Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really Need Some Help / Insight
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Really Need Some Help / Insight

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

So this morning I rebooted a proxmox dedicated server I have and all of a sudden it is telling me the following:

error: file '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.

Does anyone know how to fix this from grub? I asked support at HVH if they could look at it and they told me it was unrecoverable?

Comments

• Is this a UEFI bios?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@MarkTurner not 100% positive, but I think it is.

• vmp32kvmp32k Member
    edited February 2016

I have no experience with proxmox nor do I know if this a common issue but from a more general Linux standpoint it looks like your grub bootloader installation got messed up. Booting a rescue system, mounting / & /boot, chroot'ing and running grub-install should fix it.

edit: You mentioned it's using EFI after I made my post, my solution probably isn't applicable then. :/

Thanked by 1FalconsCloud
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It sort of is recoverable, but the reality is its faster to boot it in to a recovery mode, grab your configs and reinstall proxmox with the leave LVM in tact flags, pop your configs back in place and reboot, should take less than an hour.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith it seems like it is fairly simple to recover. The issue I'm having is I am not able to hop on the IPMI myself so I need someone to lend a hand and get it sorted. I don't think a reinstall is necessary.

I'm not even sure what caused this in the first place. Nothing has been done on this box in a long time. I rebooted it and now this is whats happening.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I don't know the HVH/CC setup but if they have a boot in recovery mode option you could chroot and reinstall grub, that would probably sort it out, failing that you need IPMI I guess in either case for reinstall with LVM in tact or to do a recovery yourself if they dont have a PXE recovery image.