Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Floating an idea
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Floating an idea

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited January 2013 in General

Hi Folks,

Just been doing some numbers for storage VPS's

The idea being as follows:

256MB
1 CPU Core
1 GB Disk (Raid)

€1.30 p/month
Extra disk space p/GB €0.05 p/month

Would be Xen based so you know your getting the disk space you pay for.

thoughts?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Liam very good point :)

Unmetered inbound, 600 GB outbound.

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited January 2013

Not a bad idea, but you'd have to compete with this
    OVZ, KVM
    256MB RAM
    300GB HDD
    Gbit port
    Unmetered inbound, 1TB outbound.

which is what I sell for $7/mo. But it's not a bad idea though. Good luck.

• @Jack said: I'm sure people would choose Anthony over you :)

Cool, they can do that if they want. I don't advertise the plan here anyways.

@Liam It would be EU (NL/UK) and USA

@curtisg if your overselling disk space than I am sure that is easy to achieve, happy to publicly do the maths if you want to let me know the node specs you offer that on.

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited January 2013

@AnthonySmith said: if your overselling disk space than I am sure that is easy to achieve, happy to publicly do the maths if you want to let me know the node specs you offer that on.

Actually, not oversold. E3-1240V2 w/ 120GB SDD + 2x 1TB hdd w/ 32gb ram. However, I do have very limited stock on it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Would the tos/aup be the same as a 'regular' vps or will it be limited in what would be accepted to run on a 'storage' vps?

so even if none raid lets say you have 1800 GB to sell as storage and it probably is not that much.

1800 / 300 = 6

6 * $7 = $42

$42 probably only just covers colo if that and your ROI on a purchased server would be 15 years, if it is leased them tell me where I can get that for less than $42 pl0x :)

@MikHo I would write a section for them, but bottom line would be legal is fine, no tor or prublic proxy.

• @Jack said: $140-160

Not that expensive man, plus I am waiting for servers to be shipped anyways, as they've been on route for a few days.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@Jack don't forget the shit.

IPXCore seem to have some storage plans which are fairly priced but low in bandwidth but the HDD space works out cheaper ($0.50 per 10GB - not sure which virtualization)

@Patrick indeed with the USD - EUR conversion that is a better price, I have been looking at this as raid 10 but now I think about it raid 5 makes far more sense so I could in theory drop that to about €0.03 p/GB and also with no minimum or requirement to buy in blocks of xx GB.

• @Jack said: I smell bull.

Don't smell to bad over here

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@curtisg said: I am waiting for servers to be shipped anyways, as they've been on route for a few days.

@curtisg Shipping? That looks like ColoCrossing when you rent a server.

I think you mean waiting for it to be setup since you don't physically own it.

@AnthonySmith said: @Patrick indeed with the USD - EUR conversion that is a better price, I have been looking at this as raid 10 but now I think about it raid 5 makes far more sense so I could in theory drop that to about €0.03 p/GB and also with no minimum or requirement to buy in blocks of xx GB.

Yeah that would work, would be much more competitive as it's around $20 for 500gb which is fair with some redundancy raid

• @Patrick said: ColoCrossing

yep. Shipping was free. They didn't have stock so they had to ship one.

@curtisg I still don't see how that is costing you less than $42 p/month.

• @AnthonySmith said: 42 p/month

never said it was.

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited January 2013

@Jack said: I shipped it too yea.. Bull

Never said I shipped it, they shipped it. I said "I am waiting for servers to be shipped anyways, as they've been on route for a few days." provider expects them to be there tuesday by end of day.

@curtisg said: never said it was.

By offering 300GB for $7 and also saying it is not oversold you absolutely did say it was, but feel free to tell me why I am wrong,.. you never know I could be missing something obvious.

• First we have no stock, we plan to sell 2 at a time, yes I'm aware what you guys think, but I make money from other products so I have enough to do it. Now can we get back on topic? If u have more questions for me then pm me, be happy to answer.

@curtisg pretty sure this is all on topic, I was floating an idea, you said I had to compare it to yours, so we started down that path.

So either your making a loss or you are overselling and lets be honest, no one gives money away and you seem to not want to justify it.

If your justification is that you only sell 600GB worth per node i.e. 2 plans I would bring up 2 points, why are you using no raid on VPS nodes, and why would I need to compare anything if you can only offer nodes*2 ?

• @curtisg said: Now can we get back on topic?

You're the one who hijacks the thread to promote your own loss-generating storage VPSes.

@Jack said: RAID1 is still meh for VPS's.

I highly doubt even raid 1 because with 2 x 1TB in raid 1 600GB would take about 60 - 70% of the whole array.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said: By offering 300GB for $7 and also saying it is not oversold you absolutely did say it was, but feel free to tell me why I am wrong,.. you never know I could be missing something obvious.

Possible on theory, large arrays from 4TB HDDs in RAID6 for example. Could be doable.

Just not on his server.

• @curtisg said: First we have no stock, we plan to sell 2 at a time, yes I'm aware what you guys think, but I make money from other products so I have enough to do it. Now can we get back on topic? If u have more questions for me then pm me, be happy to answer.

Seeing your previous posts on the LET community.. no one in their right mind would buy from you..

• I have one of the storage VPSes from @curtisg and it's been working great for me. I have had no downtime and the speeds have always been awesome. It's a secondary backup location for me so I could care less if it had RAID or not (I have no idea if it does).

I'm just saying I have gotten great service from him and wouldn't hesitate to try other services should I need them.

@revnja I am not bringing in to question the service quality in fact I think a number of people are perhaps a little unfair on him generally.

I am questioning only the economics and validity of the offer in direct response to the statement "Not a bad idea, but you'd have to compete with this" from him.

The bottom line is if he can offer this at that price he is doing something very right or very wrong, if it is right then I will take 6 please :)

• @David_P said: no one in their right mind would buy from you

You would be surprised to know that a lot of people falls for the price and after couple of days, new wht thread "HOST X IS SCAM, STOLE MY MONEY, Blah blah, bah hum bug."

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited January 2013

@AnthonySmith said: I will take 6 please :)

you're more then welcome to.

• @curtisg said: welcome

Why thank you.

Doesn't mean anything when you quote part of a post.

You said you would only sell 2 and they're not in stock at the moment. I'm so confused right now.

Nice one can I combine them in to 600 GB plans? saves on IP's