Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guide for installing Paperless?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Guide for installing Paperless?

For most program installs, I've been able to find nice guides that even I can follow. But, I'm very interested in installing Paperless (an app to scan, index, and archive scanned documents online: https://github.com/danielquinn/paperless) and am completely hopeless. I have also not been able to find any user123-proof installation tutorial. The instructions are here: https://paperless.readthedocs.org/en/latest/setup.html

My goal is to set up a Debian server at home on a spare low-end desktop and use it to securely host and sync private info between my devices. I have been trying to install it on a test VPS before getting to that stage, but am very lost. Would I be better off setting up a Debian install in virtualbox and trying to install Paperless in that? Once I get things up and running, it would be easier for me to backup and migrate the container, as needed.

Comments

• why don't use vagrant? No need to compile/installing anything

• @tommy said:
    why don't use vagrant? No need to compile/installing anything

I was checking it out after reading the setup page, but the vagrant site made it sounds like it was mainly for short-term containers. Is that not the case (if I want a home-hosted server running 24/7)?

• There is a docker template included too. Since it's based on Django, you can use that tutorial to set the dependencies up as well.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Standard (Bare Metal) guide is straightforward at first look. Where do you encounter problems? The developer is very friendly and responsive person, try to submit issue at GitHub.

• @cassa @time4vps

Standard (Bare Metal) guide is straightforward at first look. Where do you encounter problems? The developer is very friendly and responsive person, try to submit issue at GitHub.

I thought it would be easy and I've installed some of the reqs, but I'm even having trouble with basic things like figuring out how to install django.

• Use your package manager to install tesseract, gpg, python3 and imagemagick.

pip3 will install all the Python packages for you, including Django. So if you downloaded paperless into /home/user123/paperless, then as root

pip3 install --requirement /home/user123/paperless/requirements.txt

(Skip the --user to install python packages into the global python repository).
    Then follow up on the "Standard (Bare Metal)" instructions.

I don't know how secure the Django setup is, so just host it on a private network at home, rather than having it run on some VPS.

• Paperless using python 2, so pip3 wont work.

Installing all package by hand you'll get headache that why I suggest using their vagrant template. I run vagrant for another project for over 6 month, its depend how people labeling their product,