Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US VPS for SSH tunnel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

US VPS for SSH tunnel

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited January 2013 in General

Hey everyone,

Currently i'm using a Frontrangehosting VPS for the SSH tunnel i'm using to watch netflix and hulu with
But the network is just not fast enough, (it was fast in the beginning) but now the upload speed just doesnt goes above 300-350 kb/s so the videos i'm watching just keeps buffering for a few minutes then plays the video for 5 minutes then just buffers again (which didnt happen before)

Now i'm in need of a new VPS, as cheap as possible, needs to have a good latency to The Netherlands
I don't want a yearly VPS, quarterly is fine though

Traffic should be atleast 50GB and the network port atleast 20mbps

Comments

• You should try running a normal Socks 5 proxy instead of an SSH tunnel.

IIRC SSH sends all your traffic through one connection which can cause slowdowns

• Ahm, why don't you just use CloudShards that is in your footer.

But I think most decent LEB VPSes will do, for example RamNode.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

Our Buffalo, NY has good connectivity to EU. Available yearly though, won't be able to do quarterly at the prices we do but quite fairly priced ;)

http://annualvps.com

(You can PM me for IP if you want to test ping to any of our US locations (Los Angeles/Chicago/Buffalo))

• Buffalo, New York or the folks over in Choopa's facility in New Jersey.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: You should try running a normal Socks 5 proxy instead of an SSH tunnel.

IIRC SSH sends all your traffic through one connection which can cause slowdowns

I could watch videos in HD (1080p) with it, so SSH speeds are fine at me

• @joodle Are you on ADSL or Cable? What is your own ISP speed? Mine (KPN ADSL 20 Mbit) has bad connection to USA :(

Also, try a "real" vpn: https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/IPSEC_L2TP_vpn_with_Ubuntu_12.04.html

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited January 2013

@Raymii said: Are you on ADSL or Cable? What is your own ISP speed? Mine (KPN ADSL 20 Mbit) has bad connection to USA

I got Ziggo lol, i have a good connection to New York though, around 90-95ms ping

• @Centaur said: Ahm, why don't you just use CloudShards that is in your footer.

Thanks for the mention :) If only everyone would carry our footer.

@pubcrawler said: Buffalo, New York or the folks over in Choopa's facility in New Jersey.

More interested in NYC at the moment. Working on something.

@joodle said: Now i'm in need of a new VPS, as cheap as possible, needs to have a good latency to The Netherlands

I don't want a yearly VPS, quarterly is fine though

Quarterly would work.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2013

I noticed you cancelled your IPXcore VPS today; it would have been fine for that. We have a huge pile of customers already doing that.

edited January 2013

Got a VPS , thanks everyone!

edited January 2013

@Damian said: I noticed you cancelled your IPXcore VPS today; it would have been fine for that.

Yeah, haha, but for some reason it has never been fast for me... ping also was around 200ms, was using it as a VPN for a classmate of me

• Check out SSHuttle, I like it better than just straight up ssh tunnels.

ssh -r user@remotelocation 0/0 -vv
    [sudo pass]
    [remote pass]

Now all your connections are tunneled through your remote server, and don't have to fuss with setting ports in all your individual programs.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited January 2013

Network speed can be very different depending on routing. I have 3 VPS on Colocrossing Buffalo with different providers. When I issue a mtr command from a BuyVM or Urpad VPS towards my Prometeus VPS IP, the route is identical (trough Cogent). But if I issue a ping to my home PC, I have a 10 ms shorter ping time on the BuyVM VPS. When I issue the mtr command on the IPXcore VPS to the Prometeus VPS, the route is totally different: first Telia and then Level3.
    The IPXcore VPS works perfectly to watch Hulu in HD for my home ADSL. Network speed is very stable and ping time from home is the lowest. I had to setup a PPTP VPN (nice tutorial on the Prometeus support wiki). I previously used SSH tunnel, and I had occasional stuttering. I suggest @joodle to try PPTP.

• SSH has crypto overhead. It slows things down quite a bit, especially where either end computer is already busy.

For high def type video, that is going to impact things. Especially since many popular service already are bonky and have throughput constraints and clogs in their path to you.

