Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wholesalecrap treating customers like chickenshit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wholesalecrap treating customers like chickenshit

stallionstallion Member
edited February 2016 in Reviews

I am a customer of wholesalecrap for about six months now. On Thursday I ordered a new server and the IPv4s provided with it were all listed on baracuda. Which I reported immediately but they failed to do anything about it. On friday I got notification from lfd that spam was being sent from one of the cpanel clients accounts and I suspended the account quickly because I actively monitor the server. Many hours after that I received abuse complaint regarding the same account I had suspended. So that account wasn't active at the time the abuse complaint was forwarded to me. I replied the ticket within working hours. But there was no response from the abuse department and my server was unplugged. Now the support department is telling me that the abuse department only works during weekdays and only they can do anything about my server so nothing can be done before monday. When I was allotted this IPv4 it was listed on one blocklist and due to some spamming from one customer now it is listed on three blocklists in total which of course can be removed easily and they unplugged my server for this.
Upon my request for a cancellation and refund they told me that we don't do refunds and they pointed me to their TOS document. Basically they told me to fuck off. Now I am thinking if I had paid a little extra dollars and purchased from a decent company I wouldn't have to go through all this crap. Lesson learned the hard way.

Comments

• That's really absurd.

stallion said: Many hours after that I received abuse complaint regarding the same account I had suspended.

So that account wasn't active at the time the abuse complaint was forwarded to me. I replied the ticket within working hours. But there was no response from the abuse department and my server was unplugged.

Now the support department is telling me that the abuse department only works during weekdays and only they can do anything about my server so nothing can be done before monday.

Thanked by 1stallion
  • stallion said: Now the support department is telling me that the abuse department only works during weekdays and only they can do anything about my server so nothing can be done before monday.

Wow that's weak by industry standards. Sales closed during the weekend, sure I can understand that, and billing on limited hours, sure.. but abuse is 24/7

Thanked by 2stallion bitsback
  • CentrioHostCentrioHost Member
    edited February 2016

Are you using dedicated server or vps? For Dedicated servers generally providers null route the IP.

• dedicated

• @stallion said:
    dedicated

Wholesaleinternet.com?

• Yes

• Pay chickenshit, get chickenshit.

I wouldn't use them for anything remotely production, but great for testing and development stuff.

• cheap means SHITS

• So lets review this, you get the server on Thursday and by Friday you have a customer sending out spam... I think I might toss you out too!

Thanked by 3jvnadr ATHK BensDaMan
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@JoeMerit said:
    So lets review this, you get the server on Thursday and by Friday you have a customer sending out spam... I think I might toss you out too!

Good point here.

Although, pulling the plug on Friday and going off for the weekend is a pretty weak move on WSI's side.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @JoeMerit said:
    So lets review this, you get the server on Thursday and by Friday you have a customer sending out spam... I think I might toss you out too!

Did I mention in my opening post that I have been a customer there for over six months? I am not somebody who signs up for servers just to send spam and WSI should have known that. It is not unusual for an IP to get listed on a blacklist when you have hundreds of accounts on a server. It happens. Outdated wordpress scripts/plugins/themes are vulnerable and sometime spam gets through even when clients don't intentionally do it but that doesn't happen everyday. I actively monitor my server and when my IP gets listed on a blacklist it is a problem for me too and I try to get it delisted. But WSI don't give a shit. They pulled the plug and went on picnic.

• Sounds like they're not worth to host anything customer-active services there(like hosting or email).

The only thing they're good for then is testing, development, only personal use and backups.

stallion said: But WSI don't give a shit. They pulled the plug and went on picnic.

• So, you ordered the server on Thursday and in just some hours from then, you put the server on real production environment getting clients there, even if you saw that the ip of the server was blacklisted. You did not test the server, the stability, the network etc. and you put it immediately in production selling hosting to customers. And, lo and behold, the server started to send spam (by your client, of course).
    Not to mention that we all know wholesalesinternet offers cheap servers that, IMHO, they are not exactly capable for be used in the hosting industry (selling vps or shared hosting), because they are preconfigured without upgrade option, they don't have any remote control option (e.g. ipmi) and they are sooo cheap, that it is natural any kind of troubleshoot response can take much more longer than servers cost 200-300$ per month.
    And after all that, YOU call them wholesalecrap... maybe you should consider if what you are offering to customers is crap, just because what you chose to be your infrastructure... Don't buy a 50cc motorcycle for travel 10.000 km, because it will brake. Don't try to buy petrol for your heat machine by carrying it via plastic bags. They will melt and it is your fault.

