Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS for Plex (West Coast)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS for Plex (West Coast)

CrogicCrogic Member
edited February 2016 in Requests

CPU: 1 - 2 CPU
HDD: 100 - 500 (Raid 10)
MEM: 1 - 2 GB
1 IPv4
Bandwidth: 1GBPS
Traffic: 5TB - 10 TB/month
KVM/XEN
Budget $65 yr

Comments

• Seems like quite a low budget for that level of resources. It will be interesting to see what responses you get.

Thanked by 2Crogic shovenose
  • why do you need RAID 10 for Plex?

• Plex is rather resource intensive if you transcode media files. I highly doubt that you'll find anyone running a stable and viable business operation willing to provide the specs you want at the price point of 5.5 bucks a month.

• I wont be transcoding

• @Crogic said:
    I wont be transcoding

That's quite a bit of storage & bandwidth for $5/mo on KVM/Xen. You could probably find a 150-250GB Storage KVM plan for ~$5/mo, but you'd be looking at 1-2TB of bandwidth tops. HostHatch, OnraHost, Vultr(?) etc.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Unless you are 100% sure that your player / device profile can natively support the file format that you're going to stream, and that your connection speed can keep up with it, plex server will transcode the A/V stream to offer smooth playback.

More Info - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201566396-How-are-Direct-Play-Direct-Stream-and-Transcoding-different-

• Nothing against the OP and his choice of Plex, but why Plex? I use a Roku as my only streaming device and a basic apache setup as my media server, takes 1 core, less than 128mb of ram(43mb) and then the space needed

• @miTgiB said:
    Nothing against the OP and his choice of Plex, but why Plex? I use a Roku as my only streaming device and a basic apache setup as my media server, takes 1 core, less than 128mb of ram(43mb) and then the space needed

Ease of use/lots of flexibility across platforms, way more user friendly when it comes to sharing access with family & friends who aren't as tech savvy.

Thanked by 2Nekki trewq
  • if you're not going to transcode then pretty much any cheap vps will work fine. i rarely go over 2tb of bandwidth each month for mine.

• bersybersy Member
    edited February 2016

I realize XenPower XP-XL is not exactly what you need but it's still close - 2 vCPU 2GB RAM, 400GB RAID6, 4TB bandwidth for €69/year.

PS I didn't notice a West Coast request, my mistake.

• Time4VPS maybe

• mikeyur said: Ease of use/lots of flexibility across platforms, way more user friendly when it comes to sharing access with family & friends who aren't as tech savvy.

Pretty much this is the only really good reason for Plex, if it wasn't for non-techie friends and family and RP2/w Kodi + a half-decent NAS would do me just fine and cost a hell of a lot less.

• i consider myself a seasoned nerd and i friggin love plex

• However, Time4VPS limits IO speeds so I'm not sure how well that'll work.

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

We're Seattle based, Xen, SSD, and running a 40% off for life ("winter2016") on our Pure SSD line. Our cache line might work for you as well, but no 40% off (sorry)... PM with questions.

• @Virpus said:
    We're Seattle based, Xen, SSD, and running a 40% off for life ("winter2016") on our Pure SSD line. Our cache line might work for you as well, but no 40% off (sorry)... PM with questions.

What? Which your offering withing op budget?