Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

email forwarding: registar/hoster/other?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

email forwarding: registar/hoster/other?

jqrjqr Member

I'm looking for advice on how best to handle email forwarding for my personal site.

I'm looking at forwarding all email to a single Gmail address.

I currently have mxroute, which I love and highly recommend, but unfortunately doesn't allow forwarding to Gmail (for reasons I understand and respect).

Do you recommend I use the email forwarding provided by my registrar (Namesilo), my hosting provider (NearlyFreeSpeech) or something else altogether (say, exim on a VPS)?

Questions and snarky comments welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

You can forward to Gmail with MXroute now, we have outbound filtering :)

Thanked by 2seikan jqr
  • blackblack Member

@jaquer on top of what jarland said, make sure you add a filter in gmail and say "never send it to spam" from your forward email address

• jqrjqr Member
    edited March 2016

@jarland said:
    You can forward to Gmail with MXroute now, we have outbound filtering :)

That's awesome news! Thanks!

@black said:
    jaquer on top of what jarland said, make sure you add a filter in gmail and say "never send it to spam" from your forward email address

Will do.

Just out of curiosity, what would people generally recommend anyway? Say I have an acquaintance in the future that asks me to setup email forwarding for them. I've read it's not a good idea to have the hosting provider do it, because if they go down, your site AND your email are suddenly unavailable. In my case, they also handle my DNS, so I guess I'd be screwed no matter what. Luckily, they have been super reliable. Just passed my four year anniversary with them.

• @jaquer said:

Who is the host?

• jqrjqr Member

@Junkless said:
    Who is the host?

NearlyFreeSpeech.NET