Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin now has built in Let's Encrypt support, AWESOME!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin now has built in Let's Encrypt support, AWESOME!

Since the just released version 1.50 of Directadmin, Let's Encrypt support is built in to the control panel:

http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1828

It's amazingly fast and easy to set up, plus the renewal is fully automatic. I've written a guide here on getting it working:

https://raymii.org/s/articles/Lets_Encrypt_Directadmin_Now_Built_In.html

For those unknown with Let's Encrypt, Let's Encrypt is a new certificate authority, recognized by all major browsers. They make it a breeze to set up TLS certificates for your web server. And for free! Let's Encrypt is supported by major players like Mozilla, Akamai, Cisco, the EFF, the Internet Security Research Group and others. Let's Encrypt provides free, automatic and secure certificates so that every website can be secured with an SSL certificate.

Comments

• oh and fuck balls to cloudflare. This post has just two links, don't ask me for a fucking captcha. And if you do, then make sure I can actually enter the captcha without turning off javascript...

Thanked by 1qba82
  • MacPacMacPac Member
    edited February 2016

Nice move by DirectAdmin but i never thought of using any hosting panel for personal use.

• @MacPac said:
    Nice move by DirectAdmin but i never thought of using any hosting panel for personal use.

I mostly don't either, but Directadmin is easy and lightweight. Most of the sites I host for family and friends are on a DA machine because email, dns and other related stuff comes built in.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • Nice guide, and how for the server hostname and DA panel?

• Nice, but DA is closed source and not free to use, isn't it?

• has anyone have experience buying license from http://directadminlicense.com/ ?

• The most expensive legacy control panel

Thanked by 3doughmanes hostnoob sin
  • @TableHosting said:
    The most expensive legacy control panel

Uhm? TableHosting? Chairhosting? LOOOOL.

Plss i neeed curtainhosting

We already use this plugin and working great :P

• @info_hash said:
    Nice, but DA is closed source and not free to use, isn't it?

Both correct, but, IMHO, worth the money.

• Lol @ TableHosting

• LOL Tablehosting!

• DA is quite expensive compared to say plesk though http://www.directadmin.com/pricing.html

• @TarZZ92 said:
    DA is quite expensive compared to say plesk though http://www.directadmin.com/pricing.html

If you have a reseller or your host / provider / dc offers it, it can get as cheap as EUR 3 / month.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Raymii said:
    If you have a reseller or your host / provider / dc offers it, it can get as cheap as EUR 3 / month.

Initial pricing was $5.00/month when I talked to them years back. There was a 'buy out right' deal for a while that wasn't that bad, was $40 or so.

Francisco

• As a provider you can get a lifetime license for currency-40-something (I know we do). Recycle those, and profit after X time.

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited February 2016

@Raymii said:
    As a provider you can get a lifetime license for currency-40-something (I know we do). Recycle those, and profit after X time.

For me its 89 USD :(

(last time i bought shitworx for 470USD. Never.. ever)

• @ZweiTiger said:
    (last time i bought shitworx for 470USD. Never.. ever)

I think it's about volume. We have, last time I checked, which was 7 months ago, over 80 000 licenses active.

• Typo, that should be 8000.

• @Raymii on chrome windows 10 I get SSL protocol error for tls.so

• Once you have 19 licenses with them you get the lower $49 lifetime license. I personally am a huge DirectAdmin fan, I think it is well worth the money. It simply works an doesn't take up too much overhead. The new release with LetsEncrypt is awesome and works as advertised. If you host or resell VPS's email their sales and added as a provider, VPS license is only $5 a month. They are pretty lenient on who they approve as a "server provider."

• Now i need to hop into one of those "kansas" datacenters for a vps/dedi to test out DA with a free license. New versions doesn't mean new features with DA. So yea..

• @upfreak said:
    Now i need to hop into one of those "kansas" datacenters for a vps/dedi to test out DA with a free license. New versions doesn't mean new features with DA. So yea..

With a new design.. DA should beat cPanel which is very overpriced.

• There are several new features in this release, it is one of the bigger releases since I h've been using DA. Also if you go to newsite.directadmin.com you can get a sneak peak at a new theme that they are going to be releasing (its in a thumb nail). Looks promising. I know I have used cPanel and DA with customers, and I get far less request for help with DA. It may not be as powerful with all the features of cPanel, but the abundance of features in cPanel lead to more support request from the end users, and most of thos features they will never need to use.

• @klpowell said:
    There are several new features in this release, it is one of the bigger releases since I h've been using DA. Also if you go to newsite.directadmin.com you can get a sneak peak at a new theme that they are going to be releasing (its in a thumb nail). Looks promising. I know I have used cPanel and DA with customers, and I get far less request for help with DA. It may not be as powerful with all the features of cPanel, but the abundance of features in cPanel lead to more support request from the end users, and most of thos features they will never need to use.

Thank you very much!

Do you know any release eta?

• I've not seen anything yet.

• klpowell said: There are several new features in this release, it is one of the bigger releases since I h've been using DA. Also if you go to newsite.directadmin.com you can get a sneak peak at a new theme that they are going to be releasing (its in a thumb nail). Looks promising. I know I have used cPanel and DA with customers, and I get far less request for help with DA. It may not be as powerful with all the features of cPanel, but the abundance of features in cPanel lead to more support request from the end users, and most of thos features they will never need to use.

Back in the past, around 2009 I used DA for my customers. I was really satisfied with the product back then. A few days ago, I checked their home page and the demo. I was kind of surprised because not much changed since then. Both the panel and DA homepage looks so much early 2000s. I visited this thread to complain about that. But their new homepage and panel design looks good. With budget friendly life time licenses, I can give them another try.

• this is without billing system right?

• @sugeng said:
    has anyone have experience buying license from http://directadminlicense.com/ ?

it's fake:
    https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=51615

• sugengsugeng Member
    edited February 2016
  • I also love directadmin, for the price, its good for few websites.