since they went down, the road trip theory is out the window I think.

But what may be doing? Closing the whole Miami facility? Wouldn't this be extreme? Except if they deadpool as a company, but this will affect all of their points of presence. If not, what will they do with their infrastructure?
    IMO, providers that are affected by this situation, should start to think taking some legal mesures to protect their interests. Companies like serveraxis should not be let escape easily from the mess they created...
    As of the road trip, there is not just the road but unracking and racking again, routing etc. This could take days...

Well I suspect given that only around 5 hosts that I know of have made any public comment that they have been winding down Miami for a long time, for clarification ServerAxis were/are housed within Miami Internet Exchange, the physical DC itself is no doubt in full swing.

ServerAxis was housed within Miami-IX with their own equipment, I have tried to reach out directly to Miami IX without any luck.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

AnthonySmith said: ServerAxis was housed within Miami-IX with their own equipment

Do you know what do they have there as infrastructure? Some colocation? A cabinet? A rented space with own elements? Or how big is their point of presence in Miami? If it's just a few servers, maybe they will abandon them there. But if we are talking about a larger number of nodes (let's say, over 30-35) with their routers, then we are talking about a serious asset that it is hard for anyone to just let it die there...

• lbftlbft Member

jvnadr said: then we are talking about a serious asset that it is hard for anyone to just let it die there...

Depends if they own the hardware or lease it.

@jvnadr I really don't know the full extent of the presence, they did have their own networking equipment though that much I know.

I trusted them because they had been around so long, 11 years iirc.

What really has a pit in my stomach is that I just cannot even begin to put myself in the shoes of someone who would do this, businesses fail, things go wrong, disasters happen, we all accept that.

But to handle it in this way shows a complete disregard for anyone, its not just their own customers, but the customers customers, and so on, 1000's of people having a really bad time now because someone is to much of a coward to come forward or to much of a psycho to even consider it necessary.

My suspicion now is that they just shut down Miami because it was not making enough money, they did it late on the last day of the month so no one had time to react quick enough before they started charging everyone's cards the next day to squeeze the last drops out of people.

Now they/he, plans on just staying quiet for a few months until it blows over and concentrate on Chicago, that said it would not surprise me at all if ServerAxis Chicago started falling apart in the very near future as these issues are obviously financial.

Thanked by 2mpkossen jvnadr
  • vpsukvpsuk Member

Hi,
    What are the chances to get my data back (Miami VPS @Inc.hosting), I have a backup from january but all my work during february is on the server, and all the configs which are necessary for me.
    Is there a chance to boot up the servers for a couple of hours to backup every valuable data or ServerAxis is gone forever with the hardwares?

• I thought ServerAxis was in CoreSite Miami, I maybe wrong

vpsuk said: Hi, What are the chances to get my data back

Honestly, getting lower with each passing hour, sadly the lack of information from the only people that can answer that question with any certainty is 99% of the problem.

MarkTurner said: I thought ServerAxis was in CoreSite Miami, I maybe wrong

Your right, I tend to write IX/coresite interchangeably as for around a year I thought it was the same place and it stuck.

• AnthonySmith said: Your right, I tend to write IX/coresite interchangeably as for around a year I thought it was the same place and it stuck.

If you need something on the East coast let @mikeyur know, we have a good variety of large boxes we can get up in minutes.

• HeKazHeKaz Member

@MarkTurner said:
    If you need something on the East coast let @mikeyur know, we have a good variety of large boxes we can get up in minutes.

Minutes? I thought your provisioning time was 1-3 days?

• HeKaz said: Minutes? I thought your provisioning time was 1-3 days?

Standard lead time is 1-3 business days. If its an emergency then @Mikeyur can walk the order through the process and get it expedited.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • tommytommy Member

Everythread become their sales thread

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Who are we tracking down to break knee caps? No one messes with @AnthonySmith.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Doesn't look like there's been any progress on any replies. People on WHT are starting to question how long the Chicago POP is going to be online.

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    Standard lead time is 1-3 business days. If its an emergency then Mikeyur can walk the order through the process and get it expedited.

Does this apply for everyone?

Might need a few custom servers... Not that fancy. E3 / E5, RAID 10, within minutes... :P

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • IshaqIshaq Member

AnthonySmith said: Honestly, getting lower with each passing hour, sadly the lack of information from the only people that can answer that question with any certainty is 99% of the problem.

No offsite backups?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

This is all rented hardware right? Not colocated?

jarland said: No one messes with @AnthonySmith.

I wish that was true, lol.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2016

Time to update this thread with more info.

Sent them an email regarding ServerAxis, and got this response:

Miguel,

I want to follow up on the form you submitted in regards to Server Axis. It appears that they have moved out of our facility in Miami. You are not the first to reach out to us directly.

Would you like to get colocation space with CoreSite directly?

Dustin Hill
    Inside Sales - Account Development
    AWS Business and Technical Professional

My response:

Hello,

That is really weird, did they leave this month? Or in the past?

We're not even sure if they were at CoreSite.

Colocation space isn't needed yet, we might need it though.

Then, their response:

I am unaware of their actual date, but it appears to be in the last month. They use to be in our facility but now are no longer there.

When might you be in need of colocation space?

So I guess you'll never see ServerAxis again.

I asked CoreSite if they had both colocation and servers from CoreSite directly, and told them that, if that is the case, maybe CoreSite can get some data for clients, or create a refugee plan.

I hope I helped. CoreSite are pretty awesome guys though, and I'm sure that they'll do their best to help any ServerAxis client if there's nowhere else to host in Miami, or even, who knows if they have some servers there.