Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

something thats really lacking
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

something thats really lacking

skirtTightskirtTight Member
edited January 2013 in General

ipv6 only 128mb ram instances like vds6 :>

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

That's cause solusvm can not deploy ipv6 only instances. Not even sure if it is possible on openvz, without actual ipv4.

• It's not very likely it'll reduce prices by a huge margin either. Most of the high cost is a direct result of payment processor fees, e.g. Paypal.

@concerto49 said: It's not very likely it'll reduce prices by a huge margin either. Most of the high cost is a direct result of payment processor fees, e.g. Paypal.

I agree. However there are providers that pay over 1$ per IP ;)

• @concerto49 said: It's not very likely it'll reduce prices by a huge margin either. Most of the high cost is a direct result of payment processor fees, e.g. Paypal.

Exactly, many providers gain IPv4 for relatively cheap or sometimes free. May knock off $0.50

• @Alex_LiquidHost, afaik Ram is the deciding factor for VPS pricing most of the time unless you are overselling the hell out of them.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: That's cause solusvm can not deploy ipv6 only instances. Not even sure if it is possible on openvz, without actual ipv4.

Of course it's possible with just OpenVZ... have used this a few months without any issue.

You could solve the SolusVM thing with just adding internal IPv4 addresses :)

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: I agree. However there are providers that pay over 1$ per IP ;)

A LEB provider would have fun with that... :)

• @NHRoel said: Ram is the deciding factor for VPS pricing most of the time unless you are overselling the hell out of them.

Server and network cost / RAM is the pricing structure many go from I believe. As @Alex_LiquidHost said, it could knock the price down for providers who pay a bit for IPv4.

@NHRoel said: @Alex_LiquidHost, afaik Ram is the deciding factor for VPS pricing most of the time unless you are overselling the hell out of them.

Well, the last quotes I got for european IPs were for 2$ per month. That's not nothing when the whole VPS costs 4$.

Also, lets do the math. Let's asume we are running a 32GB RAM E3 node - really cheap one.
    32768 MB of RAM, devided by 128MB per machine, equals to 254 machines, each of them with 128MB of RAM (the thing that the OP asked for). Let's asume that, they get the IPs per .50 cents each. That's 120$ for IPs per month, only. And I know from a fact that more than half of the providers from here pay atleast 1$ per IP.

On the other side, this is based on ram overselling (not HDD / CPU).

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: I agree. However there are providers that pay over 1$ per IP ;)

Those guys don't do 128MB VPS I hope. They would be losing money.

@NickO said: Exactly, many providers gain IPv4 for relatively cheap or sometimes free. May knock off $0.50

Even with that - unless you have your own VLAN for your servers, not allocating the IP might just mean you have free IPs wasted on your server that you are paying for. E.g. if you got a block of 128 IPs on the server, and you're selling servers without the IPs, some IPs could be setting there without being sold = a loss.

@NickO said: A LEB provider would have fun with that... :)

I agree. Just really low profit margins.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: 254 machines

Are you seriously planning to put that many in 1 server?

@Alex_LiquidHost said: ram overselling

That is the keyword.

@NHRoel said: Are you seriously planning to put that many in 1 server?

You missed my point. Never mentioned that I have intentions to put 250 users on a single E3.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: You missed my point. Never mentioned that I have intentions to put 250 users on a single E3.

I did not. Just the calculation blew up my mind :D.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I was considering making plans with that, possibly with another control panel and the Xen storage plans IPv6 only didnt sell too well, I believe there is not much market yet for that.
    Possible uses would be VPNs and IRC, that will not need big cpu or fast storage, what else do you think will be good for ? Besides storage for our customers that already have IPv6 ?
    And also, right now, not in 1 year time...

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: That's cause solusvm can not deploy ipv6 only instances.

You can skirt around the issue by making a block of local IPs, like 10.x.x.x, and then having the node assign from the block. Since 10.x.x.x isn't internet routable, this shouldn't cause an issue, and ipv6 should still work fine.

• Wouldn't reduce prices anymore, we're not paying much for v4. People still have to account for rackspace, power, and bandwidth.

• @Jacob said: rackspace, power, and bandwidth.

You forgot salary.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

I was going to include it, but it would only be important to providers that pay per ticket.

@NHRoel said: You forgot salary.

• @Jacob said: pay per ticket.

How? You don't pay your stuff/yourself at the end of every week/month?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I was going to start an IPv6 only OpenVZ service (with IPv4 connectivity), but have put this idea on the back burner for now while we focus on other services.

If anybody is interested in working on something like this, and is very knowledgeable about IPv6 including NAT64, let me know and we might be able to work something out.

The domain I registered for this project is v6vz.com

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited January 2013

@KuJoe said: I was going to start an IPv6 only OpenVZ service (with IPv4 connectivity), but have put this idea on the back burner for now while we focus on other services.

If anybody is interested in working on something like this, and is very knowledgeable about IPv6 including NAT64, let me know and we might be able to work something out.
    The domain I registered for this project is v6vz.com

All my wants

ssh through ipv4

• I don't see how that is relevant, support techs are probably the lowest cost, and on a good day we just recieve sales, and account tickets.

@NHRoel said: How? You don't pay your stuff/yourself at the end of every week/month?

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited January 2013

@Jacob said: lowest cost

No. Unless you have some outsourced support or paying $1/ticket type of staff.

@Jacob said: that is relevant

Pricing should be based on something that is fair enough to support your business unless you are a teenager from moms bedroom playing host host game who doesn't have to hire real stuffs and pay them a decent paycheck.

• @Jacob said: I don't see how that is relevant, support techs are probably the lowest cost

They shouldn't be. Assuming a decent level of support is provided to customers and not just everything is unmanaged.

• That is your view point, everyone has their different opinions which I respect, but unless you own your own hardware then I suppose support would be your biggest overall cost.

@NHRoel said: No. Unless you have some outsourced support or paying $1/ticket type of staff.

Not sure how this is relevant, but many providers run their business from home, and even live with the parents, doesn't make them any less commited.

@NHRoel said: moms bedroom playing host host game who doesn't have to hire real stuffs and pay them a decent paycheck.

/offtopic

• @concerto49 said: unmanaged.

Is not an excuse for not providing decent support.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@NHRoel said: Is not an excuse for not providing decent support.

Because USUALLY, you do not provide support for things that are not your responsibility to begin with.

@skirtTight said: All my wants

ssh through ipv4

That is solved with the console in the control panel. It isnt so easy, ok, but you shouldnt be on SSH all the time to admin. And if you want it for something else... then maybe IPv6 is not ready for you yet :)

• @skirtTight said: ipv6 only 128mb ram instances like vds6 :>

Been, there, done that. It was a promotional offer intended to help people learn IPv6 and help them get the IPv6 certifications from he.net. Decided to stop stocking it - got too many people buying it "'cause it's cheap" and then complaining "the internet is not working".

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@skirtTight said: ipv6 only 128mb ram instances like vds6 :>

Actually, we do something similar for people who require access to both ipv4/6. It utilizes an ipv6 but with NAT you can also access ipv4 (incoming).

@Alex_LiquidHost said: That's cause solusvm can not deploy ipv6 only instances. Not even sure if it is possible on openvz, without actual ipv4.

It is possible though :P