Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm a gamer, updated the rig a bit, take a guess at the parts now :)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm a gamer, updated the rig a bit, take a guess at the parts now :)

edited February 2016 in General

---Edit
RAM - 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz (Had to underclock to 2333MHz due to stability issues)
GPU - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 G1 Gaming
PSU - AX1500i Corsair
CPU - I7-5960X OC 4.5GHz

Comments

• CPU cooler looks like a swift tech. PSU is obviously an AX1500i - I'm going to assume a Windforce 390X or 290X

Fans look like SP120MM from Corsair. CPU I couldn't tell you simply because it's covered and thus I won't take a guess at the mobo either but the ram looks like Corsair Dominator Platinum.

How am I doing so far?

• @IThinkUFailed

CPU Loop is all EKWB + primochill for the tubing.
    GPU is a GTX 980 G1 Gaming.
    RAM is 64GB DDR4 2666MHz Vengeance LPX from corsair :)

• LeeLee Veteran

Not a gamer is 64GB ram simply overkill for anything game related?

Thanked by 1tehdan
  • BradNDBradND Member
    edited February 2016

@Lee said:
    Not a gamer is 64GB ram simply overkill for anything game related?

Yup definitely.

• It's stupid overkill, i've never seen a game use over 6GB, but I sometimes run VMs with garrys's mod servers on them for friends, I give the VMs 16GB.

Task Manager: http://prntscr.com/a65j1k

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @NameTheseParts said:

CPU Loop is all EKWB + primochill for the tubing.
    GPU is a GTX 980 G1 Gaming.
    RAM is 64GB DDR4 2666MHz Vengeance LPX from corsair :)

Damn I was pretty far off. The GPU cooler looks like one from a 290X mostly.

The RAM had that shimmer that made me think "Corsair Dominator Platinum"

EKWB is pretty good from what I hear. Swifttech do similar CPU brackets that's why I thought them.

Nice rig, DDR4 so I assume it's a either a 5930k, 5960x or a 5820k base system?

Did you do the sleeving on the cables yourself?

• Since you guys can't guess the CPU since it's covered, it's an I7-5960X running 4.5GHz.
    Task Manager: http://prntscr.com/a65jw4

• @IThinkUFailed

I wish I had the skill for that, cables ordered from corsair, I think they look damn georgious, can someone tell me where you get them cable organiser clippy things that go on the cables and assort them perfectly?

• Obvious case is very obvious, guess it?

• Are you an alt of one of the members here?

• @NameTheseParts said:
    IThinkUFailed

I wish I had the skill for that, cables ordered from corsair, I think they look damn georgious, can someone tell me where you get them cable organiser clippy things that go on the cables and assort them perfectly?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Lovely cable management by the way. I almost went with a 5960X as I do a lot of video transcoding from my PC to other devices in the house but I just couldn't justify the cost since I did it fine on my i7 3770k... I now own a 6700K and couldn't be happier(I only upgraded due to my motherboard dying)

• @ManofServer I'm the alt of the world. The answer is no, this is my only account.

@IThinkUFailed I just game, honestly considered the 6700K but I wanted the whole "Best desktop CPU to date" thing, so I went with a 5960X, not to mension I saw the issues people were having with 6700K's warping with excess mounting pressure (I am guilty of this).
    Honestly for just gaming a 6700K would have probably done better, although i'm not concerned as very, very soon when intel releases the supposed 6950X I will be buying that, Not to mension i've set aside £3000 for nvidia's next GTX TITAN, I'm buying two of 'em.

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • @NameTheseParts said:
    ManofServer I'm the alt of the world. The answer is no, this is my only account.

IThinkUFailed I just game, honestly considered the 6700K but I wanted the whole "Best desktop CPU to date" thing, so I went with a 5960X, not to mension I saw the issues people were having with 6700K's warping with excess mounting pressure (I am guilty of this).
    Honestly for just gaming a 6700K would have probably done better, although i'm not concerned as very, very soon when intel releases the supposed 6950X I will be buying that, Not to mension i've set aside £3000 for nvidia's next GTX TITAN, I'm buying two of 'em.

Pascal looks very enticing.

I use a NZXT Kraken X61 and it worked beautifully. I think the issue is probably more present on stuff such as the Hyper Evo 212 really...

I'm hoping to pickup one card this next time round rather than dual GPU.

• LeeLee Veteran

Mine, even that is complete overkill for my needs :P

• Some ROG* mobo.. Can't tell which one..

