Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100E Reccuring payment from AwardSpace? I don't think so.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100E Reccuring payment from AwardSpace? I don't think so.

eastoncheastonch Member
edited January 2013 in General

So I wake up today,

With the most lovely e-mail from PayPal saying a 100E payment had been taken via 2CO for 'AwardSpace'. For this 'starter' VPS that bills every six months, however i never authorized recurring payments through 2CO / PayPal so how they've done that is beyond me.

I instantly thought of opening a dispute, howeveri Know that route and opted against it, their UK number just blanks out and their US number is closed until Monday morning.

I'm unsure if their 'techies' will assist me with this matter, anybody have any exeperience with these? The VM they're talking about has never even been booted up.

I'm not afraid to throw a dispute in if they can't refund me, I'd much rather go through the seller firstly.

Comments

• After further digging,

I purchased said item on the 27/7/12 however never received login details, and only just, the other day, did their 'renewal notification' come through my spam box.

There was also no notification of a automatic renewal from 2CO / PayPal, I'm rather confused to why there was a recurring payment setup through PayPal this morning however.

Which route should I take?

• It's really not something 2CO would do anything about, they can cancel the recurring subscription, but as far as getting a refund that's the merchants call.

You can open a dispute, but they would probably counter it since it's a big amount. I'd give awardspace a call and sort it with them. I've had a few card/paypal disputes in the past and won.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't know if they've changed it or if my memory fails me, but I seem to recall a recurring 2co charge that used my Paypal, never asked me to authorize the recurring portion, and didn't show up as a recurring authorization in PayPal.

Sometimes my memory makes up details though. So...possibly true story.

• @eastonch said: however never received login details, and only just, the other day, did their 'renewal notification' come through my spam box.

Check your email filter, if you find some filters from awardspace means that somebody has access to your email (?)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can't see how this is possible.

The 2checkout process goes:
    Enter your information
    Choose payment method
    Get redirected to paypal

Paypal always asks if it created a subscription. Always. You pay on paypal, ged redirected to 2checkout than to the WHMCS/billing sofrware of the provider.

If it asked you to setup a recurring payment and you still cleicked ont he pay now button - well, it is your fault for not even cancelling the services.

• @Alex_LiquidHost

On all previous 'recurring' sub's I've had a e-mail to say 'Hi, details about your recurring sub' from paypal, on this one, I never did, so I was oblivious.

There was no domain involved, I can't even seem to get into their system, as my e-mail doesnt exist?

I remember purchasing this, but I never received login details, I just forgot about it, as I thought, I'm not going to fight over something so small / £6.

I'll give them a ring, if I get no joy then I'm sure PayPal will atleast attempt to take the funds back, I don't intend on being an arsehole of a customer, however I'm not going to idley sit by and watch £88 fall out of my account.

Example of previous billing agreements,

http://gyazo.com/1d952003853de56ac3b2f0863fe4d66b
    http://gyazo.com/15e62c24187d8304084246951704e9da

I can't recall ever receiving one from AwardSpace / 2CO.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@eastonch it is physically impossible for them to have set up a paypal subscription payment for you, I have to deal with this day after day myself.

Bottom line being you are responsible for managing your own bank accounts and money, regardless of any emails, notifications, what you never noticed during check out the bottom line is that it is your account and your responsibility.

Paypal will not take the money back as it is something you have pre authorised, think of it like a standing order. If you start a depute before giving them a fair amount of time to respond the chances are they will pull the "subscription for web hosting related service not covered under paypal's buyer protection policy"

With all that said, the chances are when you explain the situation they will just refund you.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited January 2013

@AnthonySmith said: @eastonch it is physically impossible for them to have set up a paypal subscription payment for you

No, 2Co can do this - We can do it too.
    We, and 2co, and various others, can also book money from PayPal accounts without them agreeing by login.
    You have to send a lot of documents to PayPal for that, and an agreement.

Paypal will not take the money back as it is something you have pre authorised

PayPal is more than happy to refund recurring transactions, sadly.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@William I cannot see a good reason a host would want to do what you have described unless they think they have some right to impose charges on clients without them being in full agreement, its just arrogant.

