Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paypal IPN issues.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paypal IPN issues.

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited January 2013 in Providers

Just a heads up, Paypal's IPN is acting up this morning and some payments are not being sent to WHMCS or any other billing system that utilizes Paypal's IPN. For those providers who have received new orders today, you may need to manually apply the payment to the invoice.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1232303

Comments

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We've seen this as well.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Noticed it too

• Ugh.. fix it paypal.

• Yeah, our history this morning was missing. Now everything is OK.

• Same here.

• yep seen this this morning also.

• Yeap same here, had a few transactions this morning during the time PayPal had it's issues, and no IPNs have been created for them (although I can see them in my dashboard).

Now, the question is: will the IPNs be created eventually, or should we just manually add the transactions to WHMCS?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

Go 2CO...!

2CO has a option to force failed transactions to be resubmitted, most likely paypal will not re-add them for you.

@George_Fusioned said: will the IPNs be created eventually, or should we just manually add the transactions to WHMCS?

• edited January 2013

I'd check the IPN history/log at PayPal istelf for the status of the notification prior to manually applying the payment as you may end up with duplicate payments resulting in a credit balance within your billing system (i.e. WHMCS); depending upon how, specifically, you applied the payment yourself. Depending upon the actual cause of the IPN problem, PayPal will sometimes retry and/or queue it; at times, it's simply delayed when PayPal is having certain issues.

@Jacob said: 2CO has a option to force failed transactions to be resubmitted

PayPal allows you to do this manually from the IPN history/log as well; you can tell PayPal to re-send the IPN. Which is, generally speaking, a better option than manually applying the payments within your billing system.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited January 2013

I noticed this this morning as well and have been manually adding payments ever since.

@George_Fusioned said: Now, the question is: will the IPNs be created eventually, or should we just manually add the transactions to WHMCS?

This is also a big question that needs to be answered, since if the IPN will evenutally be created and the invoice was already manually marked as paid, WHMCS will automatically add credits as it will think it was a "duplicate" payment, I don't want to have to go through 150+ transactions again just to remove the credits.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Same here, bloody annoying having to sort this out manually </3

• There is "IPN history" in paypal. Check what's there. If they couldn't send out the IPN and it is pending in the history it will be retried later.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 said: There is "IPN history" in paypal. Check what's there. If they couldn't send out the IPN and it is pending in the history it will be retried later.

For me it wasn't there, so I had to manually do it </3

• yeah nothing in there right now.

• I wonder what happened? Their databse disk got full? I thought they were "in the cloud" ;-)

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

The strange part is a few things are coming through, but the majority are not...

• I bought something at Envato and it failed. I retried 2 more times and failed. I logged in at paypal and no new transactions.

After 4 hours, an email was sent to me by paypal confirming the transactions. I logged in to paypal and found 3 payments made to Envato.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jcaleb said: I logged in to paypal and found 3 payments made to Envato.

One can never have too much Envato credit! :)

• @jarland said: One can never have too much Envato credit! :)

But I did not receive any

• Yeah have had to do multiple manual payments

• @CVPS_Kevin said: This is also a big question that needs to be answered, since if the IPN will evenutally be created and the invoice was already manually marked as paid, WHMCS will automatically add credits as it will think it was a "duplicate" payment, I don't want to have to go through 150+ transactions again just to remove the credits.

^ This. Currently the IPN history shows nothing about the transactions made during the time PayPal had system issues. So it's not possible to resubmit anything at this time yet.
    I'll wait a few hours; Envato mentioned that IPN would be fixed in around 12 hours (since the incident was resolved). So before I manually start adding transactions (which will lead to duplicate payments if IPNs get fixed) I'll wait a little longer.

@Jacob said: Go 2CO...!

2CO has a option to force failed transactions to be resubmitted, most likely paypal will not re-add them for you.

PayPal does this too :) The failed transactions need to show up first though, in order for me to resubmit them.

@jcaleb said: After 4 hours, an email was sent to me by paypal confirming the transactions. I logged in to paypal and found 3 payments made to Envato.

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/paypal-problems/86014

If you have a declined payment, please don’t try it repeatedly. PayPal may bill you multiple times.
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Can somebody please confirm that everything is now functioning normally?
    We rely on PayPal, this is frustrating, and would explain the confusion in the billing system. Only 3 invoices in the last 12 hours but still annoying!

• I just had one go through and work.

• From hosting automation time to get back to all manual :)

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited January 2013

@George_Fusioned said: ^ This. Currently the IPN history shows nothing about the transactions made during the time PayPal had system issues. So it's not possible to resubmit anything at this time yet.

I'll wait a few hours; Envato mentioned that IPN would be fixed in around 12 hours (since the incident was resolved). So before I manually start adding transactions (which will lead to duplicate payments if IPNs get fixed) I'll wait a little longer.

I've just been told that as long as you use the "Add Payment" option from the invoice in WHMCS, and add the PayPal transaction ID to the invoice, it will not be detected as a duplicate and won't be added as a credit later on.

• that is what I would gather there would be some kind of check on whmcs's part.

• @CVPS_Kevin said: I've been told that as long as you use the "Add Payment" option from the invoice in WHMCS, and add the PayPal transaction ID to the invoice, it will not be detected as a duplicate and won't be added as a credit later on.

Thanks, had some this morning which did not work. Added payment manually exactly like you describe so hopefully this won't result in duplicates.

• Thanks for the heads up! We just caught some people that paid but we didn't get notified.

• @CVPS_Kevin said: I've just been told that as long as you use the "Add Payment" option from the invoice in WHMCS, and add the PayPal transaction ID to the invoice, it will not be detected as a duplicate and won't be added as a credit later on.

This is the method we always use so we can keep track of things better and I would suggest everyone do this as well.