Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s) - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s)

Comments

• Just wanted to point out that Incero seems to have their own network and ASN. Unsure when that started:
    http://bgp.he.net/AS54540

He also uses his own switches.

As far as routers and upstream routing being direct or if Corexchange manages that for him, I am unsure.

• @pubcrawler said: As far as routers and upstream routing being direct or if Corexchange manages that for him, I am unsure.

It'll be nice if he could stop announcing individual /24s and aggregate them.

@Jacob said: single homed network

BGP.he.net is probably not updated yet, but Incero is on Corexchange (AS13354) primarily now. Cogent is backup, prepended x3.

Cogent's looking glass:
    BGP routing table entry for 23.29.112.0/24, version 117799842
    Paths: (1 available, best #1, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
    Not advertised to any peer
    54540 54540 54540 54540
    38.88.50.2 (metric 137041) from 154.54.66.76 (154.54.66.76)
    Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 130, valid, internal, best
    Community: 174:10015 174:20999 174:21001 174:22013
    Originator: 154.54.66.87, Cluster list: 154.54.66.76, 66.28.1.69, 66.28.1.89, 66.28.1.238

• I've had experience with Incero not responding, and actively refusing to engage in ongoing DoS from their ip space (originated by CoreXchange)

Finally had to escalate to coreXchange + upstreams to get it to stop /this after a month of ongoing attacks/ and attempts to work with them directly.

IMHO Incero is either unwilling, incompetent, or just doesn't care about DoS attacks originated by their customers.

That's not the kind of shop I would entrust with my business.

• @unused, well, your experience, that's unacceptable also.

Was CoreXchange easier to work with or did you have to bypass them and deal with the upstreams?

I've found CoreXchange in the past to be non tolerant of misbehaving users to the point that I wouldn't offer any commercial client use services out of there and moved things elsewhere. Mainly, had a DMCA thing that was impossible per se. Followed by second one from same entity. CoreXchange's position was zero tolerance and next time we snip your connection.

These random things, where providers care about this and not that are dizzying. Count me as umm, surprised about these experiences folks have had.

• I've heard lots of negative things from current and past Incero customers. A quick search on WHT also seems to uncover a lot of ugliness.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: Your servers blow CVPS servers away.

False.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I laughed at @Nick_A's commet on Incero.

• Well @CVPS_Chris, I've been a customer of both CVPS and RamNode. Still am a RamNode customer. I don't get a gold star or $5 for promoting Ramnode over CVPS, but I know firsthand their servers run faster and are better maintained. Nick is an admin legend with response times and gets things done right.

If we just look at ServerBear numbers comparing your 2GB Enterprise plan to Ramnode's 2GB cached plan:

Metric CVPS Ramnode Winner
    ---------- ----------- ------------------- ---------
    UnixBench 2705.7 3651.0 Ramnode
    I/O Benchm 167.8 MB/s 475.0 MB/s Ramnode
    BW Benchm 18.2 MB/s 24.5 MB/s Ramnode
    I/O Ping 72ms 1ms Ramnode
    IOPS Seek 13181 12672 CVPS
    IOPS Seq 2444 2446 Tie
    IOPS Cachd 457496 755877 Ramnode

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

How is the price compared with coupons and all ?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@RobertJFClarke said: I laughed at @Nick_A's commet on Incero.

What comment? I'm not bashing anyone in this thread or anything of the sort.

On a side note, I don't want to be dragged into any RamNode vs ____ competitions in this thread. Thank you to anyone who supports my business. That's all I have to say. The Atlanta comments before were merely playing the guessing game along with others regarding Kevin's comments about a new location.

@Pubcrawler,

You do realize you are trying to compare an SSD box to a non SSDbox, correct?

As far as hardware goes, no one uses anything better than we do. I would hope his stats are better with an SSD box, however I bet they are not higher than our SSD box.

Next time don't compare apples to oranges. I'm not sure what your personal vendetta is against me or ChicagoVPS but its getting old quick as everything that spews out of your mouth is negative towards us and in most cases not even the truth.

• @CVPS_Chris, that I/O ping is totally hideous on your 2GB plans.

I mean is your storage in Los Angeles and your sever in Chicago or what?

That's clearly why folks moan about CVPS server performance.

@serverbear can confirm, but that I/O ping is the average from all the tests.

Your OpenVZ Basic plan has an I/O Ping Benchmark of 34 ms.

Crazy that your non "Enterprise" plans have lower I/O ping times... Backwards my friend.

@pubcrawler said: That's clearly why folks moan about CVPS server performance

What folks? Reread the entire thread, the only one complaining is you and maybe one other person. The backed up by 5+ other clients saying that they are happy.

What are you getting at except trying to drag on a non existent issue?

• also, you kind of ignored the part about our SSD box. How convenient ;-)

@CVPS_Chris said: You do realize you are trying to compare an SSD box to a non SSDbox, correct?

I don't know what plan he was looking at for your numbers, but the RamNode figures are a 2048MB CVZ which is SSD-Cached. For what it's worth, the numbers are over a month old: http://serverbear.com/1289-2048mb-cvz-ramnode#benchmarks

edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: Metric CVPS Ramnode Winner

UnixBench 2705.7 3651.0 Ramnode
    I/O Benchm 167.8 MB/s 475.0 MB/s Ramnode
    BW Benchm 18.2 MB/s 24.5 MB/s Ramnode
    I/O Ping 72ms 1ms Ramnode
    IOPS Seek 13181 12672 CVPS
    IOPS Seq 2444 2446 Tie
    IOPS Cachd 457496 755877 Ramnode

@Maounique said: How is the price compared with coupons and all ?

