Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu apt-get update fail
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu apt-get update fail

Anyone knows how to fix this?
Using ubuntun 14.10

Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/utopic-updates/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]

Comments

• I hope you aren't setting up a VPS or Dedi atm, when you don't even understand the simplest error messages.

• Use a different repo

• @Frecyboy said:
    I hope you aren't setting up a VPS or Dedi atm, when you don't even understand the simplest error messages.

It is nice how everyone is saying "I hope you dont..". I am just trying to learn so let me be, if you would :)

Thanks for thw helpful replies! You are a great community!

• xavconxavcon Member
    edited February 2016

@Ympker edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace archive.ubuntu.com with old-releases.ubuntu.com
    and then apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Why don't people at least try to google before opening a thread about every little issue they face?

Thanked by 2Brad NanoG6
  • @Peroni said:
    Why don't people at least try to google before opening a thread about every little issue they face?

maybe they also don't know how to google for something like such issues.
    of course it's a matter of terms and/or phrases and if you don't know how to sharpen your search in first place, the results probably wont tell you anything.

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited February 2016

Because it's apparently easier and more convenient to get serviced by the LowEndHelpDesk rather than taking a mere two seconds to look at the error message to determine what's not right, or one second to look it up on a search engine...

Also, clusterfuck.

Duplicate entry '1533973' for key 'PRIMARY'|Gdn_Database|Query|insert GDN_Comment (`Body`, `DiscussionID`, `InsertUserID`, `Format`, `DateInserted`, `InsertIPAddress`) values (:Body, :DiscussionID, :InsertUserID, :Format, :DateInserted, :InsertIPAddress)

@Peroni said:
    Why don't people at least try to google before opening a thread about every little issue they face?

• @k0nsl said:
    Because it's apparently easier and more convenient to get serviced by the LowEndHelpDesk rather than taking a mere two seconds to look at the error message to determine what's not right, or one second to look it up on a search engine...

Also, clusterfuck.

Duplicate entry '1533973' for key 'PRIMARY'|Gdn_Database|Query|insert GDN_Comment (`Body`, `DiscussionID`, `InsertUserID`, `Format`, `DateInserted`, `InsertIPAddress`) values (:Body, :DiscussionID, :InsertUserID, :Format, :DateInserted, :InsertIPAddress)

also had the same issue posting here lol

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Ubuntu 14.10 is EOL. The repo isn't in that location anymore. You should avoid using non LTS releases.

• BradBrad Member
    edited February 2016

@jarland said:
    Ubuntu 14.10 is EOL. The repo isn't in that location anymore. You should avoid using non LTS releases.

It is nice how everyone is saying "You should avoid..". I am just trying to learn so let me be, if you would :)

Thanks for thw helpful replies! You are a great community!

@Brad said:
    It is nice how everyone is saying "You should avoid..". I am just trying to learn so let me be, if you would :)

Hmm, you're not the OP? Anyway, if you don't want advice don't read it. Non LTS releases won't receive security updates in most cases and should either be upgraded to the next version on EOL, or you should use LTS releases.

If to "let you be" I must avoid offering absolutely critical advice that is fundamental to running a server, no thanks, enjoy the unwelcome advice.

• @jarland said:
    If to "let you be" I must avoid offering absolutely critical advice that is fundamental to running a server, no thanks, enjoy the unwelcome advice.

It was a joke ;)

The OP doesn't seem to like people who comment anything other than what he's looking for, which he could easily get from taking 5 seconds on Google.

@Brad said:
    It was a joke

Ah you got me :)

Thanked by 1Brad
  • Never had this issue with Debian 3.0 - current... just saying for those hooked on Failbuntu

• Don't tell me you have operating systems running apt-get dist-upgrade since 3.0 without reinstalls.

doughmanes said: Never had this issue with Debian 3.0