Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Specials available - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Specials available

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@mpkossen said:

Just gone in the CP but still Online?

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @Neoon said:
    Just gone in the CP but still Online?

Nope. Offline, no BMC/iDRAC, nothing working.

Benedikt responded to the ticket very quickly. The server is now locked for maintenance and they're working on it.

• mpkossen said: Mine just went poof it seems.

Which model was it again?

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited February 2016

@Amitz said:
    Which model was it again?

Noticed some non-ECC notices during boot by the way, but never got the chance to check it since it went away during the OS installation.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • I have Samsung M378B5273DH0-CH9 in mine, which is also Non-ECC.

• LeeLee Veteran

It's disappointing that the ram is not ECC, I know it's cheap and all but part of the draw was the price and having ECC.

• @Lee said:
    It's disappointing that the ram is not ECC, I know it's cheap and all but part of the draw was the price and having ECC.

Yep. It's even listed as having ECC RAM on their Wiki. Then again, at these prices...

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

Mine says:

root@b02:~# dmidecode --type memory
    # dmidecode 2.12
    SMBIOS 2.8 present.

Handle 0x1000, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
    Physical Memory Array
        Use: System Memory
        Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
        Maximum Capacity: 32 GB
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Number Of Devices: 4

It's the 08164 (E3-1230v3) model. Guess I was lucky...

• @mpkossen said:
    Benedikt responded to the ticket very quickly. The server is now locked for maintenance and they're working on it.

When your server went "poof" state?
    Mine 08161 disappeared, when I tried to install Debian 8 with IRDAC for custom partitioning.
    First installation time, Debian 8 network not worked, because firmware for NIC not found.
    Then, 2nd try, I loaded firmware, that Debian 8 said, and POOF.. :(
    Server state "unavailable".

Ticketed now, and waiting for answer...

• Amitz said: It's the 08164 (E3-1230v3) model. Guess I was lucky...

Isn't that just what the board supports?

You should check the ram itself, here e.g. it's non-ecc ram:

Handle 0x002B, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
    Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x0029
        Error Information Handle: No Error
        Total Width: 128 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 8192 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM A1
        Bank Locator: BANK 1
        Type: DDR3
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
        Speed: 1333 MHz
        Manufacturer: 80CE000080CE
        Serial Number: 85DC22E8
        Asset Tag: 021303
        Part Number: M391B1G73BH0-YH9  
        Configured Clock Speed: 1333 MHz

• bashlykbashlyk Member
    edited February 2016

Be aware. Bought the 16 Gb box. Once Proxmox was loaded it showed 8Gb of RAM. Opened a ticket with support. They told me to choose an option to replace the box under my account. I received a message that the server cannot be replaced as there is none available.
    They fooled around for a day or so and told me that they cannot fix it. Really? Their technical support cannot replace a freaking RAM in a box? I am shocked.
    Now the are telling me they cannot replace the box. The only option they have is to refund me.
    I am thinking of dumping my existing dedi with them.
    What if something happens to the hardware and they come back with lame answers like this...
    This is unacceptable customer service.

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited February 2016

karjaj said: When your server went "poof" state? Mine 08161 disappeared, when I tried to install Debian 8 with IRDAC for custom partitioning. First installation time, Debian 8 network not worked, because firmware for NIC not found. Then, 2nd try, I loaded firmware, that Debian 8 said, and POOF.. :( Server state "unavailable".

Ticketed now, and waiting for answer...

The same happened here with my 08162. First tried using IRDAC with a mounted ISO. When Debian began the install, it suddenly disconnected the IRDAC console and in the online.net dashboard was the message "An error occurred while contacting IDRAC on your server. Please contact our support team for more information." I contacted them and they rebooted the machine for me and also updated the BMC - with the result that I could no longer mount ISOs through IRDAC (virtual cd was permanently set to detached). I then tried to custom-install Debian by mounting the netinstall ISO via grub - it worked fine - again until the Debian installer started and after entering the localization, the installer ran for a bit longer and then BAM - was kicked out of the IRDAC console again and the server state became unavailable.

Right now the server is "Server locked (Maintenance)"...

Another server I have with them is from HP and I had no issues using ILO to do any custom installs.

• tr1cky said: Isn't that just what the board supports?
    You should check the ram itself, here e.g. it's non-ecc ram:

Meeh. Same here. Ticket opened. The box having ECC RAM was the main reason for my purchase...

Thanked by 1tszilassi
  • @bashlyk said:
    Be aware. Bought the 16 Gb boz. Once Proxmox was loaded it showed 8Gb of RAM. Opened a ticket with support. They told me to choose an option to replace the box under my account. I received a message that the server cannot be replaced as there is none available.
    They fooled around for a day or so and told me that the box cannot fix it. Really? Their technical support cannot replace a freaking RAM in a box? I am shocked.
    Now the are telling me they cannot replace the box. The only option they have is to refund me.
    I am thinking of dumping my existing dedi with them.
    What if something happens to the hardware and they come back with lame answers like this...
    This is unacceptable customer service.

