Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sshuttle... Thanks!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sshuttle... Thanks!

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited February 2013 in General

Wanted to say thanks to few folks here who recommended Sshuttle for a simple VPN alternative.

It's simply amazing.

Neatest, easiest way to get out to the world across via SSH ever.

Now to look at the documentation and tweak the crypto and modify it to better suit me :)

Comments

• Anyone doing anything interesting with Sshuttle?

Routing my DNS lookups over it and noticeably faster resolutions (DNSMasq running on remote server that intercepts and caches).

Trying to figure out how to shoe-horn Squid into the mix. Cache repetitive items...

• Hello,
    I have been using sshuttle for about 3 years now. It is perfect for being on the road and on public wireless hotspots. As long as you run a *nix based desktop/laptop, all you need is a LEB with a simple SSH Server running on it. I currently pay for 5 VPSs with different providers for this exact reason.

It also works wonders for accessing regionally restrictive content. I live in the US but sometimes like to watch some BBC content on their website. I just wish the developer came out with a native Android build so I can use my tablet on public WiFi hotspots without firing up a VPN client.

• My only gripe with sshuttle is when it closes the iptable rules it issues causes SSH terminals to disconnect. Meaning my gazillion terminals all go "offline". PITA.

• @pubcrawler said: My only gripe with sshuttle is when it closes the iptable rules it issues causes SSH terminals to disconnect. Meaning my gazillion terminals all go "offline". PITA.

True, it kills just about every connection

• Before I used an IPSEC vpn I used sshuttle. Reas about it in Linux Format, and then on YC. Its awesome, a hassle free solution, needs just an SSH server :)