Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Specials available - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Specials available

Comments

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

So just checking, I got M378B5273DH0-CH9 - which I see is unregistered Unbuffered and not ECC. In an 08161. Is it worth me asking them to swap it out?

• How would I smartctl the disks in 8161? (RAID1)

• @Yoda said:
    How would I smartctl the disks in 8161? (RAID1)

Try with /dev/sgx

Thanked by 1Tom
  • Thanks! Ouch...

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   057   057   000    Old_age   Always       -       38038

Anyone able to tell me if there's anything bad? https://paste.ee/p/YXD4o

• JunklessJunkless Member
    edited February 2016

any way to check disk info on the dual xeon ? (RAID 1, centos 6)

• @Makkesk8 said:
    Submit a ticket.

Cancelled the process, rebuilt RAID and reinstalled. Working fine now.

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited February 2016

@Yoda said:
    Thanks! Ouch...

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   057   057   000    Old_age   Always       -       38038

Anyone able to tell me if there's anything bad? https://paste.ee/p/YXD4o

15 Reallocated sectors
    1 Reported uncorrectable errors
    Drive is very old !
    and outdated firmware

Thanked by 1Tom
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited February 2016

They did an electric reset on my server and now it's up again. Debian 7 installed and iDRAC running smoothly.

AND it crashed again, FFS!

They should provide a list of OS you should run when you want to use iDRAC for more than 5 minutes.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @mpkossen I tried twice to install Debian 8 from netinstall (with non-free firmware included), and each time, just after the country selection, it would crash IDRAC and required a ticket for a manual eletric reset. I gave up and instead followed the same path @karjaj did... created my custom partitions and made a large dummy one at the end to prevent the bootstrap installer from messing up my partition config.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @zeitgeist said:
    mpkossen I tried twice to install Debian 8 from netinstall (with non-free firmware included), and each time, just after the country selection, it would crash IDRAC and required a ticket for a manual eletric reset. I gave up and instead followed the same path karjaj did... created my custom partitions and made a large dummy one at the end to prevent the bootstrap installer from messing up my partition config.

The thing is, I was installing Ubuntu 14.04 and the server was running Debian 7 (as Benedikt recommended) so I figured it shouldn't crash.

It does crash at the same point every time, which is the point you have mentioned.

I hope they'll be able to come up with a resolution because I prefer to install over iDRAC rather than using their system and fixing things afterwards.

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited February 2016

mpkossen said: I hope they'll be able to come up with a resolution because I prefer to install over iDRAC rather than using their system and fixing things afterwards.

I just figured why it would crash IDRAC... the connection via IDRAC is somehow using the main network link. When the installer queries the network card, after the country selection, it also resets it - and that causes IDRAC to reset/crash.

I just happened to crash it on a running system while setting up a network for KVM with:

ip link set dev em1 down

That's pretty crazy... you do that and you won't be able to use IDRAC anymore nor can you do a reboot via the Online.net console ("Error: Reboot failed", "Server power Unavailable"). You'd think/hope/assume that IDRAC is on a dedicated link and accessible no matter how the network card is configured on the host.

Thanked by 2karjaj mpkossen
    edited February 2016

Here is a related link describing the issue:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hardware.dell.poweredge/46151

That’s because you’re using “shared NIC” mode.

Long ago, internally we deployed some early servers in “shared NIC” mode. We’ve got a few dusty lab servers yet that may still use that.

And here describing the various configuration options:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN85572/en

Shared — Select this option to share the network interface with the host operating system. The remote access device network interface is fully functional when the host operating system is configured for NIC teaming. The remote access device receives data through NIC 1 and NIC 2, but transmits data only through NIC 1. If NIC 1 fails, the remote access device will not be accessible. Basic Installation of the iDRAC6 35

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Glad to see there was nothing to trump my trusty Dedibox 2014-whatever-the-fuck-it-was-called.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @zeitgeist: I've added that information to the support ticket. Not sure if the guy on call can help with that (he's taking hours to power cycle my server) but hopefully it will lead to something.

The whole reason I buy dedis is so I can used iDRAC (or similar) to reinstall the OS as needed the way I want it to be installed.

• Thanks, I also sent a ticket to support (to Etienne) since my machine is inaccessible again. Thing is, according to the control panel, we have iDRAC Enterprise, which should allow to be connected with its own NIC port.

