Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So You Start- New SSD Dedicated Servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So You Start- New SSD Dedicated Servers?

Anyone else see these offerings on soyoustart.com today. It was on there briefly but no order links were visible otherwise, I would of stocked up on a few or more of the servers.

Comments

• 3x SSD = raid1 + flashcache = fast

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

ALinuxNinja said: 3x SSD = raid1 + flashcache = fast

If your RAID1 is already SSDs, you don't really need flash cache.

• edited February 2016

@rm_ said:
    If your RAID1 is already SSDs, you don't really need flash cache.

Now that I think of it, you're probably right.

I'm actually curious if it would make a difference on heavily loaded disks, or if the difference would be negligible.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2016

the servers with 120GB SSD is overpriced at SyS, as better to by OVH range server with SSD drives, the difference only £10 - £15 but you will get 4 times more capacity and better network port speed.

Thanked by 1alice2k
  • @WebProject said:
    the servers with 120GB SSD is overpriced at SyS, as better to by OVH range server with SSD drives, the difference only £10 - £15 but you will get 4 times more capacity and better network port speed.

Don't forget the prices in the screen shot are CAD not £. I haven't seen anything close at OVH in terms of pricing that you mentioned. Do you have a direct link that shows these > 4x capacity servers?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

ALinuxNinja said: I'm actually curious if it would make a difference on heavily loaded disks, or if the difference would be negligible.

I suppose it would, as you are splitting the load over 3 disks, rather than 2 disks. Although, all the data is having to go to the 3rd disk first. Initially it would probably be slower, but then it would be faster after the most used data had been written to the cache.

Weblogics said: Do you have a direct link that shows these > 4x capacity servers?

check HOST-32L at URL; https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/
    no direct link as OVH modified their website

• @WebProject said:
    check HOST-32L at URL; https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/ no direct link as OVH modified their website

Same price span difference (£ vs CAD$ at ovh canada.)

Each use case is different. Not all need the extra drive space and prefer SSD over a HD.

BTW, depending on who you talk to at SYS, if you are an existing customer and in good standing with OVH, they can waive the setup fees.

• The new E5 options are interesting as well, but a bit less enticing with the setup fee. I ended up going for the standard OVH line this time around

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Some old hardware is going online again. But prices are good!

edited February 2016

Weblogics said: Each use case is different. Not all need the extra drive space and prefer SSD over a HD.

>

I am talking about SSD 480GB hard drive size, difference £15 (I know that currency is different), but you do get bigger SSD hard drive and better network speed port, but slightly slower processor 2,2 / 2,6 GHz