Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RocketVPS merged into KnownHost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RocketVPS merged into KnownHost

Tim Flavin (Hostigation)

We are contacting you today to inform you of changes that will be taking places with the services provided by RocketVPS. We have decided to consolidate all services currently provided by RocketVPS into our primary managed VPS brand, KnownHost. We are making this change to ensure the continued performance and stability of your existing services.

This change will give you access to our full support team for issues pertaining to your account, but keeping in mind that the over all services are remaining unmanaged. We will also be integrating you into our existing billing and support systems. This change will provide you with access to https://my.knownhost.com to manage all of your billing needs, as well as provide all VPS management aspects to start & stop your VPS, as well as reset the root password, view usage statistics and many other features. To learn more about this interface please visit https://wiki.knownhost.com/my-knownhost . You will also gain access to our support department using the same username and password by visiting https://support.knownhost.com .

If you are currently paying your invoice via credit card we will import all existing payment information and nothing will change, you will continue to be automatically billed as normal. Important If you are currently paying with a Paypal subscription this must be cancelled. You will be able to submit manual payments via Paypal as invoices are generated, but at this time we do not support reoccurring or subscription based payments with Paypal.

During this change we are going to retain all current package settings, pricing levels and add-ons for as long as you keep your account. This will also allow you to directly upgrade to one of KnownHost's many managed VPS packages. You can view our full line of packages by visiting https://www.knownhost.com/managed-vps-hosting.html for our standard VPS packages and https://www.knownhost.com/managed-ssd-vps-hosting.html for our managed SSD VPS packages.

Some of the processes that you are currently using will change during this transition period, primarily that the SolusVM console will be removed. To request things such as RDNS changes, or a template re-install you will need to submit a support ticket requesting this to https://support.knownhost.com or by emailing [email protected] from your authorized email address. During the transition you will be allowed to keep and maintain your existing operating system image, however, moving forward should you need to re-image your VPS we will only be able to re-image it with CentOS6 32bit or CentOS7

We anticipate this change to be completed no later than 02/28/2016. Once your account has been moved to our new billing system you will receive a password reset notification email allowing you to change the password for your new billing account.

We thank you for being a valued customer and look forward to serving you in the future. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please feel free to respond to this email and someone will assist you.

Sincerely
KnownHost, LLC Management.
www.knownhost.com

Comments

• Not sure if this is good or bad yet :(

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Interesting...

rockethost.com is down. That was their unmanaged brand. Maybe they had a hard time differentiating themselves in the market, since an unmanaged KH node is really no different than a Linode or such.

Only CentOS, eh? That's what they run their managed stuff on (obviously - it's all cPanel). Kind of sucks if you're now "legacy"...

Have you considered moving? @miTgiB might run a rockethost refugees special...

• raindog308 said: Have you considered moving?

That is what I am thinking about, it was the 3nd node in my PowerDNS cluster. Stable as anything.

[root@pdns3 ~]# w
     19:03:30 up 1274 days, 10:57,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    [root@pdns3 ~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           512         87        424          0          0         45
    -/+ buffers/cache:         41        470
    Swap:            0          0          0
    [root@pdns3 ~]#

Only time it has been rebooted was for their migration a few years ago, but I have had this since they launched the brand, $5/mo so I guess I could burn up some of my BuyVM credit now and get something in NJ to replace this.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Yeah.. so many drawbacks are introduced moving into their managed brand.

Doesn't seem like an advantage at all.

• I was wondering when something would happen with that brand, it seems to be stagnant for quite some time with no updates. Guess the market wasn't there for them.

• Since the beginning, Rocketvps were already another branch of Knownhost.

• That uptime is impressive Tim . Too bad they are making this move .

• miTgiB said: Not sure if this is good or bad yet :(

Only good things to come to you! If you have any questions be sure to let me know!

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

I also got their notification email. Rocketvps uptime is excellent, I purchased a vps when they start their unmanaged brand, didn't face any single downtime except their migration.

Hope the service will remain same.

• KnownHostChrisM said: Only good things to come to you!

IPv6? Really, what is good about this? Maybe I am not reading the info correctly, but you tossed a ton of info in there. Other than you saving the cost of SolusVM, what is in it for me?

• maxmindmaxmind Member
    edited February 2016

I have been using rocketVPS since their begening and it has been a +10 experience.. I also have servers with years of uptime and only 1 reboot because of a hardware migration that went over a few years ago.. Its an incredible company and they have been part of knownhost since they started.. I dont know why they didnt invest more money developing the brand.. twitter account wasnt used since they started.. forum was shutted down, they didnt do advertising on any website/forum.. Think they had a tremendous opportinity to develop the best unmanaged VPS brand and they missed it..

Once again I cant tell how happe we are with the rocketVPS service.. We host more than 50 servers and they are EXTREAMLY reliable, fast and stable.. Thanks again and hope this is only for better..

PS: Its great that they will keep the package structure and the princing..

• LeeLee Veteran

^^ Sus...

• Lee said: ^^ Sus...

He criticises them, too. Doesn't look suspicious.

• the way I see it they obviously want to make RocketVPS a trial for the potential clients of Knownhost, and now they are just adding another push to push the RocketVPS clients to become knownhost clients

• I am willing to offer RocketVPS clients a refugee deal, same spec, same pricing plus 10% off discount.

