Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD concurrent writes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD concurrent writes?

bobinfobobinfo Member
edited November 2011 in General

Hey!

I see some providers start offering VPS based on SSD. Why would it be better than a non oversold SAS/RAID 10 VPS?

How do SSD react to concurrent writes? Way better than a mecanical drive? (i.e if 10 writes at the same time, will the write speed be divided by 10 in some cases and by only (hypothetical) two in SSD case?)

From my understanding, on server grade (SLC) disks, write speed is not that good (still better than most sata though) BUT gives you high IOPs - how will this high IOPS makes something better in real life examples?

Thanks!

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@bobinfo said: I see some providers start offering VPS based on SSD. Why would it be better than a non oversold SAS/RAID 10 VPS?

As far ask I know SAS still has the edge over SSDs.

• @bobinfo said: how will this high IOPS makes something better in real life examples?

Sometimes you get lots of speed, but your commands and your terminal feels sluggish. So, your sites will feel like that if they use lots of files

• @Infinity said: As far ask I know SAS still has the edge over SSDs.

On capacity and price, yes.

• @Infinity said: As far ask I know SAS still has the edge over SSDs.

Yep but I see more and more offer with SSD drives... (Hope it's not consummer grade MLC SSD though :D)

@yomero said: Sometimes you get lots of speed, but your commands and your terminal feels sluggish. So, your sites will feel like that if they use lots of files

Ok, so it will be better for small files, but for big writes it won't change anything, or will even be worse (as a good SATA or SSD drive will be faster bandwidth wise, even in the case of multiple big writes). Right?

• RensRens Member
    edited November 2011

A RAID 10 config could be faster in terms of MB/s, but 2 SSD's in RAID 1 will feel a lot faster. Many people still focus on the MB/s while IOPS are much more important. We use best of both worlds (SSD as cache for most used files).

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@bobinfo said: Yep but I see more and more offer with SSD drives... (Hope it's not consummer grade MLC SSD though :D)

Maybe because of the SAS drive shortage?