Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Openvz set up possibility
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Openvz set up possibility

support123support123 Member
edited February 2013 in General

Currently the server has 4*1TB hard disc.Now i want to host one vps in a ssd drive instead of the SATA drives.is this setup possible with solusvm openvz.For remaining vps,I want them to host in the SATA drives.I need only one vps in ssd.
Anyone have experience with this type of setup?

Comments

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2013

You can do this by mounting the SSD as/under /vz/private/vpsid

So as an example you would create the VPS.
    Move the vps folder from /vz/private/vpsid to say /vz/private/vpsid_backup
    Mount the drive as /vz/private/vpsid
    Copy the files in /vz/private/vpsid_backup to /vz/private/vpsid
    Try booting the VPS.

If you edit the vz.conf file as far as I am aware you will change the mount point for ALL vps not for just one.

• @Jack said: You'll need to edit /etc/vz/vz.conf it has /vz/root , /vz/private edit it to what partion you have the ssd on.

I need to host only one vps is ssd.will this affect the other vpses?

• @BlueVM said: If you edit the vz.conf file as far as I am aware you will change the mount point for ALL vps not for just one.

I thought that as well :)

• @Jack - That will not work and if your server reboots one or more VPS wouldn't boot with it. Why bother to do the complex route when you can just mount the drive?

• @BlueVM Your one look good to me

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@BlueVM said: If you edit the vz.conf file as far as I am aware you will change the mount point for ALL vps not for just one.

It just changes it for newly created ones.

The existing ones have their paths set in their own conf files (e.g. vzid.conf)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

You could ask your team of highly experienced admins?

• support123support123 Member
    edited February 2013

@AnthonySmith said: You could ask your team of highly experienced admins?

They told me of the same thing as @BlueVM

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2013

@Jack - Proof? Documentation from openvz? Something that suggests I'm 100% wrong? I'm fairly confident my method is correct and no one else here besides you has yet to chime in. Your method might also work, but from a future administrative perspective it'd be far easier to do my method.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@BlueVM said: @Jack - Proof? Documentation from openvz? Something that suggests I'm 100% wrong? I'm fairly confident my method is

Just because it 'works' doesn't mean it's remotely the correct way.

Randomly mounting directories into the /vz/private folder is asking for trouble with quota files and the likes.

While solus doesn't support this as far as I know, all you'd have to do is like Jack mentioned, update the path in the *.conf file, move the contents and solus won't give two hoots since solus does (almost?) everything via VZCTL anyways.

Francisco

• Go with Jacks method.

• support123support123 Member
    edited February 2013

@ShardHost said: Go with Jacks method.

Will try both methods later on :) Thanks for all suggestions

• twaintwain Member
    edited February 2013

You could pre-determine what the veid will be, and then symlink the vz root to the ssd mountpoint before creating the vps. Just a thought, not sure if it would work, others might have input.