Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Burning Board" by Woltlab - Any experiences?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Burning Board" by Woltlab - Any experiences?

AmitzAmitz Member
edited February 2016 in General

Dear all,

I just stumbled across the forum software "Burning Board" by Woltlab. It's seems to be quite mature and I have not found any bigger vulnerabilities since 2009 if I interpret the results here right.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with that forum software? How good/bad is it?
Thank you in advance for any insight!

Kind regards
-Amitz

Comments

• @Amitz said:
    Thank you in advance for any insight!

Kind regards
    -Amitz

Nice way of asking questions, really. Should learn from you :D

Thanked by 1GCat
  • Friendly people have more sex. Follow my path and the world will be your playground. ;)

• The free version is fairly limited. I used it for one of my forum startups, works well and the users liked it while the board was in operation.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • LeeLee Veteran

Amitz said: Friendly people have more sex

How is that working out for you?

• @Amitz said:
    Friendly people have more sex. Follow my path and the world will be your playground. ;)

Am I not friendly enough? (lol)

• @lazyt said:
    The free version is fairly limited. I used it for one of my forum startups, works well and the users liked it while the board was in operation.

Thank you! I wonder why it is not more widespread. It cannot be the price, other solutions are way more expensive...

@Lee said:
    How is that working out for you?

Well, to be honest: Not too good. But I won't give up believing!

@theroyalstudent said:
    Am I not friendly enough? (lol)

How's your sex life? ;)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @Amitz said:
    How's your sex life? ;)

Not legal for me yet. (see my site for age lmao)

• Then you do not have to be friendly at all. But it's nice of you nevertheless.
    Okay, enough with the Sex. We have minors here. Back on topic. ;)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @Amitz said:
    Then you do not have to be friendly at all. But it's nice of you nevertheless.
    Okay, enough with the Sex. We have minors here. Back on topic. ;)

Uhhh @HOSTBD24 here's some sex (you guys are minors too right?)!

• theroyalstudent said: Uhhh @HOSTBD24 here's some sex (you guys are minors too right?)!

Stop it or no milk before sleep today.

• @Amitz said:
    Friendly people have more sex. Follow my path and the world will be your playground. ;)

Wait, so you mean the world is getting fucked over by you? ;)

• @theroyalstudent I am married and ...
    @Amitz my life is fine with everything .. :)

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

theroyalstudent said: Wait, so you mean the world is getting fucked over by you? ;)

Stop derailing or I cry until a moderator comes along! ;)
    Let's take this to the Cest Pit.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • HOSTBD24HOSTBD24 Member
    edited February 2016

Amitz said: Stop it or no milk before sleep today.

Ha Ha, but it's not going to be applied to me ...

• @Amitz said:
    Stop derailing or I cry until a moderator comes along! ;)

said the super moderator :D okay I'll stop derailing. but I suggest you use vanilla for forum :)

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited February 2016

lol @ woltlab.com, it's been stuck with a 403 since @Amitz posted the link.

[edit: grammar fix, ffs.]

• @k0nsl said:
    lol @ wotlab.com, it's been stuck with a 403 since Amitz posted the link.

ddosgonereal

Thanked by 1D3vil
  • @theroyalstudent said:
    said the super moderator :D okay I'll stop derailing. but I suggest you use vanilla for forum :)

Don't do that, Vanilla is crap.

I personally don't like Burning Board, especially because they raised their prices by 100% some time ago and now aren't that much cheaper compared to better solutions.

If I'd open a new board, I would either choose xenforo or IP.Board.
    Both are very good security-wise (xenforo doesn't even have a page on cvedetails) and feature-wise and come with a good community and with good addon-support.

• k0nsl said: lol @ woltlab.com, it's been stuck with a 403 since @Amitz posted the link.

Works here

• @k0nsl said:
    lol @ woltlab.com, it's been stuck with a 403 since Amitz posted the link.

It's working fine here?

• Amitz said: It's working fine here?

For me too :)

• Weird. I tried cleaning my cache and it still returns a 403. But if I run curl -I https://www.woltlab.com/ on a VPS it returns a 200.

Oh well.

• lazytlazyt Member
    edited February 2016

Wow they have raised the price! Still fairly cheap compared to some others. I really don't like IP Board.

Edit when I was using BB it was more commonly used in Germany than here in the USA. I was back in the 3 series so I don't know what changes have been made since.

• Whatever you use, I wouldn't make it Vanilla. @jarland and other staff don't seem to have much luck as far as development/changes go.

• I don't like IP.Board too. It's what they run over there at vpsboard.com, right? Nothing at all against the forum itself, but that software is not my cup of tea.

So xenforo (which I generally like, but it is more expensive) or Burning Board. Mmmh.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

@Amitz said:
    I don't like IP.Board too. It's what they run over there at vpsboard.com, right? Nothing at all against the forum itself, but that software is not my cup of tea.

So xenforo (which I generally like, but it is more expensive) or Burning Board. Mmmh.

@dailymc said:
    Whatever you use, I wouldn't make it Vanilla. jarland and other staff don't seem to have much luck as far as development/changes go.

I like Vanilla from a user perspective. But now, since jarland openend the backend to me... I have never seen such a shitty piece of software before. The backend is horrible for moderation and administration!

Thanked by 1vedran
  • I've had a trial and it is hands-down the thing I would go to in case I need a forum anywhere. I'm going to switch to that from IPB for a forum I run as soon as the new version is out.

@Amitz said:
    I like Vanilla from a user perspective. But now, since jarland openend the backend to me... I have never seen such a shitty piece of software before. The backend is horrible for moderation and administration!

That's exactly the reason I would use WBB. It's simple yet has a proper feature set. It's not expensive, it doesn't require you to keep paying for updates (like IPB), and it's partially open source.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Burning Board? Chopping Board!

• I had a chance to be an administrator on one of those (a few years ago) and I was quite happy with it, especially the administrator/moderator part. It was quite active and a large userbase (over 100k users) and performance was not bad either. But as far as I remember it had a lot of custom plugins.

Anything is better than Vanilla ...

Thanked by 2Amitz mpkossen
  • Thanks, guys! As said - Vanilla is out of question!
    Someone on IRC brought discourse http://www.discourse.org/ into the game. Different approach, quite "2.0"... Experiences?

Thanked by 1mpkossen