Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s) - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s)

Comments

• God, is that what huge is in this pond? 150 servers?

I have money on Atlanta. :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: God, is that what huge is in this pond? 150 servers?

I want to be a big fish,
    A big fish,
    In a little pond !

• @pubcrawler said: God, is that what huge is in this pond? 150 servers?

maybe thats just 1 location?

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited February 2013

We are talking about physical servers (i.e. hypervisors/VPS nodes) here NOT individual VPS containers. We keep our industry closely studied, and I can only think of 1 LEB provider that has over 150 VPS nodes (they operate their own datacenter, and are not active in the community). If you can name more than one other LEB provider with at least 150 physical VPS nodes I am all ears. Compared to Hostgator or Godaddy, it may be a drop in the bucket, but you have to consider that VPS is our specialty and we target that particular market, while Hostgator/Godaddy appeal to the masses with regular web hosting, domains, and other types of services.

Either way, it is not a race about who is the bigger fish here, while some may argue that we are inevitably one of the bigger VPS providers out there, at the end of the day our true goal is to be able to provide a consistent and stable service to our customers. =) Thanks to our continued negotiations and bulk deals with our hardware vendors and upstream providers, we are able to pass down the unbeatable savings down to our customers without compromising on quality. Everybody wins.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

So it IS Atlanta, then. Interesting.

• @CVPS_Kevin

On your website it seems all xen services are sold out.
    You guys dropping Xen?

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Nick_A said: So it IS Atlanta, then. Interesting.

Nick, you will just have to wait and see. It could be any one of the locations mentioned or something different. :)

• @Cirium said: On your website it seems all xen services are sold out.

You guys dropping Xen?

No, we are not dropping XEN. It was out of stock while we were awaiting some new nodes to be set up. Please PM me with what you are interested in and I will add some stock for you immediately. We will go through all of the XEN packages and add stock accordingly later this weekend.

• Europe!

@CVPS_Chris said: Nick, you will just have to wait and see. It could be any one of the locations mentioned or something different. :)

Nah, it's Atlanta. You guys denied all the others.

• detpackdetpack Member
    edited February 2013

Can it be Seattle?

• I wouldn't worry a bit @Nick_A. Your servers blow CVPS servers away.

@pubcrawler said: I wouldn't worry a bit @Nick_A. Your servers blow CVPS servers away.

The overlapping of our target markets is minimal, so there's no worrying going on here. I'm actually just surprised anyone who doesn't live locally to Georgia would choose Atlanta with existing options in the northeast. But in general, the more locations, the better I guess.

• @Nick_A said: The overlapping of our target markets is minimal

They have started offering SSDs VPS

• @detpack said: Can it be Seattle?

Seconding the request for this in the future. Seattle doesn't have very many high-BW options.

@jcaleb said: They have started offering SSDs VPS

They're still pretty different customer bases.. CVPS is great, but RN offers Gbps base and the general attention that comes with a smaller operation.

Pulling out of TX because it didn't meet their standards is a prime example of putting quality first.

• Seattle like most of the upper West Coast is a backhauled remote location.

Doubt we'll see Seattle get any better any time soon, sadly. Latency between Los Angeles and say Vancouver isn't very high. So I think throwing good money out the window expanding into Seattle.

Saw CVPS offering SSDs now. I've been of the belief they've been background abusing SSDs for years to load their nodes and pull off what they are. Pure speculation on my end there though. Disk IO and iowait on CVPS has long been a BIG problem.

Ramnode is the king of SSD VPS. I have several SSD providers in my mix and Ramnode is much faster than all of them. Competing with RamNode? That would end up bad for anyone I think as Ramnode is the gold standard right now and they are the SSD provider for the US Southeast if you need one.

Did CVPS/Colocrossing pull out of Texas? I missed that. Texas has everything, so standards aren't the issue. Pricing and right facility is going to be the issue there. It's a big market and takes lots more time in my experience to find right fit.

• @pubcrawler said: Did CVPS/Colocrossing pull out of Texas? I missed that. Texas has everything, so standards aren't the issue

RamNode did not ChicagoVPS. Has nothing to do with Texas, possibly just the DC they were in.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

Oh! Thanks @concerto49.

Wonder what Ramnode found problematic in Texas? I've been through 3 TX datacenters over the year. Each has their own unbearable issues I can't work with. One crapped the bed on power too many times (yeah I know A-B power), other had too many strange network blips, latest has port limiting on speed at the price point that I am not tolerant of. I hate waiting when I need something.

Still tons more facilities though :)

But I am changing and moving away from colo and more to rental so less concerning.

• It was more of an issue with the owner (Gordon @ Incero) than their services, if I remember correctly.

• Surprising. Gordon is a good guy and pretty reasonable in all ways.

Familiar with the facility he is in Dallas. It's a good place. Very good location for offering services from.

• Well, just looked at Colocrossing's website.

Locations they show:
    Atlanta 56 Marietta
    Chicago Dupont Fabros
    Dallas 3000 Irving
    NY1 111 8th Ave
    San Jose Market Post Tower
    Seattle Netriver

We know CVPS offers out of Los Angeles (CC has something there too right?), Chicago and Buffalo (which is unmentioned on this assumed to be old site).

So, that leaves Atlanta, Dallas and Seattle.

:)

• Really? have heard quite a bit of bad feedback about Incero & Gorden, mostly from the fact that he seems to ignore DoS originating from his location, and doesn't actually run his own network (it's originated by upstream) etc.

• Really @unused. Good to hear other opinions always.

DoS origination issue sucks. That's not acceptable.

Corexchange is likely providing a lot of his needs including operating his network. Overdue for Incero to operate own network and IP space.

• @pubcrawler said: We know CVPS offers out of Los Angeles (CC has something there too right?), Chicago and Buffalo (which is unmentioned on this assumed to be old site).

They have equipment with Quadranet, so yes they have something in LA.

The site is old.

@pubcrawler said: Surprising. Gordon is a good guy and pretty reasonable in all ways.

How much business have you done with Incero?...

@jcaleb said: They have started offering SSDs VPS

Yeah, who hasn't at this point? :) But that doesn't change my statement.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: Surprising. Gordon is a good guy and pretty reasonable in all ways.

I know of another provider getting away from there ASAP, and I've heard plenty of bitching about Gordon.

• I'm not going to bash Gordon, but clearly see you had a problem there. Sorry about that. Hope it wasn't a costly experience.

There are a number of other providers in that same space and the facility sells directly also. Both are options.

• It would be nice if it was an European location.

@pubcrawler said: I'm not going to bash Gordon, but clearly see you had a problem there. Sorry about that. Hope it wasn't a costly experience.

I'm not asking you to bash anyone, and I'm certainly not trying to myself. But I am curious what experience you have with Incero since you made it sound like you've interacted with them enough to know the owner pretty well.

• I'll PM you @Nick_A

This discussion has been closed.