This was a sale and they probably dont have any parts left around for this sale . I am sure if one of your dedi's that was purchased outside the sale did have a hardware issues they would replace the hardware .

Thanked by 2bashlyk vimalware
  • bashlykbashlyk Member
    edited February 2016

@Rolter

I would like to think they'd fix my existing dedi without coming up with all sorts of excuses. This is a huge dedicated server provider with huge data centers and they do not have parts to replace a faulty RAM? That's the lamest answer I heard from technical support of a major provider in years.

• Based on this thread, looks like a few boxes already failed. Not sure how they came up with these servers, but I would not put anything production on them. No wonder they are so cheap.

• @bashlyk said:
    Based on this thread, looks like a few boxes already failed. Not sure how they came up with these servers, but I would not put anything production on them. No wonder they are so cheap.

I wont put anything production on a sale server anywhere as most sales force you to waiver a good number of support features .

Now i am checking servers that i bought in this sale , i have not had any problems so far.

Infact i got 2x3TB HDD's (instead of 2x2TB drives) on 2 of my servers out of 4 , but one servers IP is in some email blacklist .

• @mpkossen said:

Ditto.
    My locked for hardware issue e5620 is now in REFUND ONLY POSSIBLE stage.

Meh, I'll try again next time.

Dear LET: Expectations management : Don't RAGE for such incredible value for money.

I'm sure they'll learn their lesson from the support avalanche.

The next LIMITED offering will hopefully be put through a burn-in/stress test first.

• @Amitz said:
    Meeh. Same here. Ticket opened. The box having ECC RAM was the main reason for my purchase...

One of the big reasons for me too. Could you let us know what they say?

• M391B1G73BH0-YH9 is an ECC RAM - it's not registered and unbuffered but ECC. http://www.memoryten.com/p/032789.htm

• If you guys cannot even find check your RAM properly how can you blame online.net ? You should be thankful to them that they're selling fantastic hardware in such great prices.

Thanked by 2joeri Rolter
  • SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited February 2016

Here you can see the 10600E very closely which is ECC RAM: https://www.itcreations.com/images/products/large/M391B1G73BH0-YH9_1.jpg - the non ECC RAM has 10600U

Thanked by 1tommy
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2016

@Spacedust said:
    M391B1G73BH0-YH9 is an ECC RAM - it's not registered and unbuffered but ECC. http://www.memoryten.com/p/032789.htm

Oh, good catch! The two digits after the M3 in the part number also tell you what type of memory it is:

71 : x64 204pin Unbuffered SODIMM
    74 : x72 204pin ECC Unbuffered SODIMM
    78 : x64 240pin Unbuffered DIMM
    86 : x72 240pin LR DIMM
    90 : x72 240pin VLP Unbuffered DIMM
    91 : x72 240pin ECC Unbuffered DIMM
    92 : x72 240pin VLP Registered DIMM
    93 : x72 240pin Registered DIMM

So the M391 in the 08164 is ECC.

My 08641 has M378 which isn't.

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited February 2016

It only says the amount of memory on their order page so you can get the non-ECC modules as well. Since 08641 is very cheap they got the cheapest RAM. Maybe the board itself can't handle the ECC. Better check the model in dmidecode.

I got ECC in my Dedibox XC SSD:

Handle 0x0028, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
    Memory Device
             Array Handle: 0x0023
             Error Information Handle: Not Provided
             Total Width: 72 bits
             Data Width: 64 bits
             Size: 4096 MB
             Form Factor: DIMM
             Set: None
             Locator: P1-DIMMB1
             Bank Locator: P0_Node0_Channel1_Dimm0
             Type: DDR3
             Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
             Speed: 1600 MHz
             Manufacturer: Hynix
             Serial Number: 48245019
             Asset Tag:  BANK 0 DIMM1 AssetTag
             Part Number: HMT451E7BFR8A-PB
             Configured Clock Speed: 1600 MHz

• DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2016

Spacedust said: It only says the amount of memory on their order page so you can get the non-ECC modules as well.

It actually did say ECC on the product page for both the 08641 and 08644 (as it does for the XC).

http://web.archive.org/web/20160225170838/https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-limited08161

http://web.archive.org/web/20160225170838/https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-limited08164

The 08641 board is ECC capable, as well.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

@Spacedust said:
    M391B1G73BH0-YH9 is an ECC RAM - it's not registered and unbuffered but ECC. http://www.memoryten.com/p/032789.htm

Yes, I just wanted to post that here. Came to the same conclusion after some research. I always thought that there is no unregistered/unbuffered ECC-RAM. But obviously, there is...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Dylan said:
    One of the big reasons for me too. Could you let us know what they say?

They said (5min ticket response time, yay!):

Hello, 

I confirm you that you have ram ECC on the server, you can chack it on the ILO access if you want :-)

Regards,

And I guess that answer is correct after reading a bit about RAM types.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • Hmm, next time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy N+1 servers where N is your requirement.

Put everything through a burn-in right after purchase.

• is anyone else facing this issue...getting stuck at "Installing OS" for an hour now ?

• Registered ECC RAM is always a bit more expensive ;)