Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s) - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s)

Comments

• Unless they break from tradition and decided to colo with someone other than CC?

Now that isn't going to happen :)

Atlanta seems likely or Dallas. Atlanta is an alright location and still arguably underserved.

Still think the European location would be interesting.

Although most interesting would be Asia. But that isn't going to happen.

That is unless Colocrossing is going there.

• @pubcrawler said: @Pats, a fool and his money are easily separated. Don't be that foolish. I recommend trying any provider for a few months before doing an annual commit.

Try their cheap 1 month promo first if you like it, before grabbing annual.

• @pubcrawler - my vote goes to Atlanta too.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I hope not US, they have enough US locations already, and there are enough hosters in the US.

• @Francisco said: The racks we let go of were filled with their new tenant within 24 hours though so they'd likely have to wait/hope for something to open up.

Damn! That goes out the window, then.

@pubcrawler said: Although most interesting would be Asia. But that isn't going to happen.

That is unless Colocrossing is going there.

$7/mo 2GB 2TB in Asia?

• @ihatetonyy said: $7/mo 2GB 2TB in Asia?

Doubtful. High tech stuff are expensive in Asia.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2013

Who seems to have more servers? FTN or CVPS? Both seems large host in my impression.

• @jcaleb said: Doubtful. High tech stuff are expensive in Asia.

I've always wondered why this is so. I mean the bandwidth is more expensive, this is understandable. But most of the equipment is already produced there (in asia), why isn't it cheaper?

• +1 for @rds100 's observations.

And, consider, big percentage of the world population lives there too.

• @rds100 said: I've always wondered why this is so. I mean the bandwidth is more expensive, this is understandable. But most of the equipment is already produced there (in asia), why isn't it cheaper?

Yes, those products will export to the country the company would like to sell then import back to the country which made them :D

Double TAX =)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2013

@rds100 said: I've always wondered why this is so. I mean the bandwidth is more expensive, this is understandable. But most of the equipment is already produced there (in asia), why isn't it cheaper?

For some first world Asian country, perhaps equipment is at the same price as US. But for most of us third world, equipments are much more expensive.

Edit:
    In Manila, if we ask our friends to buy us laptops or whatnot in the US, we save something like 20-30%

• haseltinehaseltine Member
    edited January 2013

@giang said: Double TAX =)

Double Tax, but logistically it doesn't work like that. They don't send it to mother company and to Asian market again in a complete product form. It will be a waste of transportation cost.

Technology production firm will usually have different bases in different parts of the world depending on skilled labor force, cost and resource availability. China may produce the packaging, phillipines produce some part of the internal component and ship it to Taiwan to assemble the components. Depending on the company, they may send the unassembled components back to mother company in USA. Companies do this mainly because they can set higher profit margin, or just that they feel unsafe to be in host country government regulation. Or just avoidance of lost of technology (core competency) Which is why it explain the cost in USA is cheaper. It's the causal effect of economic dilemma.

• Yeah, processors and hardisks are manufactured here in Philippines. But cant buy those, must be imported.

• for branded high tech equipment in general is more expensive in Asia,
    Some company mix between branded stuff and DIY server/PC to balanced the cost. Branded stuff is good for company marketing.

for dedi/colo is hard to do something like that, but for web hosting/VPS/Cloud you can surely mix it.

Some product made in Asia actually exclusively for US/EU market, the company produce it in Asia because labour is cheaper, that will not be the case, if labour is cheaper in US/EU. so even it produce in Asia, it doesn't mean in Asia is cheaper, if the Asian wants it, means importing = more expensive.

• @jcaleb Yeah, processors and hardisks are manufactured here in Philippines. But cant buy those, must be imported.

most HDD in Indonesia are coming from Thailand, most of panasonic product made here, is for EU/US market. Panasonic product in Indonesia, mostly made by Malaysia ;)

• @graca said: Panasonic product in Indonesia, mostly made by Malaysia ;)

Some of Panasonic product created in Indonesia and then exported to America. Sometimes we will see that a Digital Still Camera sold in America, and at the bottom case written "Made in Indonesia".

For an easy reading, previously, Indonesian made is started with TC-xxx ( for television ) and the one started with TX-xxx ( is imported).

But now, I'm glad that Panasonic is releasing a Plasma TV which can work with Android devices. We can find the application in the Google Play Store

• @CVPS_Kevin europe location <3

• PatsPats Member
    edited January 2013

@rds100 these days normal rates of equipments in US and many countries of Asia are same. Products are launched same time globally. What makes US prices better are the various offers at various times, black/white friday, cyber monday, christmas sale, US day, non-US day... :P

There are many sites here which get things from US ebay, newegg etc. And ship here. you can point to them your item. Adding their shipment ++ , still it comes cheap sony tabs, asus transformers, NAS boxes i saw coming thru that channel.

• @pubcrawler said: I think @Serverbear should amend his scripts to test routes, providers, ping times, etc. Will further divide and isolate suitable providers for some discerning buyers.

We've considered using our uptime nodes to do traces from various locations around the world, it's on the cards but personally I think we still need a bit more geographical diversity to be useful. What locations would you like to see?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Come on guys. Everyone knows Kevin will steer CVPS to Iceland.

• KrisKris Member
    edited January 2013

@Nick_A said: Come on guys. Everyone knows Kevin will steer CVPS to Iceland.

Does ColoCrossing have a PoP there?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Kris said: Does ColoCrossing have a PoP there?

Nope.

• Then highly unlikely.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@jcaleb said: Who seems to have more servers? FTN or CVPS? Both seems large host in my impression.

Its not even close, we are more than double their size.

• @CVPS_Chris How many nodes and/or vm's?

• @CVPS_Chris - so which location is it? :)

@bdtech said: @CVPS_Chris How many nodes and/or vm's?

Over 150 physical servers

@concerto49 said: @CVPS_Chris - so which location is it? :)

Secret! :)

• I'm not seeing an Atlanta denial..

• Oh no!
    $1 first month coupon is expired

This discussion has been closed.