Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Cluster Network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Cluster Network

alterarchalterarch Member
edited January 2013 in General

As my stock of VPSs gradually increases, I find an ever persistent need to find some way to join them together. I have tried Webmin, but that only seems to scratch the surface of what I really need. Is there a way to combine VPSs to make them into a virtual 'cloud' where they act as one, utilise the space on the HDD and the available RAM together. If that is not possible, I was looking for ways to create a backup server for my computer, where I could combine multiple VPS's data together so that it is backed up in as many places as possible. For instance, if I had 3 servers, and uploaded a folder to the master, both slaves would keep a direct copy of this folder.

If none of this is really possible, is there some sort of centralised control software that will allow me to manage, monitor and utilize all my VPSs in one place?

Comments

• @alterarch said: where they act as one, utilise the space on the HDD and the available RAM together.

That's not possible unfornately. If they were on the same network you can build HA clusers (since you have high network speed - 1 Gbit or even 10 Gbit).

@alterarch said: For instance, if I had 3 servers, and uploaded a folder to the master, both slaves would keep a direct copy of this folder.

Yes you can and quite easily too. You can setup a cronjob which will run every X minutes and will rsync the folder you upload to, to all your slaves.

@alterarch said: If none of this is really possible, is there some sort of centralised control software that will allow me to manage, monitor and utilize all my VPSs in one place?

If the host is using SolusVM, there was a project here on LET in which you could add all your SolusVM VPSs and manage them from there, if that is what you mean. I can't remember the name though so someone else fill me in ;-)

• @Evixo said: That's not possible unfornately. If they were on the same network you can build HA clusers (since you have high network speed - 1 Gbit or even 10 Gbit).

>
    Er yes it is.. look at TAHOE-LFS or gridfs, not sure on the ram or cpu though.

• @BradND said: not sure on the ram or cpu though.

Sorry, was actually referring to RAM and CPU.

• For disk space: I would recommend using GlusterFS - quick setup time, smallish footprint(256mb vps is fine), pretty easy to figure out, and it works.

You could* use all the leftover disk space on your VM's to create one large glusterfs - of course, if one of your VPS is down in the stripe above, the data would be inconsistent. You could also use glusterfs to make a mirror, so one node would mirror to another. There are probably more options with glusterfs, but these two came out of my head first.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited January 2013

If you want a cloud you need to spend 20k+ Can't just put 2 servers together and call it a cloud :), But if you setup a full cloud then the onapp cloud control panel is great.

• @MonsteR said: you want a cloud you need to spend 20k+ Can't just put 2 servers together and call it a cloud :),

Yes, you can,. cloud is not protected...

• Your biggest bottleneck would be network latency. If all the VPSs are in the same DC and on a vlan then it would be like building a normal cluster. You will still need a main node to schedule workload. The thing that you can easily share is the disk space, but not things like a database, because the network latency would kill it, if the VPSs are in multiple locations.