Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you buy IPv6 only VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If it is like half lowend price, will you buy IPv6 only VPS for things like backup, backend services?

1. Will you buy IPv6 only VPS?88 votes
    1. Yes.
      47.73%
    2. No.
      52.27%

Comments

• More information needed. Which location, port speed, price range.

The most important thing who's the provider?

If that can beat time4vps sure. Or atleast cheaper than dr server storage plan

Thanked by 1samc
  • Looks like half people would, and half would not.

• Yeah easily. If there is a sensible price reduction. However I require it to be semi-reliable for backups like time4vps.

• Tim4VPS XS Plan 8EUR, or 0.5TB plan 12EUR for 2 years? Definitely!

Thanked by 1user123
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

As long as it's as reliable as the best here and significantly cheaper, sure.

But you can't deliver that...the best here can't.

ipv4 costs are probably only significant for microhosts.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • Fc off with his question. > @samc said:

Looks like half people would, and half would not.

Time to answer some question above if you wont then .......

• Not at the moment, as I still don't have reliable IPv6 connectivity in some of the locations I'd likely want to use it from.

• i83i83 Member
    edited February 2016

IPv6 only can work, however most users seem to still like IPv4 NAT connectivity for connecting to existing legacy repos that are not fully IPv6 yet and not every location they connect from has IPv6 capability.

Thanked by 1samc
  • @i83 said:
    IPv6 only can work, however most users seem to still like IPv4 NAT connectivity for connecting to existing legacy repos that are not fully IPv6 yet and not every location they connect from has IPv6 capability.

Well, to be fair you can set up a box with IPv4 and HAProxy to get that connectivity anyway. Technically no need for IPv4 NAT.

• No. My ISP doesn't support it yet and IPv4 boxes are cheap enough anyway

• We got one VPS with IPv6 Only and actually it's going pretty good.

• As suggested above, the cost of IPv4 is not a lot and only figures highly (percentage wise) in the very lowest end. In that category, I'd be vaguely interested if some other aspect had increased value. How that plays out in the future, especially if IPv4 IPs increase significantly in price, could be interesting.

• There is no blacklisted ipv6 yet, so it's good for spammers.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    As suggested above, the cost of IPv4 is not a lot and only figures highly (percentage wise) in the very lowest end. In that category, I'd be vaguely interested if some other aspect had increased value. How that plays out in the future, especially if IPv4 IPs increase significantly in price, could be interesting.

Now I feel the limitation for you to have 1000 VPS is the IPv4 addresses. If IPv6 works for you, the number of VPS is no longer the limit when you own a cheap dedicated server, or even a KVM.

• elgs said: Now I feel the limitation for you to have 1000 VPS is the IPv4 addresses. If IPv6 works for you, the number of VPS is no longer the limit when you own a cheap dedicated server, or even a KVM.

I believe we're talking about IPv6 only. Otherwise with NAT you can put a lot of VPS on an IP anyway so the difference in cost between IPv6 only and one that is NATted is going to be really small.