Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSBiT - IPv6 Support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSBiT - IPv6 Support

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
edited February 2016 in Providers

Hello all from www.VPSBiT.com

We finally have IPv6 support in Lithuania. We thought we would get this up and running by September 2015, so the almost half year delay has been somewhat regretful.

So anyone on using our VPS in Lithuania can now request IPv6 addresses with no monthly fees.

In the near future, our free VPS may only come with a public IPv6 address due to the shortage, and high cost of IPv4 addresses. Existing free VPS will not be affected by this. NATed IPv4 would be available however for the new VPS on IPv6.

Updates on the website to reflect this will follow next week.

Edit: There is no monthly to add IPv6 for existing free VPS clients, but there is a setup fee applicable of $6 - $7 ($6 for BitCoin and $7 for Paypal). No such setup fees for PAID VPS clients. However we do not have DDoS protection on IPv6.

Comments

• This sounded a bit like an advert... Surely this is what your billing panel is for? It should have an announcements part.

• Possible to have a bgp session to announce own ipv6?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@IThinkUFailed said:
    This sounded a bit like an advert...

You may have noticed this was posted in the 'providers' category. Of course we are publishing this in a public on-line forum with the intent of gaining a little publicity. The difference is we are not specifically 'advertising' a product/service we offer; only the addition of IPv6 to our European network.

masterqqq said: Possible to have a bgp session to announce own ipv6?

Technically yes, but we won't do it for 'small' clients simply because of the administrative work involved. So we wont be 'advertising' this capability but if you really need it, and it is economical for us to do it for you, then of course we can talk.

• @randvegeta said:
    The difference is we are not specifically 'advertising' a product/service we offer; only the addition of IPv6 to our European network.

Then why didn't you just use Twitter or your billing panel? In my opinion it was a bit of an advert but I suppose others may see it differently...

IThinkUFailed said: Then why didn't you just use Twitter or your billing panel? In my opinion it was a bit of an advert but I suppose others may see it differently...

I see your point and apologize if this seems as if I am 'shamelessly advertising', but given we have many of our free users from LET (it all kicked off here!), I thought it would be a reasonable place to make an announcement. As for using other media, I neither use nor like twitter. And we will make an announcement and update our site content in the next few days. But anything published on our site, in my mind, always seems to require a more formal setting, where LET can be very casual indeed! I think it's one of the great charms of LET. People say what they want, profanity and all, and it's not really a problem :-)

• @randvegeta said:
    I see your point and apologize if this seems as if I am 'shamelessly advertising', but given we have many of our free users from LET (it all kicked off here!), I thought it would be a reasonable place to make an announcement. As for using other media, I neither use nor like twitter. And we will make an announcement and update our site content in the next few days. But anything published on our site, in my mind, always seems to require a more formal setting, where LET can be very casual indeed! I think it's one of the great charms of LET. People say what they want, profanity and all, and it's not really a problem :-)

I wasn't trying to be rude or disrespectful it's just it seemed a bit of an advert but I understand if most of your clients are from LET. My apologies, thought for a moment it was a new company popping up because "free vps" stuff comes and goes and I rarely keep track of them. Congratulations on the IPv6 ;)

(And I'm not saying you're going to come and go but it's the nature of this market in general even more so I imagine with offering it for free! I'll make a note of your name for future reference)

IThinkUFailed said: I'm not saying you're going to come and go

VPSBiT hasn't been around long but the free VPS has been running strong for a good 8 (almost 9) months now. For the most part, things are going pretty smoothly apart from the odd abuser and DDOS attack. Regardless, young as VPSBiT may be, it is spawned and funded by a much longer established, 13 year old hosting company ^_^.

One of the big issues with the free VPS is the IPv4 address space limitation. We had some spare IPs which we initially used, but long term it seems unsustainable given we don't have unlimited IPs. We have far more capacity with regards to bandwidth and hardware than we do with IPs and finding affordable IPv4 for FREE VPS is just not viable long term.

IPv6 is practically unlimited, so we have more than enough to give every man and his dog their own /64!

And IPv6 support has been requested by some member on LET but this has previously only been available in HK and USA. Finally, after 6 months delay, we have in Europe too!

IThinkUFailed said: wasn't trying to be rude or disrespectful

No offence taken. Understand the impression you got, and I suppose I am somewhat guilty of that :-). But I hope it doesn't bother anyone too much on this forum :D

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed
  • randvegeta said: In the near future, our free VPS may only come with a public IPv6 address due to the shortage, and high cost of IPv4 addresses. Existing free VPS will not be affected by this. NATed IPv4 would be available however for the new VPS on IPv6.

No more stock though - been wanting to pick up one for fun :(

theroyalstudent said: No more stock though - been wanting to pick up one for fun :(

We have a couple of new machines here going to launch this week. Should be another 120 free VPS supported by those machines. Probably will be the last IPv4 batch we give away.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @randvegeta said:

Wishing to get one, but can I have a IPv6 node instead? Hoping for shared IPv4 though :) Thanks a lot!

• You can always get free IPv6 from Hurricane Electric.

• @Alajos said:
    You can always get free IPv6 from Hurricane Electric.

I meant, I didn't need a node with dedicated IPv4, just a shared one would do, and also, having IPv6 connectivity on that would be fine.

• @theroyalstudent said:
    No more stock though - been wanting to pick up one for fun :(

Its restocked. Hurry.