Perhaps it's a misconfiguration issue that can be fixed... when you reboot your computer there should be an option to configure iDRAC (if you have console access with IDRAC that is ;)).

• mpkossen said: The whole reason I buy dedis is so I can used iDRAC (or similar) to reinstall the OS as needed the way I want it to be installed.

I have had servers without KVM over IP access, and where KVM over IP was only available on demand and sometimes with a fee. Thing is - if I know that I don't have KVM access, then I handle things differently and am much more careful with things like "ip link set dev em1 down". But since I assumed we have iDRAC when the host's network goes down...

• With Centos 6.7 i not got any problem. Seems ubuntu or debian got issues with this.

hm..

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2016

Well, My E3 stucks since 3 Hours+ at Installation since i changed to Software Raid 1.

Still waiting for Support response.

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited February 2016

@Neoon said:
    Well, My E3 stucks since 3 Hours+ at Installation since i changed to Software Raid 1.

Still waiting for Support response.

Strange. Theese boxes are the.. old ones what nobody need at retail price? So thats a special price? Or just shit happens?

:)

edited February 2016

Apparently, SWAP on Raid 1 breaks the Installation and hangs it up. GG

Edit: Seems like the IPMI has crashed.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2016

Mine is sitting in rescue waiting on the ram being looked at. The ECC was a key factor for me. I was going to cancel and get a refund however they said they would look into replacing the ram.

For me the customer service is great, very responsive, getting the techs to go and look at the ram is something else.

Will wait and see what they come back with.

• @mpkossen said:
    I hope they'll be able to come up with a resolution because I prefer to install over iDRAC rather than using their system and fixing things afterwards.

Mine has virtual media disabled. Can you use ISO's on yours?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Lee said: Min is sitting in rescue waiting on the ram being looked at. The ECC was a key factor for me. I was going to cancel and get a refund however they said they would look into replacing the ram.

I've just joined the "RAM replacement club". Waiting as well.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @Silvenga said:
    Mine has virtual media disabled. Can you use ISO's on yours?

Ditto. before I could attach ISOs; then, with the first crash, they also upgraded the BMC, and with it disabled virtual media.

You could still install your custom ISOs if you first use their bootstrap install and then "attach" your installation ISO via grub. There are various online tutorials how to do that. Unfortuntely - in various cases, like with Ubuntu or Debian, this is not going to work either because the installer resets the NIC and with it kills the IDRAC connection.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2016

My, my, these servers must have been racked and working for years, used by happy customers without a single complaint. Then a day comes when they sell to a bunch of LET users, and now they have to go around replacing all the damn RAM, unscrewup someone's iDRAC daily, upgrade BMCs, and whatnot.

• Bought the 8162. After booting, one of the hard drives was shot. They replaced it, and now it seems like there is a problem with the NIC as I'm only getting 10MB/s up and down no matter when I run the speedtest.

The disk I/O also seems to be crap. I'm getting 60MB/s where as a buddy of mine who bought the exact same server (and has had no issues) is getting 80-90MB/s down and around 40-50MB/s up consistently and an I/O of 250MB/s.

Waiting on support to get back to me regarding speed issues.

edited February 2016

mpkossen said: I've added that information to the support ticket. Not sure if the guy on call can help with that (he's taking hours to power cycle my server) but hopefully it will lead to something.

Yeah... guy from the support ticket replied that it's all because of IDRAC 6 being buggy (and that IDRAC 7 was supposedly better). In this case, however, I don't think it's a bug... but due to IDRAC sharing the NIC with the host OS. Under "iDRAC Settings -> Network" it clearly says "NIC Selection: Shared", and it cannot be changed with normal user rights. Other options would be "Dedicated" and "Shared with Failover: LOM 2". Dedicated would work as expected.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2016

rm_ said: used by happy clueless customers

FTFY

• rm_ said: Then a day comes when they sell to a bunch of LET users, and now they have to go around replacing all the damn RAM

All we're asking is that we get what they told us we'd get. Isn't that a fair expectation with any purchase, no matter how big or small?

edited February 2016

Edit: It runs even in Raid 0 if you select No Raid

Seems like a common problem.

Thanked by 2ehab iKeyZ