• Well you've guessed as much as my pictures show, may as well reveal the overall specs:

CPU: I7-5960X 4.5GHz OC
    RAM: 64GB DDR4 2666MHz
    Mobo: ROG Rampage V Extreme
    Case: Obsidian series 900D
    PSU: AX1500i Titanium Corsair
    GPU: GTX 980 G1 Gaming 1523MHz OC (core clock)
    1x Kingston 120GB SSD
    2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD
    1x 256GB SM951 2150MB/s Read 1250MB/s write OS drive
    CPU Cooler: EKWB Kit X360
    Fans: All corsair SP120 W/ white rims

That's it, that's pretty much the specs. Hits every single game out on the highest settings at 60 fps relatively easily. CPU Runs at 44*c idle with fans spinning at 360 +/- 4 Rpm.

• You didn't fall for the Skyshit meme but you fell for the 1000w+ PSU meme, the i7 "EXTREME EDITION" meme. Also with a budget this huge why a 980 instead of a 980TI?????? The 5960X is what annoys me the most about this build. The thing is over $600 more than a 5820k for 2 more cores and 4 more threads. Like I say below if you went 5820k and not a 1500w EXTREME overkill psu you could have spent that money on 2 980 TIs in SLI since this is a gaming rig.

IMO/tl;dr you should have went with a quality 850w PSU, i7 5820k, and SLI 980 TIs.

Thanked by 1Antonio
  • @aldothetroll
    Your name says it all (Joke, sorry I had to)

I actually got the AX1500i as a gift, I had an RM850 before hand. I already had the 980 when I bought the I7-5960X and wasn't willing to replace it. I don't have a "Budget" I just spend as much as I care to.

And you're telling me something I already know. I know pairing a single 980 with a 5960X is rediculous and stupid, I know my build skipped leg day, and don't particularly care since the CPU and GPUs will be upgraded in the next 5 months to two of the next TITANS and intel's next extreme edition.

• @IThinkUFailed

Forgot to ask, I'm assuming you overclocked the flying sh*t out of your 6700k with the kraken? I heard the new skylake CPUs don't put out much heat at all.

• @NameTheseParts said:
    IThinkUFailed

Forgot to ask, I'm assuming you overclocked the flying sh*t out of your 6700k with the kraken? I heard the new skylake CPUs don't put out much heat at all.

They really don't put out much heat. I haven't overclocked at all as my mobo's bios seems to lack proper voltage control and thus I've had it set to a 1.22 voltage atm and it has been stable for a good few weeks and the only crashes I've had are graphic adapter ones but I'm unsure why on that.

Oh well. I want to look at overclocking slightly in a few weeks and just ramp up slowly.

• That's a pretty nice rig you got there!
    Personally though I would go for a 4790k or a 6700k for gaming purposes.
    Nice cable management though looks neat.

• @IThinkUFailed What kind of motherboard do you have?

@GlideServers Agreed. But I wasn't looking for practicality, plus overclocked to 4.5GHz it has pretty much the same performance as a 4790K, since Haswell-E isn't much different from Haswell anyways.

• Why do people keep posting this stuff? Isn't this what the Cest Pit is for?

Thanked by 3gsrdgrdghd Brad bersy
  • @cassa Latin for house.

Uhh I guess, I dunno. I guess I just did what i'd do on other forums on here. Sorry if I was wrong to do so :/.

• @NameTheseParts ah, now I see. You only created an account here to post photos of your setups on this forum. It isn't really meant for that, but let the other LET members and mods decide :)

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • @cassa said:
    NameTheseParts ah, now I see. You only created an account here to post photos of your setups on this forum. It isn't really meant for that, but let the other LET members and mods decide :)

We need a HighEndTalk for these

• I don't game on my laptop, but I have 8GB RAM because why not?

I like to disable paging file though.

• @NameTheseParts said:
    IThinkUFailed What kind of motherboard do you have?

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero - and yes, I'm on the latest bios.

• @zllovesuki I saw another thread on the forum suggest it yesterday

@hostnoob I also disable pagefile, wouldn't need it anyways, 8GB of ram doesn't seem like much, the only reason I have pointlessly stupid amounts of RAM is freedom for the main part.

@IThinkUFailed Nah, dude, cmon, i've always used ROG motherboards and they've always had good voltage control. It'll be in there somewhere, it has to be. And btw nice motherboard.

• edited February 2016

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5087431109 (Sent this link to my pal @Shinji257 a bit back)

Also good for use as a server if I ever want to host a gameserver for friends, the gameserver is more then usually hosted on an Ubuntu Server VM running on VMWare Workstation (No, NOT pirated, I hate piracy and anyone who commits piracy)