@William said: PayPal is more than happy to refund recurring transactions, sadly.

Good happy to hear that, I hope if costs hosts money that do this too :)

If this is what has happened then I will flip my thoughts 180 degrees and I am stunned at this practice.

• I hope the host is happy to understand my situation and refund the cash, otherwise, the unforgiving route of Chargeback / Disputes are in place.

2CO was authorized on my account, but never for this one, and I don't have a 2CO account to even check.

• @Patrick

Can't access it, my Postal code is invalid? I've tried multiple ways.

• Same thing here, except a payment to another company. I had to cancel this billing agreement or they will be able to take money again. 2co's new system is really annoying.

• Some providers force creating a Paypal subscription for whatever reason they think that they need to control when I pay my bills, instead of me controlling when I pay my bills. I'm a big boy; I can pay my bills on time.

I always cancel a forced Paypal subscription as soon as I sign up. WHMCS then sends me invoices, which I pay.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Damian said: I always cancel a forced Paypal subscription as soon as I sign up. WHMCS then sends me invoices, which I pay.

Same here.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Damian said: I always cancel a forced Paypal subscription as soon as I sign up. WHMCS then sends me invoices, which I pay.

+1 always do that.

• @dominicl said: @Damian said: I always cancel a forced Paypal subscription as soon as I sign up. WHMCS then sends me invoices, which I pay.

I once had a company tell me after being a customer of theirs for more than a year and paying every bill on time that they were instituting subscriptions for all users because people kept forgetting to pay. They were demanding I have a subscription to continue services with them. At that point my first though was, "If they need my money that bad to stay afloat they must be having money issues and about to go out of business". I refused to pay with subscription. The only option they would give me was to add funds to my account directly previous to my billing date, I couldn't even get a bill and then pay it on the due date. I went along with this for a month. The next month, surprise, surprise, servers started going offline, and the host stopped responding to tickets (go figure right?). So, from now on, if a host tries to force me into a subscription, I let them know I will no longer be doing business with them. There is NO reason to require subscriptions, especially when I always pay my bills on time.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against them offering the ability to subscribe for people who want it, However, I like to have more control on my money and who is removing it from my account. If I wanted to make a long term commitment to begin with, I would have just purchased for a longer period at the start.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @eastonch

Open a PayPal dispute and you will be instantly refunded for money not being collected manually in 30 day time span. I had the same issue with domaintools trials where the paypal checkout showed an empty cart but with $0.99 total, appeared that it had also created a subscription. charged me bank, disputed, instant paypal refund but sadly lost €10 bank fees. mAke sure to check your subscriptions in your paypal profile.

• As I've already mentioned, i'm not the arsehole client who goes and pulls a dispute instantly, I'm not afraid to use it at my will, but I'd rather talk to the company firstly, that's, if I can get hold of them, their UK number just buzzes. Their US number seems my only option at 9GMT tomorrow morning.

If all else fails, PP is available until late :).

@Damian -- I usually do this too, but these aren't using WHMCS, they're using some weird system http://www.awardspace.com/-- I can't even login, theirs' no account under my e-mail, and there's no login details to the VM that I 'bought' ages ago.

Can't remember what got in my way to not cancel it, especially from a provider I don't know well enough. Hoping these guys will be A) Understanding, B) Not jerks and C) Polite.

So I never actually got confirmation of provisioning or even account details. Really confused, but I do remember paying the 6E in the beginning.

• eastoncheastonch Member
    edited January 2013

They seem to be very hard to get hold of,

It's monday morning for their sales team (GMT), and their still not picking up, however it did ring out a few times early in the morning (12-2) and their sales chat went up, then went down. So there's clearly some activity going on.

E-mailed support & [email protected] and left a message on LiveChat, 2CO are in the US so I can' call them for another four hours.

Update:

Called the guys this morning, they picked up, told me it was a recurring payment and that since i didnt wish to continue, a full refund would be given of the 98.94E instantly.

+1 to AwardSpace.