Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s)
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s)

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited January 2013 in General

Was scouring through my email heap, the junk mail looking for something.

Found ChicagoVPS advertisements in there. Two or so months since I flocked like a smart bird elsewhere.

So, I wondered what they were selling. This is just unbelievable.... Put down your beverage and swallow that food, before you laugh and choke.

The infamous 2GB plan that recently went from $7.95 to $5.xx now they are offering at $3.33 a month? What in the world? The same plan they supposedly sell for $24.95 a month to folks not in the know.

Yep, I checked the plan and the code still works...

What do the providers out there think :) ?

Enterprise VPS Plan:
2048MB (2GB) RAM
50GB RAID-10 Protected Diskspace
2000GB Monthly Bandwidth
1x IPv4 Address
Instant Setup
SolusVM/OpenVZ
3 Location Choices: Chicago, Buffalo, or Los Angeles!

ONLY $3.33 per month! ($40/Year).

Important: On the order form, select the 12-Month billing option, and when checking out use promotion code WELCOMEBACK to claim your heavily discounted price of just $40/YEAR! Price will never increase, guaranteed!

Comments

• IIRC the was a typo, the real price was 40$/6months

• I would get it if it was monthly. I dislike yearly payments :(

• Everyone (providers) are free to sell at whatever price they want. And everyone (customers) are free to be as stupid as they want and buy any crap they see at any unrealistic price :)

-

• Nopers... Just tried it and I am certain it said 12 months = $40 after applying the promo code.

• Btw what happened with NordicVPS? Anyone heard anything about them lately?

-

• @pubcrawler said: Nopers... Just tried it and I am certain it said 12 months = $40 after applying the promo code.

Tried and saw $40/year too.

I'm here to collect your heart

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

doublepost

• Go here:
    http://chicagovps.net/openvz.html

Click on Enterprise plan at any location.

Select 12 month term. Fill out domain related info.

Go to checkout and input the promo code.

Total now = $40 for the year.

Says this in the promo area:

WELCOMEBACK - $214.49 USD Recurring Discount

• It really does work...

• @pubcrawler - you know this thread actually means helping ChicagoVPS to advertise. Just watch the number of users that will pick up the offer.

Wish someone would help us advertise :(

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
    We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
  • @concerto49 said: Wish someone would help us advertise :(

do 2GB at $1 then :)

• Hey @concerto49, do I think folks will buy??? Maybe.

Buyer beware is all I can say.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited January 2013

@pubcrawler said: Hey @concerto49, do I think folks will buy??? Maybe.

You don't think so, but from past experience I've seen these threads result in more sales for the provider. Negative publicity is also publicity.

@gubbyte said: do 2GB at $1 then :)

I've got ChicagoVPS 2GB in Buffalo and Chicago that I no longer need and can offer a transfer at less than $3/month for the number of months remaining.

How does that sound?

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
    We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
  • @pubcrawler, I believe there are readers buying things solely based on prices.

• I don't think the thrifty annual buyers are throwing out 2 $20's so easily.

Now if ChicagoVPS would lower the price to $15, well then...

• fanfan Member

Btw what happened with NordicVPS? Anyone heard anything about them lately?

Vanished I think.

• rm_rm_ Member

@concerto49 said: you know this thread actually means helping ChicagoVPS to advertise. Just watch the number of users that will pick up the offer.

The offer was actually meant to be limited only for customers who had a past service that they cancelled (hence the coupon code name), so by posting it publicly you are actually throwing a monkey-wrench into their machine.

• @pubcrawler said: The infamous 2GB plan that recently went from $7.95 to $5.xx now they are offering at $3.33 a month? What in the world? The same plan they supposedly sell for $24.95 a month to folks not in the know.

It was listed on LEB at $30/year at one stage.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator
    edited January 2013

@lbft said: It was listed on LEB at $30/year at one stage.

Still active. 2GBYR

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@rm_ said: so by posting it publicly you are actually throwing a monkey-wrench into their machine.

I don't think they would mind.

• $30/year? That's $2.50 a month.

