Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smallest VPS to run Nagios?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Smallest VPS to run Nagios?

sdotsensdotsen Member
edited January 2013 in General

How much RAM would I need to run a Nagios box that would check 4 hosts with about 3-5 checks per host?

I already have a setup in LA, but would like to add another node in the Midwest for redundancy. I did t want to pay too much, my LA node runs more than just Nagios so it has more RAM.

Comments

• A 128MB might do fine if not 256MB.

• jhjh Member

If you already have one set up and want another one, you can just do free -m on the existing one.

• Nagios works fine on my 128MB box.

• My Nagios runs just fine on a 128MB. I wouldn't recommend using Apache, but you should be able to get away with it.

• I run mine on a 64m vps:
    root@mickey:~# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 64 44 19 0 0 32
    -/+ buffers/cache: 11 52
    Swap: 64 11 52

That vps is running munin and nagios with nginx as the web server

• 19mb spare @Holoshed -- Enough for a good MySQL setup, is it not? :)

• HoloshedHoloshed Member
    edited January 2013

@eastonch said: Enough for a good MySQL setup, is it not? :)

It all goes to show you do not always need as much ram for stuff as you think if you use the right alternatives like nginx instead of apache.

I could use it for mysql but no need as I have plenty of other servers for that though.

• I'm going to try for 64mb VPS if not 128 should be it. Thanks guys.

• 128MB is fine if Xen, OpenVZ VPS with 256MB RAM should do the trick too. Also switch Apache to MPM Worker - using less RAM.