Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress Move
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress Move

I am looking to move a wordpress site from a shared Server to a vps, The Shared Server currently uses cPanel, The Server I want to get is from ovh and I will have it preinstalled with Wordpress. I have not bought the vps yet as I am not sure if that is the exact one I want. I am moving to a vps as we expect more traffic and the current reseller account we utilize for this site is having issues with not allowing emails to be sent or going to spam.

The Email issue may be something to do with an error in wordpress as we do not even see the emails in the spam or inbox of the email account we had it sent to.

However My question is how do I move the Content from my Current site to the vps.
As I am hoping that will fix the issue.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You run a hosting company and you don't know how to migrate Wordpress?

• If it's a production site, don't risk and hire some professional for this. If you will not be getting cpanel with your vps, just migrating the site won't be enough. You will need to setup a mail server for the emails as well.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

its simple

take a backup of

1. mysql for the wp- database

2. backup of the wp install directory

in the new server

do the following

1. restore the backup of the install directory

2. restore the mysql backup

fix any permalinks issue and .htaccess

thats all and thats quick

also do the needfull for the dns and ns and A record update

done...

• The Duplicator gives WordPress administrators the ability to migrate, copy or clone a site from one location to another. The plugin also serves as a simple backup utility.https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

• @jarland said:
    You run a hosting company and you don't know how to migrate Wordpress?

I understand what your saying I actually no longer run a company. I did minimal hosting work in the past. But no longer have the time to do it. I usually have someone to help with this type of stuff but the site I am moving Is more of a personal Site and I did not want to have someone seeing my admin setting and info within wordpress.

The site is still being developed, but it is for a local campaign and I know I need the contact form and all emails working I have tried different plugins and the test emails work but the contact form on the site does not go through.

• https://www.akeebabackup.com/products/akeeba-backup-wordpress.html

Very easy to backup using Akeeba and then upload the backup to the new server using Akeeba Kickstart. I've done this dozens of times for Joomla and WordPress using Akeeba.

Follow directions, take your time. Don't destroy/cancel old sever until your 100% for sure its working on the new VPS. Feel free to PM me if you need help.

• I will move it for $20 mate.
    @HostHoney

• Oh My GOD

• @HostHoney said:

>

Try VaultPress or BlogVault.

• You could always use a free Wordpress plugin like Duplicator that will do all the steps for you (and it works very well).

Otherwise
    -edit- fuck you cloudflare, won't even let me put in the commands.

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited February 2016

@agentmishra said:
    its simple

take a backup of

1. mysql for the wp- database

2. backup of the wp install directory

in the new server

do the following

1. restore the backup of the install directory

2. restore the mysql backup

fix any permalinks issue and .htaccess

thats all and thats quick

also do the needfull for the dns and ns and A record update

done...

^ this + you will need to do some tweaking of mysql and web server configs on your vps... but I would get someone that did that before... the task is easy if you did it before.

I'll share this little tip with you: you know that you can try this migration at home on a virtual machine or on any spare piece of hardware that can handle Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD... etc.

• sin said: fuck you cloudflare

I upvote anybody that says that. :)

Thanked by 3sin lazyt doghouch
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited February 2016

In case you still haven't figured it out, send me a PM. I'll help you move the site because I am bored at the moment, and migrating a website sounds like a fun way to spend 10 minutes of my time.

• Duplicator's good at this. It builds an arhive tarball and a php installer script. Upload them to the new hosting and the installer connects to the db, and will refactor the db for domain name changes and references to absolute paths, even down to changing the length values in json data.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • done this many times, usually just rsync the files over and dump and re-up the database and copy (in my case) apache config files over. Also php.ini, etc and my.cnf (assuming new server is close to same specs).

The hardest part, at least in my experience, is making sure the new server as all the right php modules installed. The Wordpress docs when I last looked weren't very thorough in this regard.

I spent more time typing "yum install xxx" than I did anything else.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I just released WP Backup Essentials which has the ability to backup the website files separate from the database. Bundled with WP Backup Essentials is a migrate script which downloads the backup archive files and database from the old server and restores it on the new server.
    Visit http://www.dovetechnologies.net/wpbackupessentials.html for details. We have a 50% special running right now that supports up to 10 wordpress websites for just $25 dollars per year.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

HostHoney said: I actually no longer run a company.

and how about your signature?

HostHoney said: HostH0ney.com | CloudLinux | Maria DB | Daily Backups | Pure SSD Fully Managed | Shared | Reseller Servers | Billing System | Premium Network

Thanked by 1tommy
  • @Ole_Juul You would think that CC would be boasting the fact that they have 10 Gbit DDoS protection. Instead, they use CF and install SSL on the front end, not the back.

Even OVH does a better job, can withstand larger attacks, and not just 1mb/second. All this comes at around half price.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member

if email is your only concern.. just enable smtp on your wp(easy via plugin).. get a paid plan from mxroute or a free plan from zoho.. and you are all set

• 1. Make full cPanel backup, install cPanel on OVH then migrate it. 2. Make a backup of home directory/sql n migrate to OVH. Right?

• tommytommy Member

@NancyVPS said:
    1. Make full cPanel backup, install cPanel on OVH then migrate it. 2. Make a backup of home directory/sql n migrate to OVH. Right?

that's enough!!!