Yeah that's real sustainable.

Yep, promo code 2GBYR still works also.

Total Recurring: $30.00 USD Annually

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@pubcrawler said: Yeah that's real sustainable.

Maybe most of the customers of that promo just purchase for the kicks of it, but probably just consuming 100mb and sits idle most of the time.

• jarjar Provider

Apparently it doesn't matter what you sell them for. If you sell them cheap enough, people don't even buy them to use them. Looking at you, node5, with your 12gb out of 64gb usage....

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@pubcrawler said: $30/year? That's $2.50 a month.
    Yeah that's real sustainable.

I'm know I'm being stupid but that price just makes me want one.

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• @Nekki

That's the idea. :)

• just keep in mind, there's no guarantee your data will exist tomorrow.

as long as you're using it for transient purposes, no problem!

Retired!

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited January 2013

They got a promo, $1 for a 2gb vps for the first month. Obvious I bought one but not going to renew it.

Servitor.io - Server and website monitoring. Free to use!

• People piss away $30 just because? Ahh probably far less than say at a $15 price point.

Monthly wasted plans are a different monster. I bet there are tons of folks on monthly plans who pay and sit idle. I have some of those :) They are for live spares, as needed.

Now some folks invest a good amount of time or money in getting whatever working on their VPS. So they pay just to have it there when/if needed.

The economics of the 2GB VPS @ $2.50 a month are silly. Even if we have a 64GB RAM server we are speaking of 32 of these plans or 64 if double selling the space.

32 x $2.50 = $80 /month income
    64 x $2.50 = $160 /month income

Really have to either:
    1. Sell many plans at a higher price point
    2. Overload nodes.

• rm_rm_ Member

@pubcrawler
    "Your stupid"(tm) if you divide the world into black and white of "zero overselling" and "overload nodes" while talking about 2GB of RAM OpenVZ customers.

• This is bad for in general for vps business : a new incomer after proving some providers like this and finding problems will generalize that all the vps market its the same.
    I never had ChicagoVps so i don't know how performance is and hope that most of the people overestimate their needs and all live happily on the server.

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited January 2013

@tsanten said: This is bad for in general for vps business : a new incomer after proving some providers like this and finding problems will generalize that all the vps market its the same.

ChicagoVPS is not a provider "like this", they are not some newcomer who tries to oversell by 9000x and run with the money, they operate with the cheap 2GB RAM offer successfully since 2011, so hats off to them for actually making this work.

I know what you mean, but in this case your comment is totally misdirected and unjustified, especially as you

@tsanten said: never had ChicagoVps so i don't know how performance is

• @rm_

I expect overselling of resources. It's like this in all data services (cellular, data plans, internet access, hosting, etc.)

Problem is, unlike most of those, a VPS rental sits there consuming resources even when unused. Doubt folks paying but with unused containers leave them closed/shutdown. So they are consuming something, every customer.

At 64 plans we are talking about overselling a 64GB of RAM server by twice as much RAM.

That's working on assumption of 64GB RAM server. Bet they are running 32GB servers meaning more like a 4x RAM oversell.

Question for providers is what is reasonable oversell.

Is it a 10x oversell? Doubt it. My bet is on 3-5x ratio.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@pubcrawler said: VPS rental sits there consuming resources even when unused.

But OVZ is not like that right? You could have sold 100GB Ram but the node could be only hitting 8GB?

• rm_rm_ Member

@pubcrawler said: Problem is, unlike most of those, a VPS rental sits there consuming resources even when unused.

You know zero of how OpenVZ works. The RAM that a customer does not use, is actually not used. Not consumed. The node does not need to hold a reserve of 2GB for you, if you have a 2GB plan and only use 100MB of RAM.

(Even on Xen/KVM the unused RAM can be returned to the host via balooning, but there it's much trickier, so you don't see a lot of cheap 2GB Xen/KVM offers around)

• @pubcrawler said: My bet is on 3-5x ratio.

We do way less than this. Maybe it's not the right way then :)

@pubcrawler said: That's working on assumption of 64GB RAM server. Bet they are running 32GB servers meaning more like a 4x RAM oversell.