Jazzy8999 said: cheap means SHITS

No. Cheap means cheap. It all depent on the usage and the expectations on what you are buying. I have 2 servers from WSI knowing pretty well what I am dealing with it. They are in prosuction state for non-critical web sites, I have always a replicated versions of the sites in a vps for immediate use and I do have twice a day proper backups in case of everything happens. And for all that, I am doing my job paying peanuts compared to an expensive dedicated server and I am doing my job.
    But I do not use them to setup a shared hosting environment to sell it to third-party customers, because those servers are just not for that task.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

stallion said: Wholesalecrap treating customers like chickenshit

I hate these sugarcoated reviews.

• @CentrioHost said:

.net ;) unless it's another provider

• That's odd, they've always been accommodating when I receive abuse reports, even over the weekend. I never had a server unplugged due to the abuse department not being available.

• @Eobble said:
    That's odd, they've always been accommodating when I receive abuse reports, even over the weekend. I never had a server unplugged due to the abuse department not being available.

Likewise :)

• AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

@Eobble said:
    That's odd, they've always been accommodating when I receive abuse reports, even over the weekend. I never had a server unplugged due to the abuse department not being available.
    @inthecloudblog said:
    Likewise :)

The system is automated so upon a incident the report is forwarded to the customer and they are given 2 days to respond. If there's no response then the server's port is deactivated by the abuse system. If there is a response then the system holds the incident open until a real person can review it.

If the server was disconnected right away then you're abuse was extreme. You may have triggered an SBL, you might have been pushing an active attack... something that required the system to shut you down immediately, more than one spam report.

If you'd like to send me your ticket number or client ID I'd be happy to check it out.

• @AaronW your stuff is very polite and I really like the service you provide.
    I'd make more fraud records specially in customers who target the cheapo c2d but that's just personal opinion.

• The question I'd like answered is how they managed to start sending out spam that quickly.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • @Rallias said:
    The question I'd like answered is how they managed to start sending out spam that quickly.

I transferred the cPanel accounts from another server. That one account was among the many others and was suspended on the other server but when you transfer using 'transfer tool' the suspended accounts become unsuspended. But it was only for a short time.

@Rallias said:
    The question I'd like answered is how they managed to start sending out spam that quickly.

We have had spam reports start coming in from new servers within 8 minutes of the welcome email going out. You'd be amazed how resourceful these guys can be. :)

Thanked by 1BensDaMan

@inthecloudblog said:
    AaronW your stuff is very polite and I really like the service you provide.
    I'd make more fraud records specially in customers who target the cheapo c2d but that's just personal opinion.

We have a system going live this week that will automatically file a fraudrecord report on customers that are terminated for abuse and who do chargebacks/paypal disputes.

Since I don't know who the OP is I can't speak to his issue directly but I have sent it over to the abuse department to get further clarification.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • wsi is awesome. their support and prices are truly amazing.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • AaronW said: We have a system going live this week that will automatically file a fraudrecord report on customers that are terminated for abuse and who do chargebacks/paypal disputes.

Err... do you mean "unreasonable" chargebacks/paypal disputes? I appreciate that hosts can run on fine margins, but there's a difference between frivolous chargebacks and customers that are truly aggrieved.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@CentrioHost said:
    Are you using dedicated server or vps? For Dedicated servers generally providers null route the IP.

Maybe a $2 ssl will help

• After Autoboot we have the nextgen tool : AutoFraudReport

How to report provider who can delivered what they promised? Don't care about their client dying, some host who love to take holiday. That fraud report only care about host who pay/use their service they didn't care about user (they just take what hoster said).

Gimme a month I'll create the next GVH/ChairHosting/goodhosting/tablehosting/floorhosting and other punny host, then use AutoFraudReport technology to report anyone who purchase hosting. So they will never ever able to purchase hosting ever and ever again. Lol

Thanked by 3GM2015 ricardo geekalot
  • AaronW said: We have had spam reports start coming in from new servers within 8 minutes of the welcome email going out. You'd be amazed how resourceful these guys can be. :)

Yeah, but to do it that quickly needs malice.