Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Specials available - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Specials available

Comments

• Damn, such sweet deals but the problem of having only 2 IPv4 addresses kills it for me. What is the point of having such a powerful machine and have only 2 IP addresses? Ah wait... there is a business service package (that costs extra) :)

• LeeLee Veteran

Wolf said: So. Just for everyone as info.

Online.net will release the 2016 series, starting next week. It will also feature new 'low end' boxes below 10€ and such, so keep your money tight and keep an eye out. Stock is highly limited during starting phase.

Set up fees, set up fees everywhere ^^

• Just so you know,
    my server is now locked for maintenance after it failed to raid 0.

• @heachhog

Yeah. They automatically set the service package to business... Each IP is 'only' 2€p/m

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited February 2016

Just bought the 08163: unfortunately no KVM nor personalization (external USB for a one time cost). I think I will keep my Limited Edition 4815 and drop the 08163...

CORRECTION: IDRAC (KVM) became available after installation of the OS (I did know this :-)

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2016

@zeitgeist said:
    My previous server is @ DC3; the newly ordered one @ DC2.

Ping seems to DC2 seems to be same as the ping to Kidechire in same DC3. (~400ms)

Fingers crossed, Hoping they're on diverse uplinks and power.

• @Wolf said:
    Online.net will release the 2016 series, starting next week. It will also feature new 'low end' boxes below 10€ and such, so keep your money tight and keep an eye out. Stock is highly limited during starting phase.

doubt that there will be anything dedicated under 16 € for 2x2TB /w 16GB RAM and 1 Gbps in europe soon again...

• @heachhog said:
    Damn, such sweet deals but the problem of having only 2 IPv4 addresses kills it for me. What is the point of having such a powerful machine and have only 2 IP addresses? Ah wait... there is a business service package (that costs extra) :)

Not sure if that's the case for everybody as I can add multiple /27 or single IPs. I think it depends on the amount of servers you have with them.

• @Falzo said:
    doubt that there will be anything dedicated under 16 € for 2x2TB /w 16GB RAM and 1 Gbps in europe soon again...

johnny is back. Its still possible

• @Wolf said:
    So. Just for everyone as info.

Time to cancel some kimsufi's :)

• heachhogheachhog Member
    edited February 2016

Got a ticket response from them, saying it is possible to add only 1 failover IPv4 address to these servers. So, even for my personal use, I would have 1 IP used for Proxmox, then only one for a VPS (e.g. with Plex) - such a waste.

At the same time, it is so so so tempting.. :)

Exactly! And then suddenly, you are paying double the server price, just for 1 extra IP address

• @heachhog said:
    At the same time, it is so so so tempting.. :)

I've setup a NAT router (pfSense) with Online.net when I had a VMWare lab on one of their server.

It worked like a charm.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2016

@Saragoldfarb said:
    Not sure if that's the case for everybody as I can add multiple /27 or single IPs. I think it depends on the amount of servers you have with them.

That's what puzzled me too.
    I'm seeing the /27 block for the first time with the E5620.

Seems my 1215 also acquired this option now.

Can they actually be used though?

• krishnapkrishnap Member
    edited February 2016
    Speedtest (IPv4 only)
        ---------------------

Location                Provider        Speed
        CDN                     Cachefly        105MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          9.60MB/s 
        Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       13.5MB/s 
        Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       10.0MB/s 
        San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       10.6MB/s 
        Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       18.7MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          9.32MB/s 
        Singapore               Softlayer       2.19MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         68.1MB/s
        Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        63.0MB/s 

Disk Speed
        ----------
        I/O (1st run)   : 218 MB/s
        I/O (2nd run)   : 259 MB/s
        I/O (3rd run)   : 231 MB/s
        Average I/O     : 236 MB/s

• @Winne said:

To be honest, never used pfSense, do you have any links that can help me in getting around pfSense?

• @krishnap said:
    johnny is back. Its still possible

haha ;-)

but we're talking dedicated here. I guess Jonny will not be capable of finding a provider in europe which would work with him only based on his loose tongue.

and even if... I won't ever fall again for someone trying to resell from a reputable provider in europe at a much cheaper rate than the original (a.k.a the uniweb incident) ;-)

• @heachhog said:
    Exactly! And then suddenly, you are paying double the server price, just for 1 extra IP address

It's perfectly possible to do some natting on Proxmox and have multiple VPS's run on the same (single) IPv4

• @heachhog said:
    To be honest, never used pfSense, do you have any links that can help me in getting around pfSense?

If I remember, I followed a part of this guide (writed for OVH, but was also working with Online.net) :

http://magiksys.blogspot.ca/2012/12/pfsense-bridge-gateway-vmware-ovh-ip.html

I ended up looking on Google and I followed guides from different websites.

I would need to do it again from scratch to exactly guide you.

