Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS For Shoutcast Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS For Shoutcast Hosting

ttjjttjj Member
edited February 2016 in Requests

Hi all,

Looking to move to a more permanent VPS.

Specs I'm looking at:

Ideal Host: A company thats been established for 3years+ preferably thats reliable

Server Location: Somewhere that has reasonable ping to Oceania (Australia/New Zealand)
(Anything below 300ms I'd be happy with.. Seattle, hong kong etc.)

VPS Type: KVM (I seem to have had trouble with OpenVZ previously with shoutcast over using resources)

CPU: Not sure, Current VPS has 2cores. Link below to to a picture showing resource usage.

Memory: Minimum 1GB (Fully allocated)

Diskspace: Minimum 25GB (Can be SAS, SATA, SSD whatever)

Network: 1 IPV4 address. 100mbit is fine for port speed.

Budget: I'm wanting something annually so I can pay, setup my services and forget about it.. So being confident my services will be running without watching them and the company I'm with don't go broke anytime soon is a must.
Around $50USD Yearly (Happy to negotiate for the right provider)

What the VPS is being used for:
The VPS will host a Shoutcast Radio Server instance and 2x AutoDJ instances.

As a bit of an idea, This is how much resources it currently uses (Using "top"):
http://s11.postimg.org/i8s796dwj/root_top.jpg

Let me know if you need further information.

Looking forward to hearing some responses!

Thanks

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 2016

Count me in, not sure but most VPS providers have serious cpu limits which gets you autobanned / suspended very fast. Subscribing to thread.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited February 2016

Leaseweb has this in SG(singapore)▼ but if your gonna get that get it from @ru_tld you can have platinum support package from leaseweb for free they are a large firm they are not going to disappear in a day

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • I would not recommend leaseweb but if you do bear in mind to read the tos carefully

I just paid again because i didn't cancel on the 1st day of the month, and consider the bandwidth usage or you will face draconian charges

• How many people are on your stream? I've managed to run Shoutcast previously with no issues on a 128-256mb Non-KVM VM from Ramnode and OVH but it's probably because you're using Ubuntu rather than CentOS but I'd go for Ramnodes Seattle if I was you.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited February 2016

@ttjj just remembered the VULTR they have Australian(Sydney) location go with they are great it will perfect for you requirement

Edit: https://www.vultr.com/locations/

Speedtest https://www.vultr.com/faq/#downloadspeedtests

• @HyperSpeed said:
    How many people are on your stream? I've managed to run Shoutcast previously with no issues on a 128-256mb Non-KVM VM from Ramnode and OVH but it's probably because you're using Ubuntu rather than CentOS but I'd go for Ramnodes Seattle if I was you.

At the moment very little, Listener base is <100 but as it grows will exceed that.

Have used Ramnode previously on a 128mb VPS and did not work too well... It did function fine for about a year but issues did prop up and I found there support team to be incredibly rude, not to mention my node had restarts becoming a regular occurrence almost every two weeks. Up to that point they were quite good.

I'd rather look at another provider for now, Thanks for the suggestion though.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 2016

@ttjj said:
    I'd rather look at another provider for now, Thanks for the suggestion though.

@Nick_A

—————

Have been a client for years and never had a single issue with both VPS and their support. RamNode is an outstanding provider, among the best as proven by the late poll.

• @MrGeneral said:
    Have been a client for years and never had a single issue with both VPS and their support. RamNode is an outstanding provider, among the best as proven by the late poll.

I don't doubt you've had good success with Ramnode but as far as my opinion stands with them I'd prefer to go with another provider.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Oliver from RansomIT for Sydney.

I wouldn't touch Vultr over here unless they've fixed their shitty network..

• For my shoutcast I use leaseweb (sg location) cheap and fast never make me down

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

ttjj said: support team to be incredibly rude

Would you mind providing a ticket ID or account email via PM perhaps? That's pretty surprising. I'd like to see what all was going on.