• MrRapidHost said: I am willing to offer RocketVPS clients a refugee deal, same spec, same pricing plus 10% off discount.

Why would they be seeking refuge? KnownHost aren't running away and the specs/prices are remaining the same.

Also, I don't see why anyone would move from a company that has been in the market since 2005 with a good reputation to someone that just started last year.

• miTgiB said: IPv6? Really, what is good about this? Maybe I am not reading the info correctly, but you tossed a ton of info in there. Other than you saving the cost of SolusVM, what is in it for me?

Pretty much all that is changing is where you will go to pay your bill and no longer having access to SolusVM. At KnownHost you will have also have access to our 24/7 support team with an average response time of under 2 minutes.

maxmind said: I have been using rocketVPS since their begening and it has been a +10 experience.. I also have servers with years of uptime and only 1 reboot because of a hardware migration that went over a few years ago.. Its an incredible company and they have been part of knownhost since they started.. I dont know why they didnt invest more money developing the brand.. twitter account wasnt used since they started.. forum was shutted down, they didnt do advertising on any website/forum.. Think they had a tremendous opportinity to develop the best unmanaged VPS brand and they missed it..

Once again I cant tell how happe we are with the rocketVPS service.. We host more than 50 servers and they are EXTREAMLY reliable, fast and stable.. Thanks again and hope this is only for better..

PS: Its great that they will keep the package structure and the princing..

Thanks for the positive words! If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact us.

Ishaq said: Why would they be seeking refuge? KnownHost aren't running away and the specs/prices are remaining the same.

Also, I don't see why anyone would move from a company that has been in the market since 2005 with a good reputation to someone that just started last year.

Good question. ;) No-one should be wary of the move, if anyone has any questions or concerns please contact us at [email protected] and we will be happy to help.

• KnownHostChrisM said: Pretty much all that is changing is where you will go to pay your bill and no longer having access to SolusVM. At KnownHost you will have also have access to our 24/7 support team with an average response time of under 2 minutes.

As a historically cheap Swede, I moved to BuyVM to save $1.50/mo and access to IPv6 for this PowerDNS node

I was simply confused how / what was changing, but I do have to say the service was good, stability was fantastic, but lack of IPv6 for the premium price made the email a wake-up call to move.

KnownHostChrisM said: Pretty much all that is changing is where you will go to pay your bill and no longer having access to SolusVM. At KnownHost you will have also have access to our 24/7 support team with an average response time of under 2 minutes.

You still have RocketVPS.com in your sig...and I I see RocketVPS.com is back up, though everything is out of stock.

So RocketVPS.com going away completely and you are not going to offer any unmanaged services in the future except for legacy customers...correct?

• raindog308 said: You still have RocketVPS.com in your sig...and I I see RocketVPS.com is back up, though everything is out of stock.

So RocketVPS.com going away completely and you are not going to offer any unmanaged services in the future except for legacy customers...correct?

I do not know of any outage with RVPS appears in your previous post you were saying rockethost.com which is incorrect as the domain is rocketvps.com

I've also updated my sig. ;)

KnownHostChrisM said: I do not know of any outage with RVPS appears in your previous post you were saying rockethost.com which is incorrect as the domain is rocketvps.com

Ah, probably my mistake.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited February 2016

raindog308 said: Ah, probably my mistake

Reading is fundamental

EDIT: Ok, wtf is with markdown not working :( @raindog308, if you could get that fixed, that would be great!

miTgiB said: Reading in fun_damental_

So are verbs :-)

Thanked by 2miTgiB MikePT
  • KnownHostChrisM said: Pretty much all that is changing is where you will go to pay your bill and no longer having access to SolusVM.

So people could still reinstall their VPS with Ubuntu or Debian after this move has been completed? And will they still have an OOB console and things like that?

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • @mpkossen said:
    So people could still reinstall their VPS with Ubuntu or Debian after this move has been completed? And will they still have an OOB console and things like that?

https://wiki.knownhost.com/my-knownhost

Looks like Java based console is available, although no mention on reformatting

• Jonchun said: although no mention on reformatting

It's in the original letter, you have your choice of any OS template, as long as it is CentOS 6 32bit and CentOS 7

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • On rocketvps to upgrade ram/disk etc we need to upgrade to bigger plan.

• KnownHostChrisM said: Pretty much all that is changing is where you will go to pay your bill and no longer having access to SolusVM. At KnownHost you will have also have access to our 24/7 support team with an average response time of under 2 minutes.

miTgiB said: It's in the original letter, you have your choice of any OS template, as long as it is CentOS 6 32bit and CentOS 7

@KnownHostChrisM: could you tell us which it is, please? Will more be changing or has there been a mistake in KnownHost's communication?

The conclusion I draw is that the current RocketVPS customer may be considerably more limited at KnownHost than is being said.

Thanked by 3Dylan raindog308 Rolter
  • mpkossen said: So people could still reinstall their VPS with Ubuntu or Debian after this move has been completed? And will they still have an OOB console and things like that?

They will not be able to, the only choices will CentOS6 32bit or CentOS7. I tried to get them to keep that ability for RVPS customers but was unable to.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

KnownHostChrisM said: They will not be able to, the only choices will CentOS6 32bit or CentOS7. I tried to get them to keep that ability for RVPS customers but was unable to.

Wow. That sucks a lot. Ehm, sorry... How unpleasant is that? No love for Debian? No more love from me...