• Hmmm, just realized that my old 1250 had 15k SAS drives (450GB)

# smartctl -a -d cciss,0 /dev/sda
    smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-3.13.0-77-generic] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sda [cciss_disk_00] [SCSI]: Device open changed type from 'sat,auto+cciss' to 'cciss'
    === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Vendor:               HP
    Product:              EF0450FATFE
    Revision:             HPDB
    User Capacity:        450,098,159,616 bytes [450 GB]
    Logical block size:   512 bytes
    Rotation Rate:        15030 rpm
    Form Factor:          3.5 inches
    Logical Unit id:      0x5000cca04193f66c
    Serial number:        CWXMBLMN
    Device type:          disk
    Transport protocol:   SAS
    Local Time is:        Thu Feb 25 20:26:50 2016 CET
    SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is:     Enabled
    Temperature Warning:  Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature:     31 C
    Drive Trip Temperature:        65 C

Manufactured in week 20 of year 2013
    Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  50000
    Accumulated start-stop cycles:  53
    Elements in grown defect list: 0

Vendor (Seagate) cache information
      Blocks sent to initiator = 4596156189376512

Error counter log:
               Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
                   ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
               fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
    read:          0   790913         0    790913          0     515947.173           0
    write:         0  1138874         0   1138874          0      15590.385           0

Non-medium error count:      169

SMART Self-test log
    Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
         Description                              number   (hours)
    # 1  Background long   Completed                   -   17822                 - [-   -    -]
    # 2  Background short  Completed                   -   17821                 - [-   -    -]
    Long (extended) Self Test duration: 3744 seconds [62.4 minutes]

vs. the 08162 having 7.2k SAS disks (2TB)...

# smartctl -a -c /dev/sg0
    smartctl 6.4 2014-10-07 r4002 [x86_64-linux-3.16.0-4-amd64] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Vendor:               SEAGATE
    Product:              ST32000444SS
    Revision:             KS68
    User Capacity:        2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
    Logical block size:   512 bytes
    Rotation Rate:        7200 rpm
    Form Factor:          3.5 inches
    Logical Unit id:      0x5000c500347b774f
    Serial number:        9WM6JKPW
    Device type:          disk
    Transport protocol:   SAS (SPL-3)
    Local Time is:        Thu Feb 25 20:26:40 2016 CET
    SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is:     Enabled
    Temperature Warning:  Disabled or Not Supported

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature:     35 C
    Drive Trip Temperature:        68 C

Manufactured in week 25 of year 2011
    Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  10000
    Accumulated start-stop cycles:  18
    Specified load-unload count over device lifetime:  300000
    Accumulated load-unload cycles:  18
    Elements in grown defect list: 45

Vendor (Seagate) cache information
      Blocks sent to initiator = 729361019
      Blocks received from initiator = 1921443022
      Blocks read from cache and sent to initiator = 950000599
      Number of read and write commands whose size <= segment size = 853369918
      Number of read and write commands whose size > segment size = 2948304

Vendor (Seagate/Hitachi) factory information
      number of hours powered up = 26753.83
      number of minutes until next internal SMART test = 3

Error counter log:
               Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
                   ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
               fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
    read:   1432692691     3159         0  1432695850   1432695856      34000.728           1
    write:         0        0         0         0          0      87215.067           0
    verify: 1602169629      282         0  1602169911   1602169951      30487.977          40

Non-medium error count:        3

SMART Self-test log
    Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
         Description                              number   (hours)
    # 1  Background long   Completed                  16       6                 - [-   -    -]
    # 2  Background short  Completed                  16       1                 - [-   -    -]

Long (extended) Self Test duration: 18500 seconds [308.3 minutes]

• @Darwin said:
    What you are doing is adding another point of failure.

So what you're saying is:

• RAID 0 mirror = 1 drive fails I lose all my data
    • RAID 1 mirror = 1 drive fails I still have data, yet I'll have half usable space
    • JBOD = Raid controller fails and I lose my data regardless

So in that scenario what would you recommend and why? Bearing in mind I care more about space here than redundancy but i'd still like to be able to lose a drive and keep data. Barring the Raid controller failing JBOD looks good for this?

• Do we get 2x IP's with these boxes?

• @jeromeza said:
    Do we get 2x IP's with these boxes?

No, but you can purchase a second for 1,99 € (TAX excluded)/month + setup cost (2,99€)

• LeeLee Veteran

jeromeza said: I care more about space here than redundancy but i'd still like to be able to lose a drive and keep data.

Does not compute!

Thanked by 3Dylan Darwin vimalware
  • @Lee said:
    Does not compute!

Sure it does.

NO RAID = JBOD of 2x seperate disks. One disk goes down I still have my data on the other disk (assuming I sync them). The only way I'll lose my data is if BOTH disks happen to die at exactly the same time or if the RAID controller happens to die.

RAID 1 = I can have 1 disk fail, but I don't get the space I get with JBOD.

RAID 0 = I get the 4TB of space and a speed increase, but if I lose a disk I lose all my data.

• @wlambrechts said:

Hmmm. I was thinking of using 1 IP for PFsense and then just NAT'ing via that as needed as some of the other posters had mentioned. I guess I could just use docker as well!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2016

Yes I get that, but you need to choose redundancy or space, your statement says you care more about space than redundancy but still want to be able to loose a drive and keep data. Not going to happen. Choose one or the other.

What @Darwin is saying is that if you use software raid the drives are still plugged into the raid card, it does not stop working just because you chose software raid.

So now you could loose data due a software raid issue or a raid card issue.

Pick either RAID 0 or 1, use the raid card, the H200 is a pretty decent card, there are worse.

Copying data between drives is just meh, that can create a whole different set of issues.

Thanked by 2Darwin mpkossen
  • Was anyone able to upgrade drives to 15K or SSD on these servers? Is this even an option?

• LeeLee Veteran

bashlyk said: Was anyone able to upgrade drives to 15K or SSD on these servers? Is this even an option?

Not an option, they are as is, cannot make any hardware changes.

• Lee said: Not an option, they are as is, cannot make any hardware changes.

Yep, was able to confirm this with online.net support. No hardware changes on these boxes are allowed.

Thanked by 1Lee