You cannot compare only features an tech specs without taking the price into consideration.

• Hehe, come on @CVPS_Chris, we are sticking to the facts today. Been doing that the whole thread. Don't be sad pal.

I know it's cached. Ramnode's low end plans are cached SSD. Pretty common these days. Lots of providers do it and you know that too.

Ramnode's boxes are way better performing real world.

What I said was:

Your servers blow CVPS servers away.

To which you said Chris:

False.

To which I posted the plan vs. plan numbers. Thanks @serverbear for the service.

Could have I have been on a bad node at CVPS? Sure. Think I was moved once or twice. That's the disco move instead of monitoring nodes, under abusing them, etc.

You should stick to being the cheapest provider Chris. The Walmart of VPS. No shame in that. You've been doing fine and will continue to. Just don't pretend to have the best servers in the world while offering plans for the price of a coffee or less a month. Two concepts are incompatible, no matter how much mystical Wizard of Oz mysticism and special sauce you claim to have going on.

@pubcrawler said: Ramnode's boxes are way better performing real world.

But yet, you STILL fail to compare two in the same. Compare my SSD box to theirs and then I would be satisfied.

As for the whole Wal-Mart spiel, not the truth. We provide one of the best services around and at the cheapest prices. We are more of a Macy's providing at Wal-Mart prices.

• What folks? Reread the entire thread, the only one complaining is you and maybe one other person. The backed up by 5+ other clients saying that they are happy.

Come on silly man, ask Kevin to come over and join us. He's far better for your corporate PR.

Clearly, I wasn't complaining about your VPS performance in this thread. Plenty of folks are former customers and have complained about CVPS performance. Denial is some wicked drink.

you kind of ignored the part about our SSD box.

I'll wait and see if anyone benchmarks your SSD server(s). I expect them to be fast.

The OpenVZ 2GB Enterprise numbers for CVPS have 79 benchmarks ran:
    http://serverbear.com/876-openvz-enterprise-chicagovps#benchmarks

@Pubcrawler

I think deep down you have a crush on me and need my attention. I find it cute, you make me blush.

• @Maounique,

You cannot compare only features an tech specs without taking the price into consideration.

Which price should benchmarks consider? The price the person running the test paid right --- if any?

Problem with CVPS and benchmarks especially is that they have base price, common discount price, bigger discount price and nearly give it away price.

Performance relative to cost can't be done against those sorts of variables. Well it could be, but gets complicated and inevitably providers will cheat their way to top of the ranks on value.

Most providers have regular price which is reasonable and then a special sale price. Two pricing variables. Still problematic, but lesser so.

I've never been a fan of the pricing games in the LEB market.

@Jack said: @CVPS_Chris what plan is this?

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/12/01/REWnk2LAvNM0QnlZ

Our regular 2GB enterprise plan

@Pubcrawler

No denying the crush, shall we chat in private?

• @CVPS_Chris,

I think deep down you have a crush on me and need my attention. I find it cute, you make me blush.

Hey, all PR is good PR, right?

How were sales on the $30-odd-dollar annual plans yesterday?

• @pubcrawler How does price matter in a benchmark? It's what the plan includes that matters.

@pubcrawler said: How were sales on the $30-odd-dollar annual plans yesterday?

Very good :) cant complain about your free advertisement for us

• @gubbyte,

I could be wrong here, but @serverbear seems to have rank both in outright performance as well as performance relative to price. You can see that best on the homepage.

@Maounique mentioned about the price differences and relationship to performance. It is a fair point but complex.

edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: @Maounique mentioned about the price differences and relationship to performance. It is a fair point but complex.

At LEB everything revolves around price.
    The best quality for the price is the real paradigm since nobody is really offering the "best quality" as such a concept is elusive at best.
    A price can be measured exceptionally well and THEN we can see what is offered for the price.
    This is how I do comparisons, what I can get for 1 Eur, for 2, for 5 and it gives a real image of the market.
    Quality is much more than synthetic benchmarks, they dont consider support, uptime, network stability, traffic included, many small things that make the difference.
    If benchmarks were enough, nobody would need leb/let/wht, they would just go to serverbear and see the numbers, grab a coupon and pick the plan.
    There are things we can measure absolutely (price, specifications), relatively (benchmarks) and subjectively (support, "feel" of the responsiveness in a location or another, "luck" have been on an abused or not node for providers that dont watch them)
    One provider might be the best on price, another on specifications, another on benchmark and everyone has their own favourite based on subjectivity besides the measurable facts.

@RobertJFClarke said: I laughed at @Nick_A's commet on Incero.

I thought I made a post about this but apparently it glitched out as happens sometimes here. Anyway, I'm not sure what you find funny--I am in no way bashing anyone in this thread (Incero, CVPS, or otherwise). I was just surprised at @pubcrawler's seemingly close relationship to Gordon. pubcrawler doesn't, from my understanding, promote any hosting services around here, so I didn't expect him to have done much business with Incero.

In that post I also clarified that I don't know what plan @pubcrawler was referencing from CVPS, but he was referencing my 2048MB CVZ (SSD-Cached) plan. Chris seemed to think it was just SSD, but that is not the case.

I apologize if I'm just repeating myself but I can't find the post.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler in case you're still interested. Incero routers are juniper mx240's ;)

This discussion has been closed.