Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MariaDB vs. MySQL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MariaDB vs. MySQL

ftnftn Member
edited February 2016 in Help

MariaDB or, MySQL, which one you prefer for your server? Why?

MariaDB or, MySQL, which one you prefer for your server? Why?
  1. MariaDB or, MySQL, which one you prefer for your server? Why?85 votes
    1. MySQL
      20.00%
    2. MariaDB
      80.00%

Comments

• mariodb

• @pandabb said:
    mariodb

Itsa me... mario

• FVPSFVPS Member
    edited February 2016

You know there is a saying "Actions speak louder than words". Big players like Red Hat, Debian and et cetera have replaced MySQL with MariaDB. That's something big already for MariaDB. It's a good sign for MariaDB and a bad sign for MySQL. There are reasons for the quick replacement.

A few links:

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-vs-mysql-features/

https://seravo.fi/2015/10-reasons-to-migrate-to-mariadb-if-still-using-mysql

http://insights.dice.com/2013/05/22/mariadb-vs-mysql-a-comparison-2/

Moreover Oracle just sucks.

• JoePieSQL

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edited February 2016

NoSQL

Don't ask why. Cause I don't use it :D

• @theroyalstudent said:
    NoSQL

Don't ask why. Cause I don't use it :D

What is real and what is not ?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Percona

• Jazzy8999Jazzy8999 Member
    edited February 2016

YourSQL

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

FVPS said: A few links:

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-vs-mysql-features/
    https://seravo.fi/2015/10-reasons-to-migrate-to-mariadb-if-still-using-mysql
    http://insights.dice.com/2013/05/22/mariadb-vs-mysql-a-comparison-2/

Your links convinced me there's no significant different between MySQL and MariaDB.

I mean, look at the arguments:

• "Oracle stewardship is uncertain"
    • "MariaDB has leapt in popularity"
    • "Migration may become more difficult" (er, what?)
    • "Compatible" (great, but that' doesn't mean better)
    • "So again, interesting feature—but not a feature that should convince you to abandon MySQL for MariaDB."
    • "Bugs are bad. Fix as many bugs as possible and try to not introduce new ones." Gee, that IS a new idea...

FVPS said: Moreover Oracle just sucks.

This is true (I deal with them every day) but they've sure made MySQL better. MySQL was pretty junky before Oracle bought it - now I almost have respect for it.

Everything I have ever heard about Maria is "OMG Oracle is bad!" yet here we are six years later and MySQL is still free and is way better than it was when Oracle bought Sun. There are more people working on MySQL than at any other point in history. I've been to OpenWorld the last few years and attended the State of the Dolphin every time, and in those presentations the MySQL devs are talking about new features, not how they can charge.

I use MariaDB as well, mainly because it ships with CentOS 7, and it is certainly a fine product. But the reason you switch to Maria is because you're mad/irrational/nervous at Oracle or want to wave your FOSS banner, not because of technical reasons.

• I switched to MariaDB because it looks like more distros are starting to ship just with Mariadb by default...Debian 8's release notes also started that they are only including one in the next release and I imagine that will be Mariadb.

• FVPSFVPS Member
    edited February 2016

Hello @raindog308

Performance

I only posted a few links here before. However I went on further with the research on MariaDB vs MySQL for some aspects like performance and et cetera. Several benchmarks indicate that MariaDB performs better than MySQL in some aspects/situations. [1][2][3][4] I personally don't have the resources for proper benchmarking and testing. Only a few LEB - mid sized VPS. It has been always working good. Can't say MySQL has been working bad either.

Compatibility

From https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/ it looks like MariaDB is actually good for a MySQL replacement if you need something compatible to MySQL. Sure it has some flaws as you can read in the article but they partially provide workarounds. Some missing functions are available in other versions (mostly newer). You are right about

great, but that doesn't mean better

because it has upsides and downsides but overall the compatibility that MariaDB brought up is good.

Sometimes I'd rather want MySQL than MariaDB at this level (or atleast a older version of MariaDB where it works). Have had some applications and decided to switch to a more modern webstack. Got MariaDB 10 as the DB server. Set everything up. The applications have been working at about 50% successfully. The rest... well, eh not so great. Article editing didn't work for some reason and it totally locked up. Most of the ACP functions were totally broken. On a server with MariaDB 5.5 it worked. Installed MySQL from different sources later.

Oracle & Licensing

It's uncertain what Oracle is going to do with MySQL. I've been reading a lot about them changing their license model and therefore MySQL not being freely available anymore. I think (I can't find the article) that even for this reason some big players who shipped MySQL have swapped it out in favor of MariaDB. I'm recalling this from far in my brain. Might be wrong but I really think I've read this somwhere.

Features

From their feature list at https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-vs-mysql-features/ they've a lot of new stuff. Have to agree with your comment about features not being that important to leave MySQL. Some of the features are not really worth it. Others are however pretty interesting and contribute to the performance improvement if you believe their description. More storage engines aren't bad, are they? MySQL doesn't have that many! I guess some MariaDB storage engine will have their uses for people who need it.

Anyway. I'm not looking forward to have a fight here over that. Just looking forward and all I see is how a lot of people change from MySQL to MariaDB or use NoSQL database servers. CentOS 7 MariaDB, Debian 8 MariaDB, Arch Linux MariaDB and I don't know what else already changed to MariaDB being the replacement for MySQL but I guess a lot of other distributions, too.

Just saying that somehow everyone is starting to move to replacements or totally different solutions.

bad sign for MySQL

(from my post before)

MySQL still got the game though. It's not like it would disappear.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • BlackHippyBlackHippy Member
    edited February 2016

I useMariaDB because why not :D they both use pretty much the same commands, so there is no learning curve if you want to give MariaDB a try.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

FVPS said: It's uncertain what Oracle is going to do with MySQL.

By that token, it's unsure what the MariaDB community is going to do with MariaDB.

FVPS said: I've been reading a lot about them changing their license model and therefore MySQL not being freely available anymore.

I've been reading that Vladimir Putin hunts bears naked, but that doesn't mean it's true.

From everything I've heard from Oracle, they have zero interest in closing MySQL. It's a different ecosystem/community than the Oracle RDBMS. They'll continue to pump out Enterprise features that will be commercial but it's in their best interest to keep the core RDBMS free. Just as they did with InnoDB.

FVPS said: More storage engins isn't bad, is it?

When it's crap like 'atomic commits' then yes it is :-)

FVPS said: Anyway. I'm not looking forward to have a fight here over that.

Yeah, me neither - I just get tired of the MariaDB scare-mongering. Personally I'd be happy if the entire MySQL/MariaDB/Drizzle/blah world went away and people went with a proper RDBMS like PostGres :-)

• I prefer Postgres, but when running stuff that requires Mysql, might as well use Mysql. I guess it's not a big deal if you prefer to use MariaDB, but I can't see any good reason to switch.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

but Putin DID ride a bear half naked, I have a statue of him doing it! hahahahaha

Thanked by 2GM2015 raindog308
  • y mariadb? I personally prefer Mariah Carey :D

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Probably MariaDB for another couple of years until the Oracle fearmongering dies out completely.

But would always choose SQLite if I can get away with it.