Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best SPEED OVH Datacenter?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best SPEED OVH Datacenter?

I'm trying to get one Dedicated server from -> https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/ type ENTERPRISE, but i don't know which location better for me, I want best speed for US, Europe and Asia. Please help !

Which is the best (all around) OVH VPS location?
  1. Which is the best SPEED OVH VPS location?58 votes
    1. Beauharnois, Canada
      39.66%
    2. Gravelines, France
      60.34%

Comments

• Gravelines would probably be the one that serves the best average ping.

• Better question.

If you want the best speed to ALL the locations, why not get ALL the dedi's?

• @black said:
    Gravelines would probably be the one that serves the best average ping.

It's not. I did some testing and RBX generally is some ms faster than all other locations from a worldwide perspective. We are talking about 2-5ms, but anyway.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited February 2016

@vaotam said:

GRA is a few MS less across the water to USA due to direct connection to London POP.

RBX is generally better connected EU wide, as has direct connection to FRA and AMS pop.

• http://weathermap.ovh.net/ shows that both RBX & GRA are connected to London POP

• @mokafu said:
    http://weathermap.ovh.net/ shows that both RBX & GRA are connected to London POP

Correct, however RBX basically passes through the GRA route on the way to London POP.

Therefore GRA having a couple less ms to USA destinations due to closer the London POP, but we are talking a couple of ms.

• A couple of ms is not going to make any real world difference.

Thanked by 2Dylan XIAOSpider97
  • RBX is faster and has better ddos protection tbh

• Well, Asia is quite big so it depends... Many routes from OVH Europe to Asia go from EU to USA and then Asia, but some others go directly to India. Which countries are you talking about? I would tell you to get a vps with ramnode in Seattle for US + Asia and a OVH vps in France for EU + Middle East + Africa customers.

• @rds100 said:
    A couple of ms is not going to make any real world difference.

Depends what you're doing...in my line of work, a few ms can make the difference between zero and hero.

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    Depends what you're doing...in my line of work, a few ms can make the difference between zero and hero.

Then pay for servers in more locations....

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited February 2016

@Jonchun said:
    Then pay for servers in more locations....

Glad your knowledge about the world starts and stops with hosting simple web apps.

Let me hold your hand for you: consider, oh I don't know, a hedge fund that is arbitraging the SPY S&P 500 ETF trading on NYSE Arca in Mahwah, NJ vs S&P 500 futures trading on CME Globex in Aurora, IL. Explain to me how more servers improves the latency between these locations?

Golly gee, maybe you should go have a word with the guys who have built microwave towers across the country because they can build them in straight lines and microwaves in air travel faster than light in fiber. Sounds like you could save them a boat load of money with this whole "BUY MOAR SERVERS!!!11!" approach you have.

• A few ms really matters for example in forex trading and other finance related transactions as well as for research. For a web page however, it's almost irrelevant.

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    Let me hold your hand for you: consider, oh I don't know, a hedge fund that is arbitraging the SPY S&P 500 ETF trading on NYSE Arca in Mahwah, NJ vs S&P 500 futures trading on CME Globex in Aurora, IL. Explain to me how more servers improves the latency between these locations?

Hedgers jobs are to minimize loss due to exchange fluctuations (currencies, futures, options, etc), not to do arbitrage (although they are free to do it).

Having said that, if you trade in multiple exchange markets simultaneously, you need servers as close to the exchange as possible, but you use each server for that nearest exchange only.

If you use a broker, you want them to be as close as possible also.

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited February 2016

@peixotorms said:
    Hedgers jobs are to minimize loss due to exchange fluctuations (currencies, futures, options, etc), not to do arbitrage (although they are free to do it).

Exchange fluctuations? What? Do you understand what a hedge is or what a hedge fund? A hedge is just something that mitigates risk. This is my job so willing to discuss more, but it sounds like you just went and read a wiki or something.

A hedge can take many forms, most often not to completely mitigate risk, but to mitigate a certain kind so that you can concentrate exposure. I might be putting on a massive laid up options position, which involves substantial hedging but could be very well be riskier than a delta 1 position. I am just substituting delta risk for vega and theta...and in return getting convexity (gamma). Sooo is this not a hedge? Of course it is. The devil is in the details.

@peixotorms said:
    Having said that, if you trade in multiple exchange markets simultaneously, you need servers as close to the exchange as possible, but you use each server for that nearest exchange only.

No. No. No. Just plain no. Why do you think there are lasers being erected on rooftops in NYC? Why do you think they laid new transatlantic fiber just to shave 6ms?

@peixotorms said:
    If you use a broker, you want them to be as close as possible also.

HFT are not using brokers...they have DMA. And non-HFT doesn't really give a shit how close they are.

• @peixotorms said:
    A few ms really matters for example in forex trading and other finance related transactions

And if anyone is using LET style services for trading.... Time for a reality check :)

• All this financial talk, have we turned into LowEndHF and LowEndBanking?

• We use RBX and it seems to perform fairly well, so +1 there.