Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net Failover IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net Failover IP

Hi

Anyone got an idea on how to configure a failover ip as a source ip?
It's obviously outside the support scope of online.net.
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Set same MAC

• today it is configured like this:
    em1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr c4:ae:d2:cc:23:cc
    inet addr:X.X.X.209 Bcast:X.X.X.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:602384404 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:774005684 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:674526311406 (674.5 GB) TX bytes:1012062179577 (1.0 TB)

em1:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr c4:ae:d2:cc:23:cc
    inet addr:Y.Y.Y.Y Bcast:Y.Y.Y.Y Mask:255.255.255.255 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

so it already has the same mac.

• Can you reach the failover ip ok? I think your question is how to make stuff running on he server originate from it?

• yes i can reach it ok.. and correct i want to originate from it.

• Are you asking

1 How to use a failover ip

OR

2 use a failover ip as the servers main ip ?

• 2 use a failover ip as the servers main ip ?

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited March 2016

Why you want to do that (?); because of that you call it main IP and not failover, best what you can do is to ask for new ip, but i'm not sure how things will go with that. Never asked before. Good luck.

• well you can bind individual servers/processes to particular IPs with their configuration - check the man pages.

For all traffic, normally I would just swap the IPs,so the one I wanted to use was the 1st address assigned but I think doing that on OVH's network might be asking for trouble :). I'm sure there's some iproute, or failing that iptables trickery you can use... but I'd stick to binding the specific services you want to the secondary IP if you can get away with it.

• @tehdan said:
    well you can bind individual servers/processes to particular IPs with their configuration - check the man pages.

For all traffic, normally I would just swap the IPs,so the one I wanted to use was the 1st address assigned but I think doing that on OVH's network might be asking for trouble :). I'm sure there's some iproute, or failing that iptables trickery you can use... but I'd stick to binding the specific services you want to the secondary IP if you can get away with it.

I can't bind to a specific ip. and when i talked to them they said it is doable with iptables but it's outside their support scope.
    It is not possible to order another "main" ip other than a failover ip.

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited March 2016

I don't know if this will work with their network, but

ip route del default 
    ip route add default via $GATEWAY src $SECONDARY_IP

after you've bought up em1 and em1:0 might just get you want you want. It might also lock you out of your box, so be careful :)

Thanked by 2netomx dj_beirut
  • I'll give it a shot and let you know.. thanks so far!

• 2 things:
    1 - as soon as you type the first command you'll get cut off
    2 - if it doesn't work you'll get cut off

so, try issuing a delayed reboot (say 5 minutes time)
    then run;

ip route del default && ip route add default via $GATEWAY src $SECONDARY_IP

if you seem to be cut off, see if you can still ssh to either IP. If not just wait for the reboot you scheduled :)

Thanked by 1dj_beirut
  • @tehdan said:
    2 things:
    1 - as soon as you type the first command you'll get cut off
    2 - if it doesn't work you'll get cut off

so, try issuing a delayed reboot (say 5 minutes time)
    then run;

ip route del default && ip route add default via $GATEWAY src $SECONDARY_IP

if you seem to be cut off, see if you can still ssh to either IP. If not just wait for the reboot you scheduled :)

that worked like a charm!! thanks.
    is there a way i can make that permanent?

• Great. Lazy way: stick it in /etc/rc.local. Proper way depends what distro...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • it's an ubuntu server 14.