Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone used wholesaleinternet.net?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone used wholesaleinternet.net?

comments/recommendations/warnings?

Comments

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

Fast support, good uptime, great prices. not much else to it.

• You get what you pay for. They have good support, but the response time is a bit high.

• lukenstinelukenstine Member
    edited February 2016

@entrailz said:
    Fast support, good uptime, great prices. not much else to it.

so u definitely recommend them?

• i jus got the Intel Core2Duo Preconfigured

• If you ordered today, expect it Thursday-Friday. I ordered on a weekend and got mine early AM on a Wednesday.

• When they setup the server you might see some weird configurations like mirrors for a different continent or non-default programs installed.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Silvenga said: When they setup the server you might see some weird configurations like mirrors for a different continent or non-default programs installed.

That sounds kind of fishy. No backdoors, right?

• Silvenga said: When they setup the server you might see some weird configurations like mirrors for a different continent or non-default programs installed.

I've always received very minimal Debian and Ubuntu installs from them

• Check the age of the hard drive(s). Wholesale is a budget provider and some of their drives have 10's of thousands of hours on them. Definitely make sure you have reliable and tested backups...This also applies, regardless of drive age

• Been with them for about 4 or 5 months and been very happy. Had one small outage on my server that lasted a couple of hours, but support was pretty quick considering the cost. Network has been solid, server has run great, price is right. DirectAdmin for a one time low setup fee is an added bonus. I only wish I could find another budget dedi provider that offered DirectAdmin so I could have a secondary server elsewhere.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited February 2016

black said: That sounds kind of fishy. No backdoors, right?

That's why I canceled. I have a control complex for my servers and development environments (probably a good thing). The history didn't show anything except a login to ensure that the server worked (although that doesn't mean anything with root access).

sin said: I've always received very minimal Debian and Ubuntu installs from them

It looked like a standard CD install (they didn't use the netinstaller), but it used non-default mirrors and had a weird DNS server installed (not bind9). I think it also had samba for some reason.

Thinking back, I ordered 4GB, but the motherboard only supported 3GB (A GB was required for the (headless)monitor).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

black said: That sounds kind of fishy. No backdoors, right?

I wouldn't assume malice where incompetence is more likely.

They may simply by copy-pasting some /etc/apt/sources.list from another server onto their templte.

Silvenga said: It looked like a standard CD install (they didn't use the netinstaller), but it used non-default mirrors and had a weird DNS server installed (not bind9). I think it also had samba for some reason.

Debian loves to install Samba.

Weird DNS server...nsd?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • raindog308 said: incompetence is more likely.

Perhaps but even if that's the case, the person getting screwed in the end would be the user.

• Weblogics said: Check the age of the hard drive(s). Wholesale is a budget provider and some of their drives have 10's of thousands of hours on them.

Historically drives fail quickly or randomly. Users should be maintaining backups versus trusting something mechanical.

• Just be absolutely sure to pay your invoices on time. I was about 3 days late to make a payment (their emails went to spam) and they terminated my server & erased my drives. Good thing it was just a backup box for a side project.

• I've used them in the past. Got the server in about 2 days. Overall it was good. Didn't need support so can't comment on that.

• @doughmanes said:
    Historically drives fail quickly or randomly. Users should be maintaining backups versus trusting something mechanical.

I agree on the backups and had mentioned them in my previous post.

In regards to hard drive failures. At work, over the years, we have shipped 1000's of pc's and servers for our clients. Yes, bad drives can happen quickly or randomly. However our experience and records clearly demonstrate that hard drives >4 yrs and older (35,000 hours +) have an exponentially higher failure rate and this is across all drive brands. It remains to be seen how this failure rate will extrapolate to SSD drives after similar years of use.

• @OnraHost_Zack said:
    Just be absolutely sure to pay your invoices on time. I was about 3 days late to make a payment (their emails went to spam) and they terminated my server & erased my drives. Good thing it was just a backup box for a side project.

Pretty sure this is the process with all providers.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Well, I tried to sign up with them for the $10 Intel core duo dedicated server but, my order was incorrectly marked as fraud and they won't re-review it. I've just been told to find someone else..

• david_reid said: Well, I tried to sign up with them for the $10 Intel core duo dedicated server but, my order was incorrectly marked as fraud and they won't re-review it. I've just been told to find someone else..

You're not the first person that's happened to, any chance you've got an entry on Fraud Record?

• @Nekki said:
    You're not the first person that's happened to, any chance you've got an entry on Fraud Record?

I've just took a look at my FraudRecord report. I have had one from OnraHost.. I'm going to contact them to get it removed.. Thanks.

• How do you guys query fraudrecord? I might want to see if I have any

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

@masterqqq said:
    How do you guys query fraudrecord? I might want to see if I have any

You need an account on their website then use the query functionality on the website itself.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

They're okay, considering the prices... you'll have the occasional power failure and network downtime, support could improve a bit. Overall I'd recommend if you are looking for cheap servers for non mission critical tasks.

• I have a server purchased from them for $ 25 and I am satisfied with what offer. For now fulfill all my requirements and warmly recommend them to all who have a limited budget like me.

• I ordered their $15 server yesterday and it was setup in 10 minutes. I also created a support ticket and got an answer in 5 minutes.

I didn't have any billing problem using Paypal.

• @Winne said:
    I ordered their $15 server yesterday and it was setup in 10 minutes. I also created a support ticket and got an answer in 5 minutes.

I didn't have any billing problem using Paypal.

Same, just ordered the $10 core duo, setup instantly.

• My suggestion would be the same. Had a server with them for 3 years, then I had to leave due to the network downtime. Still recommend them if you don't need 99.9% uptime

@HBAndrei said:
    They're okay, considering the prices... you'll have the occasional power failure and network downtime, support could improve a bit. Overall I'd recommend if you are looking for cheap servers for non mission critical tasks.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Had a Core2Duo, Network dropped multiple times under load.