Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you about to create another "What do I do with my VPS"?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you about to create another "What do I do with my VPS"?

alterarchalterarch Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hey guys,

I finally have a solution to that old problem that all of us have been having. What to do with a spare VPS. As we can all relate to, it is never nice knowing that you have VPSs lying around doing absolutely nothing. I was looking through some cluster computing and I came across this site:
boinc.berkeley.edu/
What it is is a open source network of clustered computers where you can give up your spare computer's resources (or VPSs in this case) towards projects that you choose. The projects are normally science related, so you can put your server towards decrypting messages from the 1940s all the way to finding equations that will help modern day issues.

This looked pretty awesome to me since I did want to put my spare resources to some comunity use. So, if you have any spare VPSs that you want to put to good, set them to some tasks over at Boinc.

Just to let you know, I am not affiliated with Boinc, but I thought it looked amazing and solved the issue of what to do with a spare VPS

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Going to be shot down by pretty much any provider and rightfully so.
    Most BOINC projects will use 100% CPU 24x7. Some providers explicitly mention in ToS, that software which does this, e.g. SETI@home, Bitcoin etc, is not allowed. With the rest it will simply count as resource abuse. You are a silly person for even thinking to try this on VPSes.

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited February 2013

which provider allowed to run this kind of grid computing?

afaik this all distributed computing like this will consume all CPU usage

• Erm. As much as I love this and the purpose behind it, from my experience if it constantly uses too much CPU and eats up tons of I/O, technically this could be considered "Abuse". I believe recently it happened with a URPad VPS (or was it another provider?) on LET.

• Resource abuse unfortunately.

• Hmmm. That's a shame. @rm_ insulting is always the best way to bring across a point, isn't it?