Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Dedicated Server Offerings - What do you guys want?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

More Dedicated Server Offerings - What do you guys want?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited January 2013 in General

I'm looking to expand on the dedicated server side of things, right now I'm a WholeSaleInternet reseller.
How much would you pay for something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-SE1102-1U-Server-2x-Quad-Core-Xeon-L5420-2-5GHz-16GB-500GB-3-Bays-/300850419059?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item460c151573
$50/month with two 500GB disks? I'd colocate an entire 42U worth of these, and then sell them as dedicated servers.

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

For $50 per month I would probably get a few for personal use as long as you provided an SLA.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

OK so that is a fair price? Would you be interested in four SATA disks instead of two for a total of $70/month or would you rather have two? What do you think is the optimal disk size?
    99.99% SLA for network and power, etc. of course if you turn off the server that's your problem.

• I have one of these RTO with Dacentec and it is actually a good machine, the ONLY thing I do not like about it is the lack of IPMI. As for the price, its pretty good being that wholesale internet has a dual 5420 with 8 gigs of ram and 250gig hd for 39.00 right now. For basically 10 more dollars you get double ram and hd.

4 500 disks in raid 10.

If you could do that for $50/month that would be good otherwise I can get them somewhere else for only a little more with heaps of ips.

edited January 2013

OK, so Dual Xeon L5420, 16GB RAM, 4x 500GB SATA in RAID10, Unmetered 50Mbps bandwidth, 99.99% network and power Uptime SLA, 12-hour disk replacement guarantee, 24-hour complete server replacement guarantee, for $55/month? I know, it's $5/month more but gotta make profit somehow LOL. and 40x$5 is an extra $200/month but not much of a difference for the customer.

How many ips would these come with?

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited January 2013

@shovenose said: $5/month more but gotta make profit somehow LOL

So your your going to be in the hole as soon as someone disputes or does not pay.. etc. What if a drive fails and the DC charges you $5 to toss one in there? Now your really fucked.

Theres something wrong if your selling a product that high and making 5 bucks. You would need a full rack to get your cost down to 15-25 bucks. (call it 20)

50 - 20 = 30. Lets say you have 40 of them then thats 1200 instead of a lousy $5.

Your also going to need to buy hard drives, have some spares and et.

Also if your making $5 its going to be nothing after transaction fee for 55$.

• DestroyeRCoDestroyeRCo Member
    edited January 2013

@HC_Ro said: 50 - 20 = 30. Lets say you have 40 of them then thats 1200 instead of a lousy $5.

TRUE. I'll give you the best tip to get rich with hosting/servers business. Focus in the South America market, put the price so high, imagine your going to charge $50 for a 512MB ram to the UK queen. Rinse and repeat.

Nonono I didn't mean I'm going to make just $5 profit. I'm going to be making a lot of profit since the servers are only like $300 including drives, and if I get a full 42U rack the colo will be cheap per server.
    @trewq: how many you want? Realistically, I'll probably let people choose from 3 to 30.

15 ips at the $55/month. I'm in for two servers if you have a registered LLC and get a service contract drawn up.

edited January 2013

Sounds good to me, can you 1. provide valid IP justification. 2. have a verified PayPal or pay by card with id scans. 3. wait until May 2013 :)

But seriously, thank you so much everybody in this thread, I'll get busy working on this and should be ready to provide servers beginning May 2013, when I'm going to LLC and buy a crapton of datacenter space. Looking forward to this!

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited January 2013

@trewq said: 15 ips at the $55/month. I'm in for two servers if you have a registered LLC and get a service contract drawn up.

That's setting the bar pretty high these days since he'd be paying the upstream for the IPs.

I can do all those things. I know it's a pretty high bar to set but I can get more ips and only just better specs for about the same price I'm just trying to help him out.

edited January 2013

Well, cya all in May then!

• @shovenose said: IPs are just $0.50/mo for me. and if I get my own IPs, then they are free :)

For 15 IPs this still means out of the $55/month you're down another $7.5 making it $47.5. It all adds up when prices are already so low.

edited January 2013

Yes, but with low prices I will never have any idle servers. Besides the more servers I have provisioned the sooner it's worth buying/building an actual datacenter.

edited January 2013

Thing is, if I have 100 servers resold from WSI, and another 500 sold by me from my actual rack space, that's 600 x $50 :P $30,000/month is nothing shabby, and the DC won't just be sitting there empty.

• @trewq said: but I can get more ips and only just better specs for about the same price I'm just trying to help him out.

Keeping up with the Joneses is not always the best business plan. Whoever is selling at that price is very much in the minority, I can't imagine it's their "main" business or the network is very good. Something has to give.

• @shovenose said: Thing is, if I have 100 servers resold from WSI, and another 500 sold by me from my actual rack space, that's 600 x $50 :P $30,000/month is nothing shabby, and the DC won't just be sitting there empty.

Don't mean to be a debby downer but this will NEVER happen

• @shovenose said: Thing is, if I have 100 servers resold from WSI, and another 500 sold by me from my actual rack space, that's 600 x $50 :P $30,000/month is nothing shabby, and the DC won't just be sitting there empty.

That's income, but how much of it is profit? What are the costs? That's the real problem.

My prices are supposed to be unbeatable (not counting massive providers like OVH).
    How about Xeon E3-1230V2, 16GB RAM, 2x 1TB HD, $60?

edited January 2013

@Spencer: you just watch :) I bet you a server it will.

• BK_BK_ Member

In all honesty, I would be tempted to pick one of these up - however that being said, I'm not sure how inexperienced/unpredictable you are based on some things I've seen on the forums (not trying to bash, just giving my opinion). If you can prove that you've got the experience and you're capable of execution by the time these turn up then you'll have quite a few customers, I'm sure :)

I'm fully capable of getting the servers set up May 2013, providing there is enough interest. I need to know that I can fill up a 42U rack within the first two months.

• BK_BK_ Member

@shovenose said: I bet you a server it will.

Oh no, don't pull a Fran and lose the servers in a bet down in Vegas and then win them back and create a huge cover story that's almost flawless ;) @Francisco

LOL! @BK_ funny thing is, guess where I'm gonna colo?

• @concerto said: That's income, but how much of it is profit? What are the costs? That's the real problem.

This. Things add up quick, and those systems aren't going to be sipping power. A lot of the very low cost providers have scale, and other higher margin products in their bag of tricks.

No, but I'm also going to be selling power efficient Atom servers at $35/mo so those will balance out with the power hogs. Also some stuff like Xeon E1230-v2 those are quite friendly to the power budget.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited January 2013

@shovenose said: I'm fully capable of getting the servers set up May 2013, providing there is enough interest. I need to know that I can fill up a 42U rack within the first two months.

I can tell you that interest gathered in marketing may not reflect real sales - possible far from it. You'll get a lot of hands up for interest, but when it comes to buying, it's a different story.

If you are going to base your figures on some votes on a forum to rent a rack and get all the servers, there will be problems.

Yeah, I know