IPXCore, BuyVM, ChicagoVPS, etc. are all on the same Buffalo network (Colocrossing). Probably a dozen other companies on here selling the same facility. Get one and love it :) Jersey is the only place faster or Manhattan itself.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@pubcrawler said: Jersey is the only place faster or Manhattan itself

Naah, not only NJ/NYC. There are also some other east coast LEB providers with slightly lower latency to europe than Buffalo hosted providers (ie. Crowncloud/Baltimore and all other offers around Ashburn, Up2VPS/Clarks Summit and all other offers around Scranton, etc..)

• Up2VPS? No thanks. Been there and tried them in the past.

Have to refer to the sea cable map to determine things. Bunch of connections come in around NYC. One up in Massachusetts. Saw another in Virginia Beach I believe.

Possible the Ashburn, VA location might have lower latency. Unsure who is over that VA sea cable though. See a number of providers go Ashburn up to NYC metro and out to sea.

Clarks Summit, I see no reason why that location would have lower latency than VA or NYC. It has to be backhauled to either/or. It's fairly close to NYC, so likely point of exit.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

It's most likely little misunderstanding :) I didn't say lower latency than NJ/NYC but corrected your statement as there are also some other places with lower latency than Buffalo not just NJ/Manhattan.

@pubcrawler said: IPXCore, BuyVM, ChicagoVPS, etc. are all on the same Buffalo network (Colocrossing). Probably a dozen other companies on here selling the same facility. Get one and love it :) Jersey is the only place faster or Manhattan itself.

• :) No problem @Spirit. A bit of a mismash there :)

Buffalo latency increase is around +10ms from NYC/Jersey.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

I am getting a slightly bigger differences from central-southeastern part of europe.

Around 150ms to Tampa
    Around 140ms to Buffalo
    Around 130ms to Baltimore or Scranton
    Around 105ms - 115ms to NJ/NYC for me

Unlike op I have no issues with watching Hulu over any of those locations OpenVPN however I never tryed over SSH tunnel.

• @Spirit, odd increase for you between times in NJ/NYC vs. Buffalo. Looks like 25ms latency more. That's way too high increase. Are those taken from traceroute or pings of the endpoints?

The hops between Buffalo and NYC out side are two it looks like (based on various traceroutes from Buffalo to Europe):

Typically goes like this out ---> Buffalo (Telia) ---> NYC (Cogent often) then the hop over the Atlantic

On the inbound from the UK, here is the NYC to Buffalo leg:
    6: nyk-bb1-link.telia.net 127.950ms asymm 8
    7: buf-b1-link.telia.net 80.948ms asymm 9
    8: giglinx-ic-155660-buf-b1.c.telia.net 81.738ms asymm 9

Telia isn't exactly low latency and often goes multi hops with no output to traceroute/similar. Seems fine in Buffalo going out. But heading in, who knows, note enough nodes to pick at it and determine.

Seeing 9-12ms from Buffalo to NYC peering point right now.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

It may be directly between Buffalo and NYC however if I try from EU I almost always get around 25 ms difference. Most likely depend from route it take.

8 buf-b1-link.telia.net 0.0% 10 114.6 115.4 114.6 122.5 2.5
    9 giglinx-ic-155660-buf-b1.c.t 0.0% 10 119.0 120.4 115.1 132.3 4.5
    10 host.colocrossing.com 0.0% 10 118.5 121.5 118.5 132.0 4.9
    11 buf-test.chicagovps.net 10.0% 10 126.0 125.0 118.6 132.1 5.3

-

11 as20473.ae7.ar1.nyc3.us.nlay 0.0% 10 98.4 99.5 93.5 113.2 6.4
    12 ve20-br1.pnj1.choopa.net 0.0% 10 112.6 104.7 101.9 112.6 4.5
    13 108.61.92.146.choopa.net 0.0% 10 102.2 109.8 102.1 162.9 19.3
    14 hosted-by.armorshark.com 10.0% 10 101.9 101.9 101.9 102.1 0.1
    (tested from Vienna - Castlegem)

9 te3-1.ccr01.buf02.atlas.coge 0.0% 10 287.2 243.6 144.4 317.2 59.5
    10 38.122.36.46 10.0% 10 115.2 114.4 111.0 118.3 2.2