Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing Plex in OpenVZ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Installing Plex in OpenVZ?

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi folks,

Since the default Plex install runs locally only and I read you need to signup to Plex free account and connect it to be able to listen it externally, how can I, without using a VPN, connect to Plex externally, somehow, to enable it to listen in the public IP?

How have you guys done it?

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
  • I signed up, and then spun up my server on a KVM. Works lovely over wan.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Mun said:
    I signed up, and then spun up my server on a KVM. Works lovely over wan.

Hmhm, will try!

• Install a gui and connect to it via rdp, then browse to 127.0.0.1:32400/web

apt-get install xfce4 iceweasel xrdp

Thanked by 1MikePT

@tr1cky said:
    Install a gui and connect to it via rdp, then browse to 127.0.0.1:32400/web

apt-get install xfce4 iceweasel xrdp

Yeah will do that, thanks!:)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited February 2016

Just browsing to IP:32400/web after install should be enough, then login with your plex account through the web interface. This will add the server to your plex account and you can access it from any of your devices though plex and logging in.

I've been paying for PlexPass for the last 3 years. Very much worth it, can watch my media from anywhere on any of my devices.

Thanked by 1netomx

@trewq said:
    Just browsing to IP:32400/web after install should be enough, then login with your plex account through the web interface. This will add the server to your plex account and you can access it from any of your devices though plex and logging in.

I've been paying for PlexPass for the last 3 years. Very much worth it, can watch my media from anywhere on any of my devices.

Will check PlexPass, thank you for your help!:)

• I was disappointed when I found out a plex pass was required to connect my smart-tv to my plex media server, but it was well worth it in the end.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @MrGeneral, sorry I misunderstood your question. I use tunnels via putty to connect to it one time and authenticate. Once that is done, it works without issue and you can configure the rest of the setting without the tunnel.

• joereid said: I was disappointed when I found out a plex pass was required to connect my smart-tv to my plex media server, but it was well worth it in the end.

Hmmm, the vast majority of Smart TV apps don't need the plex pass - are you sure you didn't confuse it with needing an account?

Thanked by 1tehdan
  • @joereid said:
    I was disappointed when I found out a plex pass was required to connect my smart-tv to my plex media server, but it was well worth it in the end.

Really? My friend has a LG smart tv and he does not have Plex pass. Looking at the Plex pass features, none of the things look very important to have for basic usage.

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited February 2016

@trewq said:
    Just browsing to IP:32400/web after install should be enough

It only runs on localhost by default, so you need to proxy through. Just need to do it the first time, if you link it with Plex.tv account (even free account) it'll allow you to manage & access it.

ssh -L 32400:localhost:32400 user@host

Then just pop open localhost:32400/web in your browser and you're in.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Mun said:
    MrGeneral, sorry I misunderstood your question. I use tunnels via putty to connect to it one time and authenticate. Once that is done, it works without issue and you can configure the rest of the setting without the tunnel.

No problem @Mun and thank you for your help, that's what I'll be doing, since installing a desktop would be a waste of resources for such simple operation.

Thank you! :-)

• @drazilox said:
    Really? My friend has a LG smart tv and he does not have Plex pass. Looking at the Plex pass features, none of the things look very important to have for basic usage.

Nope, I had an account already, but I couldn't connect my TV until I upgraded. They probably changed the rules since then. This was last summer.

@mikeyur said:
    Then just pop open localhost:32400/web in your browser and you're in.

Yep, that's what I need.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

trewq said: I've been paying for PlexPass for the last 3 years.

I payed lifetime because the software deserves the money

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@netomx said:
    I payed lifetime because the software deserves the money

I wish I had when I first bought it. My renewal is coming up, might switch to lifetime.

mikeyur said: It only runs on localhost by default

Really? I've installed it many times and it's always been accessible from another location.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • The few installs I've done all require the SSH tunnel

Used an SSH tunnel so it worked :D

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Emby is a good alternative In my opinion and can be configured to require login without using their connect service.

• How is emby vs plex these days

• @ALinuxNinja said:
    How is emby vs plex these days

Haven't used plex in a while so not sure, Emby has apps for most major platforms but plex has better smartTV support.

I quite like using Emby with the Kodi plugin but it's essentially down to which one you prefer and which one works best with your devices.