Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If a server @ Hetzner dies - do they save the disk and use them in a new server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If a server @ Hetzner dies - do they save the disk and use them in a new server?

I have 4 servers at Hetzner just now. Planning to combine three, so I just have two servers.
One of the servers has 4 x 4 TB Enterprise disks, and I will store allot of backups and other files on that server.

If the server it self brakes, do they move the (working) hard drives to a new server? I understand if one of the disks fails, that's that for that disk. But if the motherboard or PSU or something goes, all the data is still intact.

Anybody with experience with this scenario?

Comments

• That's usually the preferred action for a PSU or MB dying. They'll repair the server itself, or just swap the drives into a new machine.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • emgemg Veteran

This raises an interesting, more general question: How do providers manage proper disposal of drives to protect customer data? Do they even bother to consider data destruction requirements?

• @emg said:

agreed.

I'd say for germany the answer is: hell yeah, at least if they are a somewhat bigger company.

• emg said: This raises an interesting, more general question: How do providers manage proper disposal of drives to protect customer data? Do they even bother to consider data destruction requirements?

I'm currently running dban on 80 odd drives for this very reason.

• @emg said:
    This raises an interesting, more general question: How do providers manage proper disposal of drives to protect customer data? Do they even bother to consider data destruction requirements?

Depends on the volume - some will have a 3rd party handle the destruction of the drives. Smaller providers may just take a drill to them.

• But what happens with hard drives when you buy a used server? Like me with the 4 x 4 TB server. Can I run recovery program to see if there is files left on the drives?

• I would always use shred for this reason

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@myhken said:
    But what happens with hard drives when you buy a used server? Like me with the 4 x 4 TB server. Can I run recovery program to see if there is files left on the drives?

Some providers may not overwrite the whole drive therefore you might be able to yes however we personally use shred to avoid any issues as @Sven mentioned.

• LeeLee Veteran

myhken said: But what happens with hard drives when you buy a used server? Like me with the 4 x 4 TB server. Can I run recovery program to see if there is files left on the drives?

They definitely do scrub the drives, using what specifc method I don't know.

• emgemg Veteran

Various people responded in various forms, "Yes, they definitely perform proper data destruction before reuse." I am not sure that it is true for many cases. Obviously no provider wants to admit publicly that they do not have full and complete data destruction plan and procedures.

Imagine this VPS provider structure:

• The customer rents a VPS from a reseller, branded with the reseller's name.
    • The reseller gets the VPS from a VPS provider.
    • The provider leases a dedicated server from a dedicated server provider.
    • The server provider leases the dedicated server, power, networking, etc. from the data center.
    • The data center leases building space, power, network, etc.

I can imagine all kinds of failure scenarios in the layered example above, where nobody is sure who owns the responsibility for proper data destruction. Not just disk drive failures, but business failures - what if a company goes bankrupt and doesn't pay their bills? Does the layer above them assume the cost and effort to wipe drives, or do they simply redeploy them, since the data appeared to be "owned" by the bankrupt company? It gets messy fast.

What if a VPS provider owns a dedicated server in a remote data center and a drive fails? The VPS provider orders a replacement drive from the data center itself or another source (shipped to the data center). The datacenter staff replaces the drive and then what?

• Does the data center destroy the failed drive (e.g., drive shredder, drill press, disassembly)?
    • Does the data center ship the failed drive to the VPS provider for destruction?
    • Does the data center put the failed drive in the trash?

I wonder whether the third option is the most likely.

• If you're a small provider, I'll shoot them if you ship them to me.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited February 2016

All providers should/will probably scrub customers disks after terminating their services. But mistakes can happen - I once ordered a dedicated somewhere, wanted to install my OS over IPMI and yada yada, a Windows Server was booting up, containing all files from the previous customer and whatnot.

I didn't abuse that ofcourse, but it was a good lesson to always scrub yoru data by yourself before cancelling a server. Unless you're being comfortable with the fact that anyone might theoretically get access to it.

Back to the thread, I was with Hetzner a few years ago and my mainboard died. They did exactly what was written above, providing a new server and swapping the disks.

Thanked by 1myhken