Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH server keeps going offline
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH server keeps going offline

I have a server with OVH I have installed proxmox on the server. I have maybe 30 virtual machines on them. Every night around 7PM the server goes offline and everytime I try to log into putty I put in the information and as soon as I put in the correct password putty disappears not allowing me to login the only way I can login to the server is to reboot it and then login SSH and its fine until the next night at around 7PM. I have installed winscp and I rebooted the server and looking at /var/log but I do not know what I am looking for to see why the server is going offline OVH says its just showing a network drop around that time that's all that they can see. Does anyone know what I am looking for in the logs to find the problem. There is so much in the logs.

Comments

• You can setup a cronjob to do the checking from the server instead of checking from outside (wget/curl some site every minute with a short timeout, and save it to a log file). Their Ddos protection is know to block randomly their legit users. I heard cases of people saying it's offline because of this. Also, you can try using another box to ssh (DO, vultr, etc) when you're blocked. That way you will know for sure if it's just your IP that is blocked or everyone else.

• Also, perhaps you have fail2ban installed? Check your syslog, auth for any message.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

Have you reached out to them and asked why? Like they said above. It could be Ddos but I would not think that would just happen every night at the same time.

It could be a backup that is bogging down the server and causing it to crash. Reach out to OVH and see what they say.

• @CenTexHosting said:
    Have you reached out to them and asked why? Like they said above. It could be Ddos but I would not think that would just happen every night at the same time.

It could be a backup that is bogging down the server and causing it to crash. Reach out to OVH and see what they say.

I asked them they told me to send them the logs but I don't know exactly what file/folder to send to them to see where the problem is.

• If you are fine with payed support - i can detect the reason and solve it.

• check dmesg and copy the output to pastebin.

Your post is not very clear, is the server rebooting or is the network just becoming unreachable?

• NoobletteNooblette Member
    edited February 2016

@Jacob said:
    check dmesg and copy the output to pastebin.

Your post is not very clear, is the server rebooting or is the network just becoming unreachable?

Sorry the network is becoming unreachable I cant seem to connect to SSH it just disappears.

There is nothing in the dmesg right now. In order for me to get anything to respond on the server I have to reboot it for proxmox to comeback online.

Do you know which file will tell me the error.

OVH support mentioned to me this:

@Profforg said:
    If you are fine with payed support - i can detect the reason and solve it.

If I can figure out the file that will tell me the error I can forward it to OVH and they will help me for free.

• edited February 2016

Check /var/log/kern.log and /var/log/kern.log.1

Try kern.log first, if the date at the top of the file is not yesterday's date, then use kern.log.1

• @ALinuxNinja said:
    Check /var/log/kern.log and /var/log/kern.log.1

Try kern.log first, if the date at the top of the file is not yesterday's date, then use kern.log.1

I found the date in the kernel log going to paste it to paste bin and send it to OVH and also post a copy here.

How would I find an error ?

• Profforg said: If you are fine with payed support - i can detect the reason and solve it.

Good luck on that one, was assisting this user via PM over some real basic stuff on Proxmox including Ubuntu blocking root login on a new VM being created. Let OVH handle it.

Thanked by 2Profforg josephb