According to your pricing, even this wouldn't be profitable after SolusVM + Support + Hardware + IP + Colo costs.

• jarjar Provider
    edited January 2013

I don't think he meant all the memory was consumed, but yeah, every vps powered on does have a footprint. Doesn't have to equal it's allotment. Which is to say you can only oversell so far even if no one is using it.

• As per Serverbear:

UnixBench Bottom 37%
    Bandwidth Benchmark Bottom 48%
    HDD Bottom 1%
    RAM Bottom 15%

But oddly:
    I/O Benchmark Top 17%

I also see rather fast bandwidth test results that are way about 100Mbps. Although, I am unaware of CVPS offering gigabit VPS offers.

• Thanks @jarland. Exactly what I meant :)

• I'd love to buy 10 of them, and just blast Minecraft Using the full allocation with Java, just to be one of the only idiots who uses the 2GB Allocation.

Security Consultant

• This graph on serverbear shows the extent of overselling in my opinion - http://serverbear.com/876-openvz-enterprise-chicagovps

If you look at prometeus for example, you will notice that the results don't vary by much. Chicagovps on the other hand, good one minute and terrible the next.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@titanicsaled said: If you look at prometeus for example, you will notice that the results don't vary by much. Chicagovps on the other hand, good one minute and terrible the next.

uncle is conservative. he is more like underselling.

• @titanicsaled said: good one minute and terrible the next

This is why I cancelled my service with them. Thought Kevin's joining would stabilize the nodes, but it wasn't the case.

• herbyscrubherbyscrub Member
    edited January 2013

I use my $30/year 2GB heavily and have done so without problems for months now.

Everyone is smart enough to know that it's obvious overselling, but it's still very useable. Just from browsing this forum, you can tell they're responsive enough to move your server to a different node if requested. It's just a juggling act to mix in the heavy users with the impulse buyers.

It's baffling to have so many people continually bringing up this plan. Show evidence, graphs, pictures of the awfulness...or just quietly enjoy the ridiculous price.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@herbyscrub said: Everyone is smart enough to know that it's obvious overselling, but it's still very useable. Just from browsing this forum, you can tell they're responsive enough to move your server to a different node if requested. It's just a juggling act to mix in the heavy users with the impulse buyers.

I hear the Buffalo location is the best from the 3 choices

• I never had ChicagoVps like i said but i came in contact with people ho does have it and not speaking good about it. Overselling is good and necessary to take down the price but don't tell me you are putting your business on one of their servers.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited January 2013

My BornIn.Asia project is hosted on Chicago VPS and so far, I would say at least they are very stable, @pubcrawler if you want you can sign up for a free account in BornIn.Asia, put up a webpage there and set up some kind of monitoring to see how the network is.

EDIT The VPS hosting Bornin.Asia is in their Buffalo location.

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself!
    96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some)

• Chicago VPS are far from unusable and if that happens is transitory/can be dealt with after a ticket.
    Not rock solid, of course, but you cant really expect that.
    Dont host your production site there, but development, hobby, test, storage, all can be done and the price is right :)

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• @Maounique said: storage

Who needs 2GB RAM on a storage VPS ;)?
    I also have one of those 2GB thingy's. Still need to find a good use for it. Like you said, can't use it in a production environment so that's out of the question.

Linux noob willing to learn.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Provider

@eastonch said: I'd love to buy 10 of them, and just blast Minecraft Using the full allocation with Java, just to be one of the only idiots who uses the 2GB Allocation.

We have people that do that, I'm not afraid. What everyone doesn't understand is that we made this sustainable. We are one of the few providers that allow MC.

We made a niche for our self and are able to provide it with fantastic results. Thank you @PubCrawler for reviving the offer :) I see lots of sales coming in already.

I just wish everyone would stop thinking this is such a big surprise. We have been doing this for years and know what we are doing providing a great product, yet the speculation still continues saying "its unsustainable".

ColoCrossing.com - Premier Datacenter and Cloud Solutions for Business

This discussion has been closed.