Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supermicro IPMI help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Supermicro IPMI help

netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Hi! I received today a IPMI logins for a Supermicro motherboard... I can't connect via Console Redirection, Java says Connection failed. I don't have any trouble with nay of my services but this one.

I can't reset IPMI because I don't have permissions.

Any help? Thanks!

Comments

• Do you have OS access?

• try resetting the ipmi with

ipmicfg -fde
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@UbiquityDustin said:
    Do you have OS access?

Nope, that's why I needed IPMI access :(

@camarg said:
    try resetting the ipmi with

ipmicfg -fde

On the OS?

• netomx said: On the OS?

Yes

You can also use ipmitool to change users and passwords

• 'ipmicfg -fde' would restore to factory defaults and isn't really advisable.

You'll need OS access or a power cycle to fix the iKVM issue you're having

You could also try IPMIview to get to the iKVM

• You can reboot the BMC in the ipmi. I've seen issues with older versions not displaying video/connection failed. A BMC reboot usually sorts it.

• Try cold rebooting it. You can do this from a remote server.
    Replace 192.168.1.1 with the ipmi ip address, user with the ipmi username and password with the pass for the user

ipmitool mc reset cold -I lan -H 192.168.1.1 -U user -P password
    Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • Guys- he already said he doesn't have the privileges you would need to make those commands- "I don't have permissions."

Thanked by 1netomx
  • UbiquityDustin said: Guys- he already said he doesn't have the privileges you would need to make those commands- "I don't have permissions."

In that case he just has to reset it and configure it again.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

If you still have OS access (and are running Linux) you can reset it using the following command:

ipmitool mc reset cold

If not, you can ask your provider to reset the IPMI.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • qps said: If you still have OS access (and are running Linux) you can reset it using the following command

Nope, you don't reset it with the command you mentioned you just do a "cold" reboot

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • netomx said: Nope, that's why I needed IPMI access :(

Without access to the OS, you are going to need help from the datacenter, either borrow an IP-KVM or they can resolve the issue with console access. What OS is installed once you do regain access? http://www.openfusion.net/linux/ipmi_on_centos works well for all RHEL based distro's, I'm sure there is something for Debian as well. Supermicro has tools for Windows and linux as well for access, but OpenIPMI is nicer for most things.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

camarg said: Nope, you don't reset it with the command you mentioned you just do a "cold" reboot

What I provided will reset the BMC/IPMI, which is sufficient to get the Java console working again.

• Also worth trying HTTPS if the IPMI supports it, as if it's anything like the aspeed KVM on my asrock board the java console won't do anything over HTTP but will work over HTTPS

• What dedi provider is it? Ask if they can give you admin access so you can reset the unit by yourself, the whole point of out of band management is not having to open a ticket.

You can add your own admin user through ipmitool, but remember to remove it when you leave and it might piss some providers off.

• camarg said: Nope, you don't reset it with the command you mentioned you just do a "cold" reboot

Just tested it works fine from https://i.imgur.com/Qwkw7Vy.png to http://i.imgur.com/G3WpvmJ.png fine.

Whatever you do don't reset the configuration, that really will piss your provider off!

Thanked by 1qps
  • i can help you really fast on skype if you want, depending on whats actually wrong with the ipmi

Well, I don't want to say the provider's name :P

I don't have access to the OS, bc I screwed up the network config with Proxmox :(

I have made a ticket nevertheless, I hope HE can reply quickly.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@netomx said:
    Hi! I received today a IPMI logins for a Supermicro motherboard... I can't connect via Console Redirection, Java says Connection failed. I don't have any trouble with nay of my services but this one.

I can't reset IPMI because I don't have permissions.

Any help? Thanks!

Mate you can reset that... ;)

• netomx said: Well, I don't want to say the provider's name :P

netomx said: I hope HE can reply quickly.

You are the master of subtlety

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

PMed you with some solution, in case you have full admin access.

Thanked by 1netomx

@miTgiB said:
    You are the master of subtlety