Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about upgrading laptop CPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about upgrading laptop CPU

hostnoobhostnoob Member
edited February 2016 in Help

So my laptop has an i3-2350m that can be replaced (G2/rPGA 988B) and I'm thinking of upgrading it to an i5-3340M (same socket, TDW, everything)

I upgraded the CPU in the laptop I'm using now (T2370M to T6400), and it's been working fine for years, but I'm not sure if the excess heat from an 3rd gen i5 in a laptop made for a 2nd gen i3 will be a problem? Or is my laptop designed exactly the same as the same model sold with an i5 would be? And therefore not a problem?

Also, I have a Radeon 7670M in here, will that cause any compatibility issues?

Comments

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited February 2016

hostnoob said: is my laptop designed exactly the same as the same model sold with an i5 would be?

Surely that information is findable on the net. I see they're both 35 watt, so presumably yes.

Edit to add, the reason that the different computing powers have the same wattage is that the i3 is 32nm lithography and the i5 is 22nm.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @Ole_Juul said:
    Edit to add, the reason that the different computing powers have the same wattage is that the i3 is 32nm lithography and the i5 is 22nm.

Thanks. I noticed that after I posted. Should produce less heat than a 32nm right? so I should be going for a 3rd gen rather than 2nd gen?

• hostnoob said: but I'm not sure if the excess heat from an 3rd gen i5

As far as my understanding goes the TDP value can be used to answer that question for you.
    This number shows the power dissipation of the CPU so finding one with a similiar value should not get you problems with your cooling system.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Bochi said: As far as my understanding goes the TDP value can be used to answer that question for you.

Well in this case the TDP is staying the same so the consideration is only the amount of heat generated. In both cases the amount of heat is 35 Watts.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Witch notebook model you have ?

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • hostnoob said: So my laptop has an i3-2350m that can be replaced (G2/rPGA 988B) and I'm thinking of upgrading it to an i5-3340M (same socket, TDW, everything)

May be, i am missing something, i3-2350M uses socket PPGA988, while i5-3340M supports sockets FCBGA1023, FCPGA988. It is hard to tell, if they will be compatible, unless you have the motherboard model / chipset details.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/71257,53438

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @tsanten said:
    Witch notebook model you have ?

L850-11V

@dg51 said:

Well, according to Google, PPGA988 is compatible with FCPGA988

I ordered it anyway, I'll post back whether it works or not :P

• Hi hostnoob,

You shouldn't have a problem with the upgrade, they're both producing the same heat and use the same amount of power to work. The i5 is a little smaller so it compensates for it.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

DAC said: is a little smaller so it compensates for it.

That is what my wife says to me!

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Speaking of laptop CPU upgrades if anyone has one of these kicking around they don't want they can send it to me. Core 2 Duo T9900 SLGEE (E0) Yeape it is older but so it my lappy.

GL to @hostnoob I have successfully done this on one of my old laptops. It was an HP ZV5000 I still have it and use it occasionally. Works great for a single core beast.

• hostnoob said: L850-11V

In the first place you have to be sure that you can update the cpu because a lot of this serie are soldered directly on the mainboard (easy to see when you open up the pc ).

In second place with the i7-2640m you are safe and the same performance like the i3-3340m.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited March 2016

@tsanten said:
    In second place with the i7-2640m you are safe and the same performance like the i3-3340m.

Nah I checked that. BGA is soldered, PGA (which I have) is fine

Also if performance is similar I would rather get the 3rd gen i5 than 2nd gen i7

Plus the i5 is half the price, and I already ordered it anyway lol