• What's wrong with using OVH?

• Maybe a Scaleway server?

• @EkaatyLinux said:
    Maybe a Scaleway server?

Guys you have never read the Op's requirement no problem help your self's

http://www.text2speech.org/FW/getfile.php?file=dacb9e48dd507ec329cc815f5675d404/speech.mp3

@LowEndAddiction said:
    What's wrong with using OVH?

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @simonindia said:

What's wrong with using OVH?

"Anything lower than 300ms I would be happy with". 8194 miles from France to Australia and 11930 miles to New Zealand. There is a chance it will be around 300ms and good luck finding a VPS that is reasonably priced in the Oceania area.

Thanked by 1afterSt0rm
  • @LowEndAddiction said:
    "Anything lower than 300ms I would be happy with". 8194 miles from France to Australia and 11930 miles to New Zealand. There is a chance it will be around 300ms and good luck finding a VPS that is reasonably priced in the Oceania area.

OVH is so far away to use for latency sensitive applications

but there are better options available like @dediserver they have a Australian location Sydney http://speedtest.c1.syd1.dediserve.com price if i'm correct 6$USD for 1.5GB ram 1TB BW

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @simonindia said:

He should just go with Vultr then.

• @LowEndAddiction said:
    He should just go with Vultr then.

yeah that would make sense but Op doesn't seems to responding to any suggestions

• hostmazehostmaze Member, Host Rep

Why don't you go with a Shoutcast Hosting instead? 20gb of space are about $5 at https://hostmaze.com
    i.imgur.com/EdpGRNV.png

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2016

ttjj said: As a bit of an idea, This is how much resources it currently uses (Using "top")

It is odd... As i see, you are using a couple of autodj instances that they transcoding your mp3(?) files for streaming. The load should not be an issue at all, if you use just a couple of transcoders and not a really big bunch of them (usually in shoutcast you run out of bandwidth resources long before you run out of cpu power).
    So, have you search what is causing high load (in your screenshot there is some higher than should be load but not an extensive usage of the cpu power)? It maybe has nothing to do with cpu or openvz, but an oversold openvz node with a HDD that your provider is pushing it to its limit (extensive I/O).
    IMO, OpenVZ should be much better for your task than KVM (assuming extreme privacy is not a theme for the server), because it has almost zero overhead and all the resources are just for the shoutcast server. With one condition: the provider you choose is good and he do not push the limits to the ceiling.
    And do not think that with KVM you get always dedicated resources. Especially in your case, that it seem to me, higher than normal cpu load maybe is caused by a high I/O in the node you are (because you use the disc for the transcoding).
    I am running shoutcast in a Kidechire (the small atoms of ~300 benchmark rate) and with openvz web panel on it. This machine has 12 different openvz instances, one for icecast, 2 with shoutcast, one with an opencloud server, two with small nginx webservers, a squid instance, a small backup instance, a desktop that is being used occasionally etc.
    So, in this dedi with plain HDD (no raid, no ssd no nothing), a weak (less-weak-can-not-be done-in-a-server-atom) cpu and just 2 GB of mem, the load of the streaming vps are very low.
    In a decent vps with a modern cpu and a decent openvz setup (from providers like ramnode, inception hosting etc.), you will get more resources than you are actually need for a fraction of $50 per year.
    You should also try Digital Ocean. Their 512MB plan normally will absolutely fit your needs. It's a little higher than your budget ($60 per year) but you can try there the load of the server, to do some production testing.
    And because of the transcoding, avoid slow HDD setups. Maybe this is the key for your vps, using SSD or fast disk setups and not focusing on virtualization, cpu and/or memory.

And a question: why do you care about latency? It does not really affect a stable shoutcast streaming, it is more important to be sure that you have enough bandwidth space to serve your listeners when your service grows (getting more than 10-20Mpbs depending on the listener number).

• Nothing wrong with OVH. Latency from BHS to NZ is only ~200ms