Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To replace HDD or not? thats the question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To replace HDD or not? thats the question

xrzxrz Member

Error 1 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 20236 hours (843 days + 4 hours)
When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

should i replace it? it from smartctl

Comments

• @xrz said:
    Error 1 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 20236 hours (843 days + 4 hours)
    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

should i replace it? it from smartctl

No because you are smart and have frequent backups of your data so you have no need to replace the disk.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2016

That line on its own might not be anything to worry about (it depends).
    Post the entire output of smartctl -a /dev/sdX.

• I once read that "UDMA_CRC_Error_Count" more likely means a faulty cable or connector / controller than a soon to die HDD.
    Is it located in a local machine of yours? Then I would suggest trying a different SATA port or another cable? Maybe even reseating the plug helps...
    But no reliable source of this information on hand right now. :P

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited February 2016

It's a hitachi drive, I bet it runs for a few more years yet! 20300 hours power on time isn't really too long.

I've got those SMART error things you have at the bottom on a few of my drives for some years, and nothing has happened yet.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

If i were you i'll keep an eye on it check every weeks if the number of errors increase or not.

You can also set up a cron that send you the command print by mail.

• i wouldn't worry about replacing it. But regular backups are a must, you never